Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
rjb02

Default AU V8 Wagon vs BA I6?

G'day Guys,
Just wondering if any general comments around merits either way of an AU V8 Fairmont wagon against a BA I6 wagon? I'm not so concerned about the looks/spec of the car, more around what is possible performance wise working around a base of around 4K for mods (presuming both cars start as stock)? I would love a 3V BA wagon, but have to work with what is available I'm more disposed toward the 8, but the 6 in BA form is a top motor - any feedback would be great.

Cheers,

Rhod

rjb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Well, 4k would easily do you a turbo conversion on the NA bottom end in the BA and should do a safe and reliable low to mid 200's at the wheels.

Others can fill you in on what the 5l can do for that money.

After getting my butt back into a V8 daily for the first time in years, I'd personally go the AU V8 Fairmont wagon, but IMO for 4k you'd have a slower result.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
dreadly
Banned

Go the au fairmont wagon... firstly their rare as.
secondly.... If you spent 4k on the Au roller rockers, throttle body, camshaft, get the heads flowing nicely, full exhaust.. You'll be laughing your *** off ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im pretty sure ya cant get a v8 b-series in a wagon hey.... so youd have to go the au if a v8 wagon is what your looking for.... but i reakon a stock ba 6cyl wag would be quicker than a a stock au v8 wgn hey.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU had gt40 heads standard. I have seen a few supercharger kits advertised that are supposedly 'new but never used' for around $3500 - $4000.

Go the AU. rare, awesome exhaust note, and if you get a bit more cash down the road you can buy just about anything for a windsor 302.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
aye you
The Origional, The Best

hang on, your asking weather you should purchase a V8 AU Wagon or a I6 BA wagon, in an AU focussed forum populated by a bunch of V8 nutz???????
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

For 4k you could easily have the AU up to XR8 220kw spec. Throttle body, MAF, cam, tuning etc.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
rjb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
hang on, your asking weather you should purchase a V8 AU Wagon or a I6 BA wagon, in an AU focussed forum populated by a bunch of V8 nutz???????
Fair point I've got a BA XT V8 (sedan) so relatively familiar with what I would be getting in the BA wagon spec wise, was curious to get more thoughts from the AU side of the house - I presume some bias will come through, but can live with that. I'd love a 3V BA wagon, but no go there, and the idea of an up spec wagon with a Windsor to play around with kind of appeals.

Cheers
rjb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
dreadly
Banned

Also an Au fairmont has clasS... being a wagon sleek rare class once wearing some nice shoes and dropped on it's guts..... and it's an 8.
Or a tacky cheap an nasty standard ba i6 wagon... + tha ba's are really starting to show their age.... next year they look 5-6 yrs old.
where as an au dosnt look 7 going on 8 ;) what options do both the wagons have??
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

V8 wags for the win!
Old 29-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

we also own both (sedans) and my AU outways my wifes XR6 BA in every way. Comfort, performance (pretty much on par but the eight always wins cause its driven by me!.lol), Price, parts. etc. Go the AU V8 wagon.