Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dealer to slack to do a deal.

Hi,

I went with mum to look at a new focus. Mum wanted to trade her car in.

So the bloke comes out and talks to us about the car ect. Then he valued mum car.

He started waffling on about are you gonna buy today ect. The usual speel.

I said to the guy look we dont wanna be stuffed around just give us your best price and we will take it from there. He said its not what i can do for you its what you want or something like that. To the effect of make an offer and ill consider. So i said well ok we will do a straight swap if thats the way you wanna play it.

So anyway i said common do you best price up and we will think about it.
He then said well will you buy today? Mum said not today but certainly tomorrow if the price is right. (It was late in the day not enough time to get all organised).

He then said well if you wont buy today i'm not going to waste my time because you may not buy it. I said thats business mate. If the price is right we will get it. He said no unless your buying today im not gonna bother.

We just left and said we will go to the other ford to buy.

I was shocked at how this man dosent want his commision. We were the only ones there in the yard but he dosent have time?

Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I hate car dealers and their "are you gonna buy it today?". I'm buying a car not a bloody kitchen appliance. Its not a decision you make in a day.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True and if he offered a price mum liked she would have got it the next day.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
I hate car dealers and their "are you gonna buy it today?". I'm buying a car not a bloody kitchen appliance. Its not a decision you make in a day.
Same here, as soon as I hear that line I leave.

Well done for leaving after that OP, doesn't sound like a dealer that is worth wasting your time on.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
I walk away as soon as I hear that question. This should be the 1st lesson of carsalesman 101....DO NOT ASK THAT QUESTION!!
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
XRNIL8

Best way to deal with moron salesmen is to walk away, then come back a week later in your new car .... just to say thanks for allowing you to find a better deal ;)

I went one better, considered buying a Merc for the wife for around 30 to 35k ...... we were ignored .... so went next door and did business with FORD! My wife now really enjoys driving the XR6t ........ suckers ;)

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRNIL8
Best way to deal with moron salesmen is to walk away, then come back a week later in your new car .... just to say thanks for allowing you to find a better deal ;)
Thats what my brother did when he bought his first car. Salesman wanted to pressure him into buying that day. My brother said he needed to talk to his Missus. Salesman said no worries, price will stand until Monday (it was Friday). My brother came back Monday and the salesman said he could do it for that price ONLY IF HE WAS COMPENSATED FOUR SLABS OF VB!!!

We told him to get stuffed, went to another dealer 10 minutes away and got another 1000 off the price with no stuffing around.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
My brother came back Monday and the salesman said he could do it for that price ONLY IF HE WAS COMPENSATED FOUR SLABS OF VB!!!
My answer to that would have been, OK we'll take the car if you throw in SIX slabs
Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Can you even buy any merc for 30 to 35k?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
XRNIL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Can you even buy any merc for 30 to 35k?
Absolutely you can .... just a second hand one though .......

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
T3-STROKER
AU.OUTLAW

best way i think is if it was a ford dealer.i would have got strait on the blaper to ford australia & got that d.ck head the sack thay don't think that thats the way to sell a ford. & maybe that guy would think about it & the way he aproched you & your mum & maybe get a real good deal from ford??after all that.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #12
woteva

Wasn't Coffey Ford by any chance? :

I had a similar experience when looking at a Focus late last year. Sales guy didn't want to know me. Ended up getting a Mazda 3 instead.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #13
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah Champion Ford at Miami. We went to Sunshine at Ashmore alot better. THe guy was very nice no presure but was around if you needed a hand. Thats how you sell a car.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

You're a lot more patient than I am. If a salesman gives me the, are you going to buy today line I'll reply 'not from you... any other salesman I can deal with?' and if not, out the door I go.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

The whole idea of that line is that if he gives you a price u'll just walk into the next yard and say this is what blah blah up the road gave me can you beat it.

The world would be a better place if everything was fixed price.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
You are not serious are you?

If that were the case they could set the price for all cars $25,000 dearer and it wouldn't matter as no-one is going to undercut the price.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
The whole idea of that line is that if he gives you a price u'll just walk into the next yard and say this is what blah blah up the road gave me can you beat it.

thats exactley why, there are more delicate ways then just plain out asking, but if someone asks me for my best price we tend to wait until they are in the position to do a deal. That salesman may have gone about it the wrong way but in a way he is just trying to protect himself from being shopped.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
XR6Dan
Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
thats exactley why, there are more delicate ways then just plain out asking, but if someone asks me for my best price we tend to wait until they are in the position to do a deal. That salesman may have gone about it the wrong way but in a way he is just trying to protect himself from being shopped.
How are you supposed to do a deal without knowing the price? It's all about competition. When I bought my car I went to several dealers and got prices, and got the car I wanted at the price I wanted. If the dealer didn't give me a good price at the beginning, he wasn't there at the end.
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #19
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would hate to be in business if my profit was fixed, the same as my competitor down the road.
Plus, all businessess would put the prices up sky high and the consumer would lose out big time. I think that's called Price Fixing isnt it? (illegal)
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
I would hate to be in business if my profit was fixed, the same as my competitor down the road.
Plus, all businessess would put the prices up sky high and the consumer would lose out big time. I think that's called Price Fixing isnt it? (illegal)
Price fixing is when you collude with a competitor to set the same price, thus eliminating competition.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that right!
Ask Richard Pratt, i'm sure he would disagree.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Same old deal of salesman treating a sales purchase like your ordering takeway.

I have had a better experience buying a bbq than buying a car.

Same for a computer they were straightforward, offered good warranty and ven came round to my house to help set it up.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #23
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

And ringing their boss prob wouldn't help. He would've bin the one telling him to say that.

Though I'm suprised he didn't even leave you on retail figures.

Btw when was the last time u talked down the chick at woolies for cheaper cornflakes
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Btw when was the last time u talked down the chick at woolies for cheaper cornflakes
No comparison. At Woolies you've already made the purchase, she's just there to take your money.

However I have talked down prices to salesmen at places like Harvey Norman etc.

A car salesman's job is to SELL you the car via negotation. Not say "D'ya wanna it or not, my coffee's getting cold"
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
No comparison. At Woolies you've already made the purchase, she's just there to take your money.
Thats right. You already seen the price, thought about it and accepted it. Otherwise you could just walk off and go somewhere else.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work in sales selling ag machinery ranging in price for $3,000 to $500,000 so obviously my apraoch is a little bit differnt to selling a $30,000 car but genreally i roll out with my best price straight of and don't move from there. I find 90% of people appreciate this aproach and not going through the usual song and dance which gets you to the same point in the end anyway.

There are some customers who think they have such good negotiating skills that they could not possibly take the first price regardless of how good it was and beat you down for more. So you need to identify these guys, load up ther first quote and then let them beat you down with there superior skills to the price you would have bought it for any way.

At the end of the day whichever approach people take with me there is a bottom line that i won't go below and while at the time it's hard to walk away from a $500,000 deal sometimes you have to.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #27
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
i roll out with my best price straight of and don't move from there. I find 90% of people appreciate this aproach and not going through the usual song and dance which gets you to the same point in the end anyway.
That's a good approach. No good making only a tiny profit just to get the deal when the they could end up being the customer from hell.
When we bought a heating / air cond package we didnt go with the cheapest. The middle of the range quote was best BECAUSE he was more professional and knew his product better than the others. We may have paid a bit more but we were more confident the product was good quality and after sales was going to be good.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
And ringing their boss prob wouldn't help. He would've bin the one telling him to say that.

Though I'm suprised he didn't even leave you on retail figures.

That's fine then. The dealer is promoting a sales model that guarantees I'll never buy a car from them.

If cornflakes were $50,000 a box, I'd certainly take a crack at negotiating a price if I really really really needed a box. Ridiculous example.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Big difference between a 20k+ car and a $4 pack of cereal. :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #30
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

He wanted you to buy today because he about to go on holidays and needed some extra pay(commission) before he went on leave.