Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

Default BA Shifter

Hey all,

Firstly i would like to thank the people who produced the BA shifter electronics and install guide (the main 2 guys know who they are )

I have sucessfully installed my ba shifter and are just awaiting the electronics to finish it off. PRND work at moment

I chose a different method of running the cable than the guide....

i drilled a hole in the top left of the trans tunnel.
ran the cable around the rear of the box
reversed the shifter lever (from top swing to bottom swing)
modified the stock ea lever plate (welded a bolt to bracket instead of washer and bolt as normal)
then welded a bracket to the exhaust bracket that im not currently using to hold the rear of the cable still when throwing into park (heaviest gear of all)

it clears the cat by a bees dick but enough that it will never hurt the bracket when engine is a rockin

Thanks again
Brad

now time for the bigger mod.....au3 engine and el ecu

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
BRADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Top swing to bottom swing... you mean the little arm on the side of the gearbox itself? Interesting! Having it close to the cat sounds a bit dangerous though, if you melt the plastic eyelet on the end of the cable which you've attached to the arm, you're stuck in whatever gear you were in until you can get under the car and move the arm yourself, and you're up for a whole new cable. Or if you mean the bracket with that fat part of the cable being close to the cat, ditto, melt that and it'll be bad for PRND shifts.

Try to make a heat shield for your cable/arm/bracket if you can. Got any pics of it in relation to the cat?

If I knew what you were doing I would've shown you my BA setup in person when Pilch & I were at your place!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSPENCER85
PRND work at moment
So Park works? You've almost gotten it better than Dave's already! lol

Na, only joking D4V3!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

:
Old 14-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

its the same height as the joiner in the cat so the heat isnt so bad.
however i will be putting some heat shelding around the plastic tip and the back end of the cable to give 100% protection.

i figured it was less heat than running it beside the extractors.

brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
Old 14-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

yes all gears work as they should. except tip tronic as i dont have electronics yet.
the key to getting park is the bracket....you dont use the factory hole...u make ur own about 5mm i think it was closer to box....or do what i did which was weld a bolt to bracket.
i will endevor to take some photos for you all.

brad

Old 14-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You'd be surprised regarding the heat that cats put out, but I spose you're damned either way (cats/extractors)

Feel free to add me to MSN if you'd like to chat about your/my setups! xe200@hotmail.com

I'm online on most weeknights. Cheers mate

-Dave-

*EDIT* (regarding your followup post) I need to redo my bracket so it's ~1 inch closer to the engine (keep in mind that mine's mounted to a V8 bellhousing) and I'll be reattaching my cable a bit further (1 to 1.5cm) down the arm rather than the end of it, so it throws further for each gear.
Old 14-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

no worries...sounds good...when i get home ill add ya.
thank christ this shifter was easier to install.
last time i tried to install a B&M shifter with no luck on 2nd and 3rd gear.
one thing ive learnt from this ordeal is...

AMERICAN TO AUS = DIFFICULT and not worth it damn shift patterns
AUS TO AUS = easy just requires new brackets

so how far did u get with ur BA shifter?

Old 14-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

lol

Mine's fully working with a mild shift kit as well (BA electronics and shift kit electronics are independent of each other with regard to wiring). Shift kit works a treat as it livens up the SSS shifting (almost eliminates the lag).

Well, when I say "fully working" I mean the electronic side is 100%. I need to fix my bracket & cable attachment setup as mentioned so that RND becomes PRND, but I've been harping on about fixing that for about two years now :P

1st 2nd & 3rd work in SSS mode, and because my replacement box is a low km unit the sprag clutch still works if shifting back to 3rd, 2nd, 1st, but I tend to avoid doing this as it's no good for the clutch (I do do these shifts though when driving along a twisty road, accelerating out of a tight corner).

I'll send you pics over MSN if you like, but if you've read my conversion file (judging by your 1st post you have) then you've seen most of them already. There's also shots in my build thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=74579

-Dave-
Old 14-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Well done on the install, hope the electronics turn up soon so you can finish it all off and start to enjoy it.

I drove around for a few months with no SSS working.

What did you make the cable bracket out of, I have used old thick computer case for mine, in both the first prototype and for the final installed version, I should get around to making a better one.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

i recieved my BA shifter electronics today.
it was professionally built & packed which i was very impressed by.
cant wait to strap this baby onto the car and give her a go.
ive still gotta build a shift kit for her....well not build as such....just get the right resistor values.
not sure if he wants his name used so ill just thank muzza tech

brad

Old 16-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You'll only need a mild shift kit, just enough to firm up & quicken the shifts. I went the 22ohm/1ohm kit. (I think from memory the EA TCU & E-Series V8 TCUs have the same resistor values/circuit?)

I'll have a look tonight if I remember.

Normal shift kit values for my car were 20ohm/1ohm. 18ohm/1ohm were for the harsh shift kit. Mine's a basic one stage non-switchable setup.
Old 16-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

making it switchable isnt an issue. i may even doing a pot so i can vary the amount of bang it has.

so its prob gonna be 18-24ohms / 1ohm between hard nice and soft in 2ohm stages?

i think ive got EA ecu pins....but couldnt hurt to double check.
soz i didnt add u last night....didnt end up making it home at a normal hour. hehe

cos of the soon change to EL im gonna need both values and pin layouts...which im pretty sure ive got the el layout in my email some where.

brad

Old 16-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

It's all good mate ;) Well yes it would be best to double check. I know I have the TCU details off www.mechanicalforums.com for my V8 unit but I didn't download the others, and I don't know if that site is still up & running anymore... I'll confirm the pinouts, circuit & resistor values tonight (if I remember)

Changing to EL sounds very challenging! But I suppose you're talking flat out with Jason about all that stuff :P
Old 16-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

ive asked a couple of questions of jason. but trying not to bother him much as he has enough on his own plate as it is
once my mate gets the ecu pins for me (if he remembers) ill be able to start making new looms outside the car and then once as compltete as can be will do the swap over with minimal to no other mods required...basicly i dont wanna loose my car for too much time.
brad

Old 16-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

one day ill get of my *** and get mine done in the EB

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I can send you the EA pin outs, the TCU pin outs, and alos the EL AUTO ECU pin outs if you want them, drop me a PM with an email address.

I just finished the EA ECU to EA TCU to EL AUTO ECU conversion recently.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #18
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

BA Shifter Electronics in and tested.
It works great.
ive read heaps on peps ba shifters and they said its fun to have one.......well.....after some good testing of mine i have come to the conclusion that they are .......******* sweet as! man it brings a whole new meaning to driving and draging. no longer will the car slip into 3rd when aiming for 2nd cos with the ba shifter its impossible to make a mistake.
best upgrade so far i think. well worth the $$$

total upgrade cost $390 and that included brand new shifter handle and all electronics

thanks again to the boys who created the guide and electronics...keep up the good work

brad

Old 19-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well done! Sorry I forgot to send you the info but I guess you don't need it now :P

Pics Pics Pics