Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Front speakers

hey guys/girls

i know there is a fair few threads made about this but i wanna get some pics and of what people have done so yea...

im looking at upgrading my front speakers to maybe 6 and a half inch splits... and also upgrading my rears to 6x9s....

now i know that all au falcons have 5x7s in the rear and the front...

i know there are some plates u can buy so u can fit 6x9s in the rear...(if u have them in the rear can u please post a pic up of how it is setup?)

but has anybody got 6 and half inch splits in the front without any custom work???

i don't mind building some spaces and stuff but no fibre glassing...if so can u alsp please post some pics up of your setup???

thanks in advance peeps.

51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

please don't ask how I made them again! lol
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Hey how ya going. I got 6 1/2 in Alpine type R cross overs in mine. they weren't cheap but sound wicked. When i bought them i told the guys were i got them from they were for the front doors of an AU and Alpine actually had the mounting brackets and everything in the box to screw them in so it all looks stock.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lueoval
post some pics up of your setup???
I've got Hertz 6 1/2" splits in the front of mine. I bought the speakers before I measured anything up and believe me they only just fit (there is a cigarette paper clearance front and back).
Before you buy your speakers check the mounting depth ;)

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
MRJUCY
Fordless

I have 6 & a halfs in the front of mine, they fit fine the only mod needed was to make a couple of new holes to screw them in.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can sombody chuck up a drawing/pattern so i can make some spacers without having to pull my door appart just to remove the speaker to screw up 5 pieces of MDF before i make hte right shape??

i have 6.5" splits going in mine

also is there any tricks to doing the tweeters?? id like to put them in the stock spot

how do you get the wire up there etc?? and or where does the wire run so i can tap into it instead of running new stuff thru to the door and tweeters etc

thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
also is there any tricks to doing the tweeters?? id like to put them in the stock spot

how do you get the wire up there etc??
I wanted to keep the original plug (I'll put stock stuff back in when I sell the car) so I ran new cable to the tweeters as follows

The wire pullthrough is quite easy to find under the dash - feed it down beside the edge of the dash. I planned to replace the door speaker wiring as well but chickened out when I realised what was involved.

The arrows in the pic show where the tweeters mount - top hole and bottom slot. With my Hertz tweeters it was simply a matter of heating the mounting "frame" (plastic thing) and bending it to shape. There's a step between the mounting hole and the slot which may make tweeter fitting a little difficult.

I can't find my templates (L and R) for the door spacers but if you like I can email you a larger than life pic which you can copy.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahhh awesome thanks guys.. i think ill pull my door panel off on sunday and have a look...

ill be putting in alpine 6 and halfers as well..
Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good ronwest
shoot it thru
blackers10@hotmail.com

or add me on msn and send it thru there
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
joseph23

Hello can i get a pic of that spacer emailed to me also? my email is thepeacemaker05@hotmail.com
joseph23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph23
Hello can i get a pic of that spacer emailed to me also?
sure... sent to you and blackers a few minutes ago.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that mate!!

mine are 6.5s.. so should be pretty straight forward...

and if my speakers need more depth.. can always do what jim did and mod the cover!
now to decide which speakers im going to use..
monstorous jaycar carbon fibre items with 1 dented dust cap
or lanzar much smaller depth and weight/size magnet

or save furiously and buy a new set
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
thanks for that mate!!

mine are 6.5s.. so should be pretty straight forward...

and if my speakers need more depth.. can always do what jim did and mod the cover!
now to decide which speakers im going to use..
monstorous jaycar carbon fibre items with 1 dented dust cap
or lanzar much smaller depth and weight/size magnet

or save furiously and buy a new set
Use a vacuum cleaner to pull the centre cap out...... ;) works a treat
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have 6" only in te front doors ... and have the tweeter mounted in the same spacer next to the driver ... so it is all hidden behind the grille.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #15
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can someone send me that e-mail to please....i_Smell_bacon_03@hotmail.com
Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

email sent
Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #17
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey guys...i picked up a set of alpine 6.5inch TYPE R component speakers...rrp was $299 but i got them down to $255 good deal??
Old 13-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds alrite mate!!
Old 13-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats awesome, and if they are 2007/8 they will come with a black plastic spacer that clips straight into the stock 5x7 screw holes and has the holes for screwing the new Type R in it.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #20
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys i got the speakers today...pulled my door trim off and stuff tonight...i found its to hard to install myself...where do u guys have your tweeters?? that are not in the stock place for them?? if u get me.

anybody know a place on the southside of brissy that can install them cheap??

and where do u guys have your cross overs?
Old 14-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
ronwest

Quote:
guys i got the speakers today...pulled my door trim off and stuff tonight...i found its to hard to install myself...where do u guys have your tweeters?? that are not in the stock place for them?? if u get me.

anybody know a place on the southside of brissy that can install them cheap??

and where do u guys have your cross overs?
Can't help with the tweeters - mine are in the stock position.

I installed my stuff myself but I have heard that Northfield at Moorooka do a good install.

I have my crossovers located with the amp under the front passengers seat. I also located my fuse/distribution block there as well. It's all easily accessible with the seat either fully forward or fully back.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Can't help with the tweeters - mine are in the stock position.

I installed my stuff myself but I have heard that Northfield at Moorooka do a good install.

I have my crossovers located with the amp under the front passengers seat. I also located my fuse/distribution block there as well. It's all easily accessible with the seat either fully forward or fully back.

how did u get the wires threw the door into the car???

i can't see where the wires...come into the car from the door

Last edited by 51OAU; 14-10-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 14-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #23
ronwest

Quote:
how did u get the wires threw the door into the car???

i can't see where the wires...come into the car from the door
As mentioned above I didn't replace my door wiring.

This is why...

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=78731&PN=1

Too much trouble for me.

In any event, I haven't suffered any sq problems (as far as my old ears can detect).
Old 14-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #24
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As mentioned above I didn't replace my door wiring.

This is why...

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=78731&PN=1

Too much trouble for me.

In any event, I haven't suffered any sq problems (as far as my old ears can detect).

are u saying u used that tutorial??? or u had them professional installed?
Old 14-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #25
ronwest

As I said in post #8 "I planned to replace the door speaker wiring as well but chickened out when I realised what was involved." and again in post #23 "As mentioned above I didn't replace my door wiring." you can see that I DID NOT replace my door wiring.

I had planned to but when I saw what was involved as per the link in post #24 I didn't replace my door wiring.

As it happens I don't think that there is a significant degradation of sound quality because I did not replace my door wiring.

If I had have replaced my door wiring I would have been able to compare but I'll never really know because I did not replace my door wiring.

The main reason I did not replace my door wiring was because of the difficulties getting it through the molex plug (as seen in post #24).

The other reason I did not replace my door wiring was that I was told that It would not make a significant difference to the sound quality at the sound levels I use (ie non-competition).

Cost was not an issue as to why I did not replace my door wiring as I had already bought the cable but because of those reasons stated above I did not replace my door wiring.

If there is an easier way to get around the molex plugs I would consider replacing my door wiring but as I couldn't find any info regarding that scenario I did not replace my door wiring.

I'm always looking for new and better ways to do things but as it stands I did not replace my door wiring.

I guess that if it was an issue where sound quality was affected I would consider paying a professional to do it but as it's not I did not replace my door wiring.

So all things considered it really is a non-issue that I did not replace my door wiring.

edit: to clarify... I did not replace my door wiring.

Last edited by ronwest; 14-10-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 14-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I said in post #8 "I planned to replace the door speaker wiring as well but chickened out when I realised what was involved." and again in post #23 "As mentioned above I didn't replace my door wiring." you can see that I DID NOT replace my door wiring.

I had planned to but when I saw what was involved as per the link in post #24 I didn't replace my door wiring.

As it happens I don't think that there is a significant degradation of sound quality because I did not replace my door wiring.

If I had have replaced my door wiring I would have been able to compare but I'll never really know because I did not replace my door wiring.

The main reason I did not replace my door wiring was because of the difficulties getting it through the molex plug (as seen in post #24).

The other reason I did not replace my door wiring was that I was told that It would not make a significant difference to the sound quality at the sound levels I use (ie non-competition).

Cost was not an issue as to why I did not replace my door wiring as I had already bought the cable but because of those reasons stated above I did not replace my door wiring.

If there is an easier way to get around the molex plugs I would consider replacing my door wiring but as I couldn't find any info regarding that scenario I did not replace my door wiring.

I'm always looking for new and better ways to do things but as it stands I did not replace my door wiring.

I guess that if it was an issue where sound quality was affected I would consider paying a professional to do it but as it's not I did not replace my door wiring.

So all things considered it really is a non-issue that I did not replace my door wiring.

edit: to clarify... I did not replace my door wiring.

bahahhahahaahhahaahaha
Old 20-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #27
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'm very interested in the spacers also... be cheaper to use the parts i already own if i can :P
Old 20-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #28
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got the speakers installed on friday sound awesome....the type r speakersa accually come with a adapter...that has like a think that screws into the 5x7 whole then the 6 inch goes into that and screws in..so yea
Old 20-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #29
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'd love to get my hands on one to copy... can anyone help? :P
Old 20-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #30
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

r u also still looking at putting the 6x9's in cos i got reccomended to not bother. best bet is the 6 inch splits in front two 6&1/2 in the parcel shelf then the subs in the boot. if u dont have subs then 6x9's would be a better idea and u can buy little plastic adapter things from most car parts places for $20 or thereabouts.

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post