Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Default EL Ghia Blend door

Evening all

The Blend door or motor has gone on the EL Ghia and after removing about 6 million screws (ok ok - that's an exageration - it's three million) i am at the stage of having the crash pad, lower dash and airbag left. The guide i am using (a "how to instal climate contrtol into your e series") tell me to remove the dash retaining bols and screws and remove the dash.......well every screw i can see is out but that dash won't budge (it will wobble but not come out)

I've got some pics of where i'm at - if only i could work out how to post them.

Anyone done this job that can offer urgent advice??

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Ta

Last edited by sarrge2001; 22-02-2006 at 08:31 PM.
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Default Progress

Ok - got the dash mostly out of the way - looks like i took off WAAAAY more than i needed to.

I say mostly out of the way.....just like to thank the bloke that fitted the wiring for the gas system that goes from the dash to the computer and out to under the bonnet for looping those wires through all my dash cabling to make it impossible to get out without cutting the gas system wiring,......

And i have even managed to get three of the four screws for the motor out.........

But that last one..........aaaarrggghhh
Old 23-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do need to pull the heater box out of the car, you wont be able to remove the blend door without doing this, there just isnt enough room between the cowling and heaterbox.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Unfortunately thats right. I did the blend door myself about 2 years ago, pulling the heater box out is a pain in the ИИИИ. You need to make sure you get everything back on properly, some of the arms snap very easily, and vacuum hoses can come off.

To get the heater box out, theres about 6 bolts in the engine bay, on the firewall, you undo the nuts on them. You'll need the A/C gas recovered, and re-gassed later on (about $100). The 2 heater hoses will probably break when you try to get them off the heater core, and the heater tap will probably break too. Also, while the heater box out, it's not a bad time to replace the heater core, so you don't have to pull the dash again.

I have heard rumours of Ford tech's loosening the heaterbox and getting the blend door on like that, without having to re-gas the AC. If it were possible it would save a lot of time and money.

The crashpad hooks into 2 slots, on the far sides of the cabin, you need to lift it up before you pull the dash out.

Good luck with it.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Success at last

To all you triers out there - you CAN do it without removing or lossening the heater core - long noe plies will remove 3 screws, the last one, if you wiggle the motor carefully, the housing on the motor will break away from the screw and it can be removed by had - of course you can only put the new motor in with three screws!! but it works and holds tight.

Thanks for the advice though guys