Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Default Removing Dust from Paintwork

Hi ppl,

Just had my car painted, but there are some minot spots of dust settlements on the rear bumper and on the roof. I was told that a cutpolish would remove them.

How should i go about doing it and what are the best products to use?

NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

meguires have a dust brush, you could try that it is not suppose to scratch your paint,im thinking about buying one because when ever i clean my car its dusty the next day and looks dirty again.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb5speed
meguires have a dust brush, you could try that it is not suppose to scratch your paint,im thinking about buying one because when ever i clean my car its dusty the next day and looks dirty again.
i know what you mean! marine blue is really bad for getting dirty in a matter of days even when its not being driven!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Take it back to the place that painted it and make them fix it. Without seeing it I can't be certain, but 99% of the time, dust contamination on paint means a respray of the panel.

Cut & polish will just strip the clear coat away, you shouldn't use it on EA-onwards Falcons.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Take it back to the place that painted it and make them fix it. Without seeing it I can't be certain, but 99% of the time, dust contamination on paint means a respray of the panel.

Cut & polish will just strip the clear coat away, you shouldn't use it on EA-onwards Falcons.
The paint was done by a mate of mine, and he did tell me that there maybe some dust settlement before hand. It doesnt look very obvious untill you look close.

will try to get pics and attach them
Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
nomad-
Nooby Dooby Doo!

I recently had some panel work done on one of my cars and there was noticable dust particles and a bit of over spray in parts, I took it back to the shop, they treated it to a professional cut 'n' polish and now it looks fantastic even with it's high gloss black

You could try a cut 'n' polish yourself but before you do, I suggest using a clay bar, these work wonders on contaminated paint
nomad- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

dont know what i was going on about, i think i just scanned through the post and didnt actually read it.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
simok

i would just try a general hand polish first and see how it comes up after that
simok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd wait a month before touching fresh paint.... let it settle properly then go the hack
Old 03-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

im a spraypainter and if u want to remove small dust from the paint, you can rub out with p1500 grit paper, then go over with 2000.... after dirt removed just get some polish, and buff the shine back up over the area you have rubbed. This is easy and effective providin there is a decent amount of paint on it, if it is a solid colour its generally better but if its not and its clearcoat over basecoat... dont rub too far cuz if theres not a decent amount of clear on and you rub through to the basecoat, you wont be able to buff it back to a nice gloss

cheers
finnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Thanks Finnyman,

Should i leave the paint for a few weeks before i start? Also what is a good brand of polish i can use?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

got a pic of the car but the light is not right.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=500&page=1
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
cogo81

If it is 2-pak your better off cutting it as soon as possible, farecla is a good cutting compund but a bit messy and will need to go over it with something not so course after the farecla.
cogo81 is offline   Reply With Quote