Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Default Supercharger Options???

I am looking to supercharge my i6 falcon auto sedan in the coming months and have been researching into my options and wondering on what peoples views. Im aiming for the 250rwks capa told me that with a decent cam, tuning, and exhaust that both there kits are able to achieve that figure with about 9 to 10 pounds. I am quite interested in the raptor unit and would love some views.

Option 1: Buy a capa powerdyne kit
Option 2: Buy a capa vortech kit
Option 3: Get a powerdyne rebuilt from the states with all the good internal bits and piece my own kit together Link
Option 4: Buy a australian built version of the powerdyne called the raptor which looks to be off a much higher quality and price is not to bad at $2200 for the head unit Link

Whats it worth to get a custom bracket made up for my car any one know??

Whats the go with running boost through a capa flash unit??

Thanks Jake

Old 23-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey sorry to not answer any of your questions, but u wouldn't happen to have msn would u? i would like to have a chat with ya.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lueoval
hey sorry to not answer any of your questions, but u wouldn't happen to have msn would u? i would like to have a chat with ya.
I dont but my brother does ill send you the email via pm i will be on for a while just in case ya come on tonight

Thanks Jake
Old 24-05-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've nothing but praise for the CAPA kits, and good words about the powerdynes. If you are looking for a quick bang for buck it would be the powerdyne, but if you are ultimately looking to work on it further, CAPA kits are apparently what you need.

Unfortunatly I know nothing about the last 2 options
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i really wanna get mine supercharged but wont you have to end up spending up to 6 grand? :|
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Best bet would be to get a kit regardless of where it comes from, saves you having to chase down parts later on, all bolt on and away you go.

As for where from, personally I reckon CAPA are thieves with what they charge for their V8 stuff, dont know if its any different with the 6's but the advantage with them is that as I said above you get everything you need in one kit.

Remember also you need to tune it once its on, and if you want to be safe you will need to get it engineered, but check with your insurance company and rego mob to see whether that's required or not.
Old 24-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Best bet would be to get a kit regardless of where it comes from, saves you having to chase down parts later on, all bolt on and away you go.

As for where from, personally I reckon CAPA are thieves with what they charge for their V8 stuff, dont know if its any different with the 6's but the advantage with them is that as I said above you get everything you need in one kit.

Remember also you need to tune it once its on, and if you want to be safe you will need to get it engineered, but check with your insurance company and rego mob to see whether that's required or not.
No matter who you are insured with, or what state its registered in, you will need to have it engineered.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

With the topic of engineering coming up is there any one in australia who has engineered a au i6 with either a turbo or supercharger. The other thing to note is i dont understand why people bother to get there cars engineered when as soon as they pass with a baby tune and standard exhaust they turn up the boost and have a decent exhaust.

Jake
Old 24-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbz
With the topic of engineering coming up is there any one in australia who has engineered a au i6 with either a turbo or supercharger.
Jake
Search for posts from TurboTaxi. He's engineered a straight-LPG AU ex-taxi with a Snort turbo kit that he fitted himself. Some months ago he was getting 162RWKW with low boost and no tune. I see from his more recent posts that he now has a Chiptorque 7PSI tune chip, bit I dunno what KW he's getting now.

CAPA supercharger kits (according to CAPA) are emissions-certified by CAPA. If you fit one, you get an engineer to inspect it & if he's happy that it's fitted in accordance with CAPA's instructions, he gives you a certificate to that effect. You send the cert to CAPA, they send you the emissions compliance cert.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
No matter who you are insured with, or what state its registered in, you will need to have it engineered.

You're right into this engineering certificate stuff,

Every time supercharger or turbo is mentioned I see this same post, is this what is holding you back? Just curious not being an ***.
Old 24-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

its not holding me back i am just trying to dicided whats the best option to take in the way of the headunit. If anyone has supercharged a 6 i would love to here from you.

Thanks Jake
Old 24-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Don't forget they get their kits emissions certified. That costs $15k+++ each time they run a car through the ADR drive cycle, whether it passes or not, plus the development/testing time beforehand to try to makes sure it passes. The cost of all that has to be spread over the kits they sell.

I bet you'd squeal if you had to do all that yourself.
Old 24-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

When i said who has i was meant to say using petrol not gas. My other point was that those kits from capa are enginnered without an exhaust or any other mods so as soon as you do anything like that its illeagal anyway so thats my problem with it.

I like the look of the raptor kit and hope to here from someone who has used one.

Thanks Jake
Old 31-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbz
When i said who has i was meant to say using petrol not gas. My other point was that those kits from capa are enginnered without an exhaust or any other mods so as soon as you do anything like that its illeagal anyway so thats my problem with it.Thanks Jake
Spoke to my friendly local engineer (NSW) today. He said having a zorst is no prob when engineering a s/c as long as the cat and oxy sensor are in place. If the s/c kit comes with emission compliance paperwork, no sweat, otherwise the car needs to have an emissions test, I think these are expensive in Vic. The CAPA kit is emissions certified, I haven't seen any others for the Falc that are.

Only issue with the zorst is noise. S/c's make the exhaust louder, I'd have to have a static noise test & put a quieter rear muffler on if my setup failed.

Got some detailed info from CAPA today, their AU kit includes a T-Rex fuel pump, 24lb injectors and either a chip with generic tune or a blank flash tuner box.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 24-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Raptor do a BA-BF 4.0l kit, maybe if enough AU owners enquire they'll do one for our cars. The BA-BF kit is $4400, cheaper than CAPAs.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Sledgehammer
Banned

Good to see another kit on the market. I would also say buy a kit. The Raptor kits certainely look interesting.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought a Paxton Novi 2000 from the states brand new, not a kit just the head unit. Its for my v8 AU Ghia. My plan is to upgrade fuel injectors, pump, get aftermarket ecu or Flash Tuner and fabricate and source the rest my self, CAPA charge $895 for the S/C bracket, I think you could make one just a little cheaper than that.

If you plan on doing more mods in the future and going to the strip I would go Vortech or Paxton Novi 1000, if you want a bit more power for the street maybe then go for the Powerdyne/Rator, do your research and you'll make the right decision, good luck with it all. _2:
Old 24-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont
I just bought a Paxton Novi 2000 from the states brand new, not a kit just the head unit. Its for my v8 AU Ghia. My plan is to upgrade fuel injectors, pump, get aftermarket ecu or Flash Tuner and fabricate and source the rest my self, CAPA charge $895 for the S/C bracket, I think you could make one just a little cheaper than that.

If you plan on doing more mods in the future and going to the strip I would go Vortech or Paxton Novi 1000, if you want a bit more power for the street maybe then go for the Powerdyne/Rator, do your research and you'll make the right decision, good luck with it all. _2:
Thanks for the info

Just a few questions about how you went about getting your paxton like where you got it and how much you are lookimg to pay with all shipping and taxes if ya dont mind you can pm if you like.

Also whats the best way to work out fuel requirements im aiming for around 250rwks but dont want either my supercharger or my fuel system to be busting its guts to acheve that figure. What are you doing about cooling are you going with nothing, using water injection, intercooler??

Thanks Jake
Old 31-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #19
justa6
justa6

brendan mocks white ef was supercharged to start with (powerdyne) and it easily made the numbers, but that was with a full engine build. one of my mates had one on his au and it had around 220rwkw.
the thing is they are a great bolt on kit that will not break trans, diff and just generally keep on costing the earth.

marty
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #20
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would be nice to find places that were alot cheaper than capa
as well they arnt exactly a cheap place!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
DavesXr8

For the AU V8 Kits what do they actually come with ???

The site seems very vague on whats in the kits or i cant find the right page.

And the power fiqures they quote is that rwkw or fwkw?

Thanks Dave
DavesXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesXr8
For the AU V8 Kits what do they actually come with ???

The site seems very vague on whats in the kits or i cant find the right page.

And the power fiqures they quote is that rwkw or fwkw?

Thanks Dave
Hey dave,

you get the charger, belts, pulleys, bracketry, an off the shelf chip/tune, fuel pump and rising rate reg, and I think injectors.
and the power they are quoting is FWKW..

but out of all that, the tune/chip is rubbish, the injectors if i remember were not much bigger than stock, fuel pump doesnt last long, and the rising rate reg from memory was ok, but its better to get a reputable brand one.
Thats why in my previous post I said get the charger/pulleys and source everything else. cheaper and better.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Snort Performance also do kits for Falcons now ... so not just turbos ... best to call them for details.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
stiddy
Banned

Vortech S-Trim for the win!

Buy the actual charger and pulleys from CAPA, but dont get anything else, its cheap rubbish and it will cost you an arm and 2 legs.
Source the rest of the stuff else were will work out 50% cheaper than going through CAPA. Like Mechan1k said, try Geoff from Snort Performance, ive bought stuff from him before, top bloke and awesome products.
Intercooler, walbro fuel pump, 440cc(42lb greentop) injectors, bov can all be found on ebay very cheaply.
Have to get cooler piping made and brackets made..
Go to a good tuner and get the Edit, and woo hoo you'll be screaming down the road.. literally.

As for the engineers certificate.. hmmm im fairly open minded when it comes to that.. Me personally wouldnt bother with it. And if I had to a mate of mine is an Engineerer so that covers that.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My mechanic keeps saying to me "are you sure you don't want a pump off the front of the motor?" .... hee hee ... He'd love to install a kit on my ute and tune it (he's now a CAPA EDIT approved installer/tuner).

Though just a low boost setup without cooler ... and being on LPG ... no pinging issues either ... it'd be a simple setup and cheaper than a petrol setup.

I still don't have the cash to do it ... NO FAIR.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #26
stiddy
Banned

Im guessing thats Joe from Cresent lol.
He's the one that helped me get my turbo kit together, I got my EMS 4424, Injectors, Fuel pump, wastegate, and other odds and ends through him, and was gonna get him to do the install.. but I ended up selling the kit.
But yes Joe does love his Super T70 turbos lol, that red turbo AU that he's done, is an absolute weapon, and floating around in the 12's from what I hear.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah it's Joe .... pretty much my 2nd home when the courier work is dead ... I end up doing bits and pieces there and helping out.

The owner got that red AU back the other week after the new manifold and a bit more tuning ... mid-range torque increased significantly ... he's scared to drive it on the street now.

It'd be quicker than 12 seconds for the 1/4 if he could get some traction at least.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hibbsy i am buying a Raptor supercharger for my BA as soon as possible,will be able to give some thoughts when i 'ave 'er onboard.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #29
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the raptor ones look good it says a kit for the au will be out in sept a few weeks away http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=36 no price but..there $5500 for commodore so i reakon a falcon set up will be around there some were http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=29
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #30
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wagga i drive a BA ute but i've got a soft spot for the AU's as i had a cool AU XR8 with some mods,so i troll the AU site sometimes.
Yeah the Raptor sounds good to me.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post