Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Toyota Kluger - Rolls during Wheels COTY

"Oh what a Rollover! Toyota"

Well, the biggest news shouldn't be who won, but the fact that a car portrayed/advertised to death (pardoning the potential pun) as a 7 seat family vehicle has disasterous handling and rolled.

Considering the exceptional handling of the Territory it's time Ford fought back.

I sent Ford the following email and suggest you forward them something too.

"Oh what a rollover!"

Here is your chance Ford to "Get some nuts!" as Mr T would say.

Kluger became the first vehicle to roll during Wheels COTY in 45yrs.

It's already 2nd in the sales race to the Territory, a market Terri created. Don't let them encroach further. Use a Toyota Rollover fear, Territory glowing praise campaign. Use Wheels quotes 4 both arguments.

Wheels suggested Toyota urgently update their stability control on not just this model, but all Toyotas as the "cars ESP performance was substandard."

Toyota impressively outsold you and Holden combined last year.

I say, kick them in the pants. Return fire and have a proper war instead of the one sided onslaught.

I also sent Today Tonight and A Current Affair a similar email, but focused on the safety repercussions of the markets dominant player having such handling deficient vehicles (as they have for years).

I mean, if you are going to start something why not go to commercial sensationalists?!

I would also encourage you to do the same.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

I love it when objective testing proves me right. Toyota - an unsafe car manufacturer.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I love it when objective testing proves me right. Toyota - an unsafe car manufacturer.
I'm sorry, but you're completely off your rocker if you think Wheels testing is objective in any way. Nor is it scientific, or performed under repeatable circumstances, or done using drivers with any special qualifications beyond what the public could get if they too drove a car for a living or did the occasion advanced driver course.

And I wouldn't be too hard to Toyota either -yet. ACP mags have demonstrated in the past that they're not any further beyond playing fast and loose with the facts than the car companies, and spin works both ways when it comes to issues that touch on OHS liabilities and corporate insurance coverage.

Until Toyota refuse to release the telemetry of the accident for independent review (something I'm sure they're threatening in private should any ACP arm try to make hay out of this incident), their claim that the computer shows a far different story to what Wheels states happened shouldn't be blithely chalked up to spin-doctoring.

Also, no rival car company could put out an ad saying the Kluger is unsafe based on this incident because Toyota would immediately sue and if they have telemetry that backs their version would win hands down.
Old 24-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
I'm sorry, but you're completely off your rocker if you think Wheels testing is objective in any way. Nor is it scientific, or performed under repeatable circumstances, or done using drivers with any special qualifications beyond what the public could get if they too drove a car for a living or did the occasion advanced driver course.
They've put the Toyota Hiace 6.0 LWB work van around a skid pad, slalom and race-track and it didn't roll-over. Hrm?

:
Old 25-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
They've put the Toyota Hiace 6.0 LWB work van around a skid pad, slalom and race-track and it didn't roll-over. Hrm?

The only thing that proves is they're idiots with a death wish to start with. A Hiace is not designed to do ANY of those things, and it STILL isn't objective, scientific or repeatable...
Old 25-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
The only thing that proves is they're idiots with a death wish to start with. A Hiace is not designed to do ANY of those things, and it STILL isn't objective, scientific or repeatable...
And the work van pulled it off. Your point?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
BJ
Banned

Quote:
And one thing they failed to ad to the article was that the knob was going 180kph yes that's right 180kph on a dirt road and then decided to do a right hand turn on the dirt and the end result was his spectacular roll over. What would the Territory have done in the same situation???

Now that to me tells me this bloke is a bloody fool.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
And one thing they failed to ad to the article was that the knob was going 180kph yes that's right 180kph on a dirt road and then decided to do a right hand turn on the dirt and the end result was his spectacular roll over. What would the Territory have done in the same situation???

got any sources for this? any proof?

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Yes i have. PM me.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Yes i have. PM me.
Why can't you post it for everyone to see???
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5

how did we go we are all waiting

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

180kph seems excessive. Was this the speed the test was done at, or did the Kluger get special treatment?
Old 25-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

Sorry mate, that aint a 180kmh crash

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Sorry mate, that aint a 180kmh crash

Exactly, whoever reckons that was at 180kph is delusional, or works for Toyota. A 180 kph crash would have had that Kluger barrel rolling 10 times, not just tipping onto its side and sliding for 50 metres.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The pro toyota camp has gone quiet :
Old 27-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Exactly, whoever reckons that was at 180kph is delusional, or works for Toyota. A 180 kph crash would have had that Kluger barrel rolling 10 times, not just tipping onto its side and sliding for 50 metres.
This is where the ESP comes in. It keeps the vehicle on it's side, the side mirrors dig in thereby slowing it down and preventing mutiple rollovers.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

From the pic in the magazine it looks as though he was driving on tarmac, then grass, then turned left to roll, at a lot less than 180km/hr

Maybe they either did some very good photoshopping or they set the car up for the photo
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #18
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
From the pic in the magazine it looks as though he was driving on tarmac, then grass, then turned left to roll, at a lot less than 180km/hr

Maybe they either did some very good photoshopping or they set the car up for the photo
100kph. Read my post #97.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Well thats just silly speak...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Well thats just silly speak...
What, calling a company who makes a fleet of microwave's on wheels with the structural integrity of a paper cup is 'silly speak?'

I wonder what 'smart speak,' is then....

:
Old 27-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
What, calling a company who makes a fleet of microwave's on wheels with the structural integrity of a paper cup is 'silly speak?'

I wonder what 'smart speak,' is then....

Well if toyota are getting around 4 stars (from what ive researched) then they arnt really paper cup cars are they...

...the way you assume things means that because the Ford Explorer rolled over, that the falcon is all of a sudden a unsafe car. :

If toyotas car's were unsafe you'ld hear allabout in the papers. Oh and a magazine scribe has manged to roll a X5, are all BMW's unsafe?

As JR said

"No, the pro common sense camp has gone quiet. We get tired of trying to talk reason to idiots after a while..."

Oh, and when you look at the photos it seems like the cars as came off the grass and clipped the ashpalt, enough to roll any car...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Well if toyota are getting around 4 stars (from what ive researched) then they arnt really paper cup cars are they...

...the way you assume things means that because the Ford Explorer rolled over, that the falcon is all of a sudden a unsafe car. :

If toyotas car's were unsafe you'ld hear allabout in the papers. Oh and a magazine scribe has manged to roll a X5, are all BMW's unsafe?

As JR said

"No, the pro common sense camp has gone quiet. We get tired of trying to talk reason to idiots after a while..."

Oh, and when you look at the photos it seems like the cars as came off the grass and clipped the ashpalt, enough to roll any car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaGWcw8Xg0

Call me crazy, but it looks quite a bit like the driver's head there went out the window and made contact with the pillar on its return backward. Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwESb...eature=related

Seems to happen with this one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCn8...eature=related

Blantant head-out-the-window-pillar-smack here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JIFm...eature=related

Very nice and safe looking (/sarcasm) - and there are alot of these things on the roads too!

And now for cars where the driver's head doesn't seem to exit the window of the vehicle and bounce of the pillar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgCuccFink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievR2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcussHKSpaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPO-K...eature=related

I really like the ability of some of these cars to keep passenger's heads inside the open window in a frontal impact. Its kind've important...

After watching quite a few vids on there, it seems that modern day, 2007/08 Toyotas perform in these tests like European cars from 1997/98. 10 years behind? Seems to be the norm.

:
Old 23-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Already in the Territory forums. Feel free to join us down there.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=1948604
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #24
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The amazing thing is not Toyota's rollover it is it's Toyota's spin capabilty. By this I mean spin a yarn.

They already portray themselves as the eco friendly lot whist pumping out many time more Klugers, Prado's and Land Cruisers etc. all which suck fuel like jumbo jets.

Be sure the spin doctors will have traced this to a fault in a sensor by next issue.
Old 23-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Klugers, Prado's and Land Cruisers etc. all which suck fuel like jumbo jets.
bothered to even research what the Landcruiser has in the way of an engine and fuel consumption lately........didnt think so.

any dweeb can roll any car.
it doesnt prove anything.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
bothered to even research what the Landcruiser has in the way of an engine and fuel consumption lately........didnt think so.

any dweeb can roll any car.
it doesnt prove anything.
I know the old 100-Series likes a drink! A very big drink at that! Even in Diesel form.

:
Old 23-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #27
andrewts
White Car Driver

Whilst it's great to know the Terror-torry can handle like a car, you can bet Wheels through the Kluger around on a racetrack. Who bails the family up into the car for a race? Clearly that's not what the Kluger is meant to do. You could roll anything, and it is wrong to rely on a computer to prevent it.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
Whilst it's great to know the Terror-torry can handle like a car, you can bet Wheels through the Kluger around on a racetrack. Who bails the family up into the car for a race? Clearly that's not what the Kluger is meant to do. You could roll anything, and it is wrong to rely on a computer to prevent it.
They didn't roll the Landcruiser 85 or 100-Series, didn't roll the Prado, they even took a Hiace van around a slalom, skidpan and racetrack and didn't roll it... but they roll the Kluger?

Epic fail by Toyota.

:
Old 24-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They didn't roll the Landcruiser 85 or 100-Series, didn't roll the Prado, they even took a Hiace van around a slalom, skidpan and racetrack and didn't roll it... but they roll the Kluger?

Epic fail by Toyota.
You talk as if they are the only company to have a faulty design in one of thier cars (Ford Explorer anyone??). With the size of thier range, there is bound to be one model with a failure or two. I doubt many Kluger buyer would drive like the Wheels test team did anyways, but the problem should still be addressed.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
You talk as if they are the only company to have a faulty design in one of thier cars (Ford Explorer anyone??). With the size of thier range, there is bound to be one model with a failure or two. I doubt many Kluger buyer would drive like the Wheels test team did anyways, but the problem should still be addressed.
No, they're not the only company. However they're one of the only ones where people overlook faulty designs or won't admit that they have one in the first place.

: