Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Chrysler to Join V8 Supercars?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...-1226254353651

Old 27-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chrysler to Join V8 Supercars?

I hope to god they do...might inject a little excitment and variety into that endless procession of Commodores and Falcons...

I like the comment: "We want to encourage new manufacturers to be with us," former champion and current V8 Supercar commission chairman Mark Skaife said.

...little bit different to the maniacal response several years back when Toyota expressed interest and everyone was bluntly told that they'd built the formula from the ground up and weren't having any blow-ins stealing thier thunder and riding on thier coattails...

...in plain english, they were afraid of having their asses handed to them by opposition forces using the black arts of modern technology instead of pushrod V8's like happened with the Godzilla Skylines...that whole era gave the V8 honchos a definite scare, and they didn't want to see it happen again.

Let's hope they bring in more players!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

...in plain english, they were afraid of having their asses handed to them by opposition forces using the black arts of modern technology instead of pushrod V8's like happened with the Godzilla Skylines...that whole era gave the V8 honchos a definite scare, and they didn't want to see it happen again.

Let's hope they bring in more players!
You do know the yawn fests rules are so heavily regulated that if they use pushrods or ohc it won't make a difference. A 5.0 ohv pushing out a reliable 650 hp is nothing to sneeze at anyway.
Chrysler will be the case of same shyte different body style. Bring back group A.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
You do know the yawn fests rules are so heavily regulated that if they use pushrods or ohc it won't make a difference. A 5.0 ohv pushing out a reliable 650 hp is nothing to sneeze at anyway.
Chrysler will be the case of same shyte different body style. Bring back group A.
Yes. I want to see the cars we drive racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
V8 what? Supercars? WTF is that. Got so bored by it how many years ago now it's simply "who cares" to most people these days. I don't understand why Channel 7910??? even broadcast it - don't they realise no-one is watching?
Someone must watch because they pack that many ad's in.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Another body shape to go around the track with the rest of the generic, control built taxi's and budget built family cars
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
ford lover

Why have another make there?whats there, has nothing to do with Holden and Ford.The utes are the closest event to Bathurst these days.
ford lover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

If you've read the concept of the new series - they have designed it for new manufacturers to join...

Toyota / Chrysler were targets, and anyone else who wants to have a run...

It makes me smile that people who loved the racing in the 70s and 80s won't embrace the formats now... The reason that there is a new concept for the future is because they've run V8 Supercars for such a long time...

Nostalgia is great, but it's a bit like when TV shows get revived... They never work... It's all good for the first couple of episodes... but at the end of the day it's never as good as the original...

Give it a shot, and if you don't enjoy it watch the Muscle Car Masters...
Old 30-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

Nostalgia is great, but it's a bit like when TV shows get revived... They never work... It's all good for the first couple of episodes... but at the end of the day it's never as good as the original...

Give it a shot, and if you don't enjoy it watch the Muscle Car Masters...
or school reunions...Nice to catch up every 20 years or so but not a good idea to start hanging out together on weekends again
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Yeah, it's getting more like NASCAR.

That's why I want to see Bathurst this year, before the rules change.
Old 30-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic

Yep. No more model shells was the last straw for me. It's not even auto racing anymore. Only the driver and team compete these days. Car Manu's don't.

I wan't to see the Australian Production Car Series televised.
Old 30-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

i will give you an iron clad guarantee - if you go to bathurst to watch anything that resembles v8 supercars or car of the future, you will make a mess in the most embarrasing place on your body

while at the track, no one cares - or at least should care about the exact specifications of the cars. a v8 powered machine, that dances around that thin piece of black stuff that is called bathurst . . . . . there ain't many things better

it is just the most awesome place in the world. indy, daytona, le mans, spa may all be awesome in their own way, but walk one lap around bathurst, and then watch from as many points as possible and the specification of those cars will mean nothing

you "will" enjoy it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i will give you an iron clad guarantee - if you go to bathurst to watch anything that resembles v8 supercars or car of the future, you will make a mess in the most embarrasing place on your body

while at the track, no one cares - or at least should care about the exact specifications of the cars. a v8 powered machine, that dances around that thin piece of black stuff that is called bathurst . . . . . there ain't many things better

it is just the most awesome place in the world. indy, daytona, le mans, spa may all be awesome in their own way, but walk one lap around bathurst, and then watch from as many points as possible and the specification of those cars will mean nothing

you "will" enjoy it
That's the plan! (But now I want to look into the 12-hour race.)
Old 31-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
That's the plan! (But now I want to look into the 12-hour race.)
it is ok, but it ain't bathurst

if you are in the country when the 12 hour is on, by all means go and have a look, but i personally wouldn't plan a trip around it. the 1000 is all you need to see

i guess it would be like me travelling to the states. i would go in may. memorial day is all that would matter to me. if the rolex or others were on at the same time, then i might go to them, but there is only one race that is worth travelling to the other side of the world for - and like indy (or maybe daytona depending on taste) bathurst is

disclaimer: there is only 1 bathurst - the 1000km race in october. the 12 hour and the rest are just events held in country nsw
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
it is ok, but it ain't bathurst

if you are in the country when the 12 hour is on, by all means go and have a look, but i personally wouldn't plan a trip around it. the 1000 is all you need to see

i guess it would be like me travelling to the states. i would go in may. memorial day is all that would matter to me. if the rolex or others were on at the same time, then i might go to them, but there is only one race that is worth travelling to the other side of the world for - and like indy (or maybe daytona depending on taste) bathurst is

disclaimer: there is only 1 bathurst - the 1000km race in october. the 12 hour and the rest are just events held in country nsw
I see that the 12-hour race is less than a month from now, so I won't be making that!
Old 27-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, another control roll cage with panels made up to resemble a car......

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let the GTR run again i say
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
let the GTR run again i say
if we let turbo`d cars in we better open the flood gates, ad f6 , GT,wrx,evo,etc,etc .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if we let turbo`d cars in we better open the flood gates, ad f6 , GT,wrx,evo,etc,etc .
...and the problem would be...?

Oh wait...the problem would be that the yobbos and bogans might see something without eight cylinders win a race! Arrrggghhh! We can't have that!!!

Bring back the old Bathurst...lots of vclases of car from small to large, of all cylinder numbers and capacities all sharing the track at once, you never know who's going to win, or what upsets will happen to force big changes in the leader pack, or when some underdog will put up a huge fight to end up finishing fifth or sixth in some smaller car but who wins the audiences heart.
*Sigh*...those were the good old days...I suppose there'd be a lot of fans now who've never seen anything but the FalcoDore Parade that it's become now...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
...and the problem would be...?

Oh wait...the problem would be that the yobbos and bogans might see something without eight cylinders win a race! Arrrggghhh! We can't have that!!!

Bring back the old Bathurst...lots of vclases of car from small to large, of all cylinder numbers and capacities all sharing the track at once, you never know who's going to win, or what upsets will happen to force big changes in the leader pack, or when some underdog will put up a huge fight to end up finishing fifth or sixth in some smaller car but who wins the audiences heart.
*Sigh*...those were the good old days...I suppose there'd be a lot of fans now who've never seen anything but the FalcoDore Parade that it's become now...
no problem by me mate, just don`t restrict it to one turbo......bring it on !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
4stanger