Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
beancounter1

Default Problems changing EB Rear Brake Pads

I am changing the rear brake pads because they are fully worn out. Have removed everything - include the whole rear brake caliper from the car.

The caliper piston will not retract enough to allow me to fit the new brake pads.

I cannot rotate the caliper piston in any direction - it is VERY tight. I do not have the special Ford tool, but I have used multigrips on the outside of the piston and I have tried a flat bladed screwdriver (with little success). Are there any other tricks to the trade apart from buying an expensive tool for one use ?

The caliper is only 12 months old, so I can't be stuffed yet.

It's the right hand side caliper, which I think needs to rotate anti-clockwise to make it retract.

Can the caliper be dismantled, rotated internally with a spanner and re-assembled ?

beancounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

have you tryed compacting it with a g clamp

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
lowltd
lowltd

You can buy a multi tool cube for turning the piston in, quite cheap and does a range of vehicles. You have possibly burred an edge on the piston with the multigrips so check for that. The piston will be tight, fresh brake fluid is the best thing to lube it with. You may also need to remove the boot seal if you haven't already. You can't diassemble it to wind it back in either.
Good luck
lowltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

yeah man, a flat piece of wood and a g clamp works wonders. we did a job on front pads in bout 15 mins all up, both wheels

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
yeah man, a flat piece of wood and a g clamp works wonders. we did a job on front pads in bout 15 mins all up, both wheels
You talking about my pads mate you still got those pics

Old 13-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
You talking about my pads mate you still got those pics
nah shaun, only took 1 pic, and that was of the stuffed pad, although i still have the pad too haha, now thats dedication

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
nah shaun, only took 1 pic, and that was of the stuffed pad, although i still have the pad too haha, now thats dedication
post it up its a crack up very lazy maintenance

Old 13-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

the tool is like 30 bucks.... you just ask for a ea-ed rear brake piston tool at bursons or repbco or similar

it fits inside the piston and has a notch which fits in the little recess that the pad locates in...

if they are as bad as you say they are you need to reco them......dont just try and wind the piston back in......remove it, replace the rubber boot, lube everything up with some fluid then rebuild
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

when you used the multi grips were you careful not to damage the piston in the are it has to go back into its bore area? didnt for change from that system on my au you just use the old pad and a g-clamp and slowly push it in watching the fluid with lid off.

lol i was to slow already answered.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
beancounter1

Compacting the piston with a G Clamp does NOT work on the REAR brake pistons as they only WIND in/out on a thread. I believe that only the FRONT brake can be compressed in.

I have not yet removed the rubber dust bucket. Can this be easily removed and replaced ? I note that the piston is made of very soft aluminium.
beancounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post