Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
rocket67

Default Ever been disappointed with a car you bought?

Last week we bought a WM Caprice to replace my daily drive car WK V8 Statesman which has done 140,000 trouble free klm.

Since their release in late 2006, i have wanted a WM Caprice V8 because to me they look fantastic. Had to wait until the prices for a used one came down to a price i can afford. This car is a late 2007 build which has done 80,000 klm.

This is the car -

It is in excellent condition, but up till now i cannot bond with the car. Can`t quite put my finger on any one issue, but my first impression upon sitting in the car was that it is not as plush inside as the WK it is replacing. ( bought the car online by auction ). My previous Commodore and Statesmans have had seats that you sit in - rather than on. These seats felt like cardboard to sit on compared to the WK. Getting used to that now.
Mechanically the engine feels a bit harsh when you sink your boot into it, but it does have lots of get up and go. On cold starts it had a slightly rattly engine ,but i have fixed that by doing an oil and filter change using my favoured Nulon hi tech fast flow engine oil.
The wheels that were on the car were scratched up pretty badly and had a very low side wall, so i have already fitted new wheels with higher profile tyres which have restored a nice comfy ride to the car.

My point is there is really nothing wrong with the car. Could just be a case of buyers remorse, and a bit of depression about parting with the WK which i really enjoyed. But it just does not live up to my preconceived notion of a classy luxury saloon. Taking it down the south east next week and hopefully will come back after a 1,000 klm drive and feel happier about the car.

Found myself checking out G6E Turbo Falcons on the net this morning. Might see if i can rent a similar car and see if i like the Ford. Could be the quickest turnover of a car i have owned. Other problem is my wife hates Fords after a previous unpleasant experience with a BA Fairmont Ghia. To make matters worse, friends of ours have just found out their Ford Focus with only 60,000 klms needs a new Auto Trans.

Anybody else regret buying a particular car?

Rocket.

rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Ever been disappointed with a car you bought?

It looks like a nice car. Once you get use to it I think you will be happy!

I usually feel a bit of buyers remorse after spending dollars to upgrade... Its a tough decision to make.

What wheels did you put back on it? the standard Caprice 18's?
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
rocket67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
It looks like a nice car. Once you get use to it I think you will be happy!

I usually feel a bit of buyers remorse after spending dollars to upgrade... Its a tough decision to make.

What wheels did you put back on it? the standard Caprice 18's?
Actually i had a very good buying experience with the wheels. Found a set of series 2 WM Caprice Wheels on Ebay. Contacted the seller - Paul of Tyrepower/Wheelpower in Greenacre, Sydney. Paul supplied the wheels with new Yokohama tyres. He sent them on Monday and they arrived Wednesday morning. Great service and very happy with the wheels. Here they are -

Rocket.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Ever been disappointed with a car you bought?

I regret buying the missus Territory.

2005 TS bought new in September 2006.
It is a lot heavier on fuel than I was expecting. And having had it for 5 years, it has aged very poorly in my opinion.
The car has only 54000kms on the clock and has wear marks all around the rear tailgate window, to the point it has chaffed through paint down to bare metal in numerous locations.
The rear doors have chaff marks on the body almost the same as the tailgate window.
The tyres wore out in less than 50000kms of standard road driving, something that really annoyed me.
I've replaced the drivers side door lock mechanism due to stripped gears. Twice.
The r/h/r window switch failed and left that window in the rolled down position and blew the fuse for that circuit while I was away at work for a week.
The rear diff bush had failed, no idea how long ago, and was causing all sorts of noises throughout the cabin.

And my missus loves it due to it's size.

I would love to trade it on a new Ranger when they come out, but seeing as it's 'her car' the likelyhood of that happening is slim to no chance.

I better stop now.......

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
rocket67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6

It is a lot heavier on fuel than I was expecting. And having had it for 5 years, it has aged very poorly in my opinion.
The car has only 54000kms on the clock and has wear marks all around the rear tailgate window, to the point it has chaffed through paint down to bare metal in numerous locations.
The rear doors have chaff marks on the body almost the same as the tailgate window.
The tyres wore out in less than 50000kms of standard road driving, something that really annoyed me.
I've replaced the drivers side door lock mechanism due to stripped gears. Twice.
The r/h/r window switch failed and left that window in the rolled down position and blew the fuse for that circuit while I was away at work for a week.
The rear diff bush had failed, no idea how long ago, and was causing all sorts of noises throughout the cabin.

I would love to trade it on a new Ranger when they come out, but seeing as it's 'her car' the likelyhood of that happening is slim to no chance.

I better stop now.......
Sorry to see you do not like the Territory. We have a couple in our business and they seem to be good cars. We have not had any problems with them.

Had always thought tyres should last around 40,000 klms, so a bit surprised to see you are unhappy about getting only 50,0000 klms out of a set?

My son is about to buy a new Diesel Turbo Territory. The Dealer brought one down to work and left it with us overnight. Wow! that donk is impressive. Lots of power and very comfortable to sit in. Even the build quality looked very good. Only thing i noticed was the rear bumper was slightly off colour. Same thing on the Caprice. I am told bumper bars are painted in different areas of the factory and it is quite normal for them to be off colour.

Lots of replies so far. Please keep them coming. The purpose of this thread is to hear stories of your buyers remorse or disappointments with cars you bought.

Rocket.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67
Sorry to see you do not like the Territory. We have a couple in our business and they seem to be good cars. We have not had any problems with them.

Had always thought tyres should last around 40,000 klms, so a bit surprised to see you are unhappy about getting only 50,0000 klms out of a set?

My son is about to buy a new Diesel Turbo Territory. The Dealer brought one down to work and left it with us overnight. Wow! that donk is impressive. Lots of power and very comfortable to sit in. Even the build quality looked very good. Only thing i noticed was the rear bumper was slightly off colour. Same thing on the Caprice. I am told bumper bars are painted in different areas of the factory and it is quite normal for them to be off colour.

Lots of replies so far. Please keep them coming. The purpose of this thread is to hear stories of your buyers remorse or disappointments with cars you bought.

Rocket.

you maybe right i always thought it was because they are plastic not metal.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Only thing i noticed was the rear bumper was slightly off colour. Same thing on the Caprice. I am told bumper bars are painted in different areas of the factory and it is quite normal for them to be off colour.
It's not that they are painted in different areas of the factory. It is the fact they are plastic and show up the paint differently to metal.
Every car with plastic bumpers will be the same, some more than others.

As for regretting buying a car. my biggest regret was getting rid of a XR8 ute for the G6ET.

If you are not happy with the seats in the WM you will not be happy with the G6ET seats. they have bugger all lateral support and are too soft(for my liking) and too many rattles for a supposedly top of the line car.
Thankfully I only have another 12 months to go and it will be gone.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6

I better stop now.......

id be happy with 50,000km on tyres i have had on my cars... mine last no where close to tthat

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Rodge
Banned

Yeah mate, a classic case of buyers remorse. I had a similar experience trading my BF2 Typhoon in for an FG F6 which got the flick in just over 1 year.

Seat comfort is a really big factor that people are often disinclined to talk about and if you're not really comfortable it's something that never really goes away.

I'd give a G6ET a go if I were you, Havana colour with cream leather and 18 inch wheels for ride comfort, I think you'll be impressed.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Yeah mate, a classic case of buyers remorse. I had a similar experience trading my BF2 Typhoon in for an FG F6 which got the flick in just over 1 year.

Seat comfort is a really big factor that people are often disinclined to talk about and if you're not really comfortable it's something that never really goes away.

I'd give a G6ET a go if I were you, Havana colour with cream leather and 18 inch wheels for ride comfort, I think you'll be impressed.
yes the g6et is a nice place to be, sat in one charcoal color iirc with sort of a dark wine red interior a couple of weeks ago.....hmmm i likey.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes the g6et is a nice place to be, sat in one charcoal color iirc with sort of a dark wine red interior a couple of weeks ago.....hmmm i likey.

Sounds like it was an F6E... with the red interior.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Sounds like it was an F6E... with the red interior.
ohh i think you might be right, damn it was nice anyway..... let me tell you it hurt to hop back in the Au afterwards .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Carrie On

My first car, 1995 MX-6. fun as hell to drive, but wasn't built for the rough roads I drive on.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I don't understand something....Your wife hate fords, you want to see if you like one and yet you are on a ford forum??

Quote:
Found myself checking out G6E Turbo Falcons on the net this morning. Might see if i can rent a similar car and see if i like the Ford. Could be the quickest turnover of a car i have owned. Other problem is my wife hates Fords after a previous unpleasant experience with a BA Fairmont Ghia. To make matters worse, friends of ours have just found out their Ford Focus with only 60,000 klms needs a new Auto Trans.
Nice car you have there but what would you like anyone to say? Perhaps this will suffice - Have you driven a ford lately?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
rocket67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I don't understand something....Your wife hate fords, you want to see if you like one and yet you are on a ford forum??

Nice car you have there but what would you like anyone to say? Perhaps this will suffice - Have you driven a ford lately?
Sure have! Love my Fords. How do you like these 2 -

So i think i am qualified to be on a Ford forum.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
GhiaGal
Starter Motor

Quote:
Sure have! Love my Fords. How do you like these 2 -

So i think i am qualified to be on a Ford forum.
I Love your cars so much......absolutely beautiful! Coveting one now lol
Old 16-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
rocket67

Hi GhiaGal, Thanks for your kind words.

Are you thinking about buying a Mustang? If so, there is a big event coming up in Melbourne called the Mustang Roundup. There were about 400 Mustangs there last year. Think it is out in the Dandenong area.

My wife and i are driving over in the 69 Mustang Grande together with a dozen or so members of the Mustang Owners Club.

Here are some more photos of the Mustangs -

This is the 68 6 cylinder coupe which won an award at its very first outing a couple of years ago -

The 69 Grande

A 69 Mach1 my son is restoring -

We have just begun a restoration on this red Mach1

We have just completed a paint job on this 66 Shelby Fastback clone for the owner-

Mustangs rule!

Rocket.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Very nice! Maybe you just have a case of buyers remorse and I meant no offence to you. Everyone has a right to be on this forum. It was just odd how I read your post. My apologise
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
rocket67

Smile Re: Ever been disappointed with a car you bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Very nice! Maybe you just have a case of buyers remorse and I meant no offence to you. Everyone has a right to be on this forum. It was just odd how I read your post. My apologise
Did not take offence at your post. Seemed a logical question to ask. So no need to apologise. Love that Ford Coupe in your avatar!

Rocket.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

My first new car was a disappointment.
Was a povo pack Ranger just after they released the PJ udate. Got a good deal on it and was very excited about having a new daily. But the car got delayed which was not a problem in itself but the dealer to make up for it lent me a new BF falcon ute. Giving that back to drive away in my ranger was very much a disappointment and on the drive home I could not help but notice the firm ride, workman ute seating position and cheaper looking interior lacking in space.
Dont get me wrong I love the ranger so much so that I now have a XLT 4x4 but always wished I had known the falcon ute was only a little bit extra. After a ride in a mates XR6 the Ranger had to go and make way for a falcon after only a year.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Was dissapointed in the XR6 that i bought.

When i bought the car at the yard, it was great. the first 2-3months were awesome.

Then the bright color started to annoy me.
The smallest little scratch in the leather started to annoy me.
All the ticks and noises started to annoy me.

So i sold it.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a little bit of disappointment in the my current XR6. Typical B-Series, with typical B-Series problems. By far the best car I've owned pound for pound which usually outweighs any dramas. But like they say, it's usually the ones close to you that hurt you the most.

I've been disappointed when seeing my old cars getting around. My first car was being hammered around by some white trash kid who, I dare say has probably killed the poor Commodore. My 2nd, a VR Commodore was bought by an Italian bloke who kept it looking good and well maintained for his daughter.. then sold it to some white trash and it's turned into the typical VR/VS bogan chariot. Lower than it should be & sounds broken.

All the effort and dollars put into it, and someone just destroys it.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

As the thread topic suggests, I've owned numerous cars that I've been disappointed with, the main disappointments have been with spending a fortune on upgrades and repairs only to find that for every one thing you renew or replace two other things then need doing as well :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Bought a caprice circa 99/2000 and regretted it.
3 engines and still would consume 4 litres of oil in 400klm.
Eventually, got a full refund.

Quote: