Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #1
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Swapped AU2 cluster into AU3 - now strange things happening

Have an AU3 Futura i6 auto wagon.
Intermittently the fuel gauge goes to zero. Swapping the sender made no difference. So today I swapped in a spare cluster from an AU2 SR i6 auto wagon I'd wrecked and knew had no problems.

I thought I did a quick test after I plugged it in and the cruise control was working and all the lights.
However I then took it on a drive and noticed it felt sluggish taking off. After a while I realised it was not changing gear. I believe it is in 3rd all the time. The overdrive button does not register on the cluster. Nor does the cruise control now (if it did before). The temp gauge was also no longer working. Indicators, lights, fuel gauge, tacho, speedo and odometer are still working.

I hadn't read anything before that said there was any difference between an AU2 and AU3 cluster?
It's not a big deal as I'll just put the original one back tomorrow and hopefully it's all back to normal. I was curious what the problem might be though. As had been planning to do an XR cluster upgrade to another car I have.
I'll try Forscan first and see what it says. There were no errors before I did the cluster swap.

There is something else that could be involved.
The AU3 Futura has after market dual fuel lpg. It's the cheaper not injection setup. It has it's own separate lpg guage. So I'd assumed there was no involvement with the cluster. The wrecked AU2 SR was petrol only.

And just to cover everything, the AU3 Futura also has REX entertainment installed. From what I can understand these are most likely dealer fitted. But I hadn't detected any interaction with the cluster.
asimplelife is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post