Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default rattling door

My drives side door rattles on the "hook" on bumpy roads...you can rock it in and out...what adjustment is there in the locking mechanism etc?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
jones_aus

my drivers side door also rattle on bumby roads, not sure whats causing it though, havnt really had a look.
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Might be your striker is loose on the door frame ... I think it uses a Torx bit to adjust it. Unless there is a problem internally in the door actuator/lock inside the door ... check to make sure the Torx bits are tight in the door itself ... I think there are 3 from memory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
apoc
AUII I6

You should be able to move the clippy bit on the door frame in/out, up/down within reason, sometimes i pays to move the clip in, towards the center of the car so the door is pressed more firmly against the rubber seals. keeping the door more rigid.

Another thing to do is wrap a few (say like 5-6) loops of electrical tape, around the latch on door frame, taping the whole "U" section .

This makes for stealth door latch no clicking on bumpy roads . I used to do this on my old VN, the tape only lasts like a month before it needs doing again, but it definately worked..., lowered car, rural drivin...

If only you could get some rubber on that thing....

Hope this helps,

Simon.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hijack the thread but how can you take the door trims off as i have the same rattling problem and i need to take the trim off to see whats rattling etc.
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

4 screws and pull.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
patrat
Starter Motor

A mate of mine was a mechanic at a ford dealership when the AU's first came out & he told me about the doors not sealing properly (sitting too high). He said that all they did was open the doors up & pull down on them (with windows down). I did this with my AU Fairmont I used to own. It worked.
patrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, so its easy as 1,2,3 then??
Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

yep there is a write up on AUfalcon.com

my door rattle was solved...on of the lil torx screws wiggled it's way loose...lil bugger!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
yep there is a write up on AUfalcon.com

my door rattle was solved...on of the lil torx screws wiggled it's way loose...lil bugger!

I might check the driver's door on my ute as it has started making rattling noises ... damn rough roads.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

There's screws ... and there are 2 hidden 10mm bolts ... one behind the interior door handle surround ... unclips and pops out from behind the handle ... and there's one behind the round cover near the speaker grille as well.

There is also a hidden screw under the power window controls on the door as well.

The rest is pretty easy. A flat blade screw driver and a thin piece of rag help in levering the door handle curround and power window switches ... the clips can be a tad tight .... but perserverence is needed.
Old 15-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool thanks guys!!