Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Default Got a cam lastnight

i got the 2222519 and valve springs lastnight

need to know how to put them in and what i need to do it

125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=59

Last edited by FordFan86; 09-03-2006 at 07:49 PM.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

that's a ИИИИing stupid thing to say FF86. I didn't know how to do a 5 speed conversion, i asked questions and got it done. I didn't know how to do a diff swap and i got stuck in and just did it. I didn't know how to swap motors out i've done like 3 now, i'm sure you get my drift. Otherwise what the hell would be the point of the forums and all the tech sections. ИИИИ poor attitude mate.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
that's a ИИИИing stupid thing to say FF86. I didn't know how to do a 5 speed conversion, i asked questions and got it done. I didn't know how to do a diff swap and i got stuck in and just did it. I didn't know how to swap motors out i've done like 3 now, i'm sure you get my drift. Otherwise what the hell would be the point of the forums and all the tech sections. ИИИИ poor attitude mate.
Point taken.
I've asked quite a few questions on things I was unsure how to do, got stuck in and worked a few things out, it was fine.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Walkinshaw
Two > One

told!!

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

don't forget james, some of us are new to working on cars....

that, and not everyone has someone on their msn list to harrass with questions about their mums EA ;)
Old 09-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
FordFan86
meow

Told x 2 hahaha
Old 09-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Jet-Star

"2222519" Off memory thats a Crow number right?
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

yer its a crow cam and crow valve springs
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 09-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Jet-Star

Nice, A Crow cam is next on my list for my EF now that I've got my extractors HPC coated...Let me know how much of a power inscrease you notice. Also When I spoke to the people at crow (researching it first) they said that a larger exhaust is recommended, is yours standard or 2.5" ?
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
slamd ef wagon

this is my opionion i just got that cam with vernier gear(u really sld get one) as with out this cam dialed in i did not notice a thing in differance then i got it dialled in but there was not much power gain i was very disapointed in this cam so im sending it back and getting stage 3 crow
i felt my k and n filter gave about the same increse as the 519
Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

get a crow cam part number 2222543 + xr6 valvesprings and verier gear. and to fit the cam they send the instructions with the cam i thought. any way it shouldn't be as hard as mine. i have no piont to start from (the bolt snapped that bolts the top sproket to the cam). any way back to the cam, did you get a vernier cam gear? if not it should be just a bolt in.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've written instructions to replace the cam below. I hope they make sense. The problem you'll have is springs. Without the right tools and an air compressor you won't do them yourself. Meaning you won't do the cam either.

The cam should be reasonably easy. Unless you have an incredibly good reason not to disconnect the battery, then start by doing so. It may sound stupid, but it's easy insurance, and you'll have things like throttle cable loose later that could potentially short.

After you've done the battery, you need to disconnect the throttle cable and anything else going over or connected to the rocker cover. Undo the 4 nuts that hold the rocker cover on, hold your tongue to the left, lift your right foor an inch and wiggle out the rocker cover.

Turn the engine over by hand until you have it at top dead centre on the No.1 compression stroke. From memory you'll know if you're on No.1 comp if the dowel on the cam is sitting about 3mm above the rocker cover mating surface on the head to the passenger side of the car (it's been a long time). Strictly speaking, you don't need to find top dead centre, but if anything goes wrong, you'll know where to start from.

Mark a tooth on the gear and the corresponding chain link with some white out. You now have two choices. You can remove the power steering pump and brackets, undo the chain tensioner plug and remove the tensioner. You may need to give it a nudge from inside the the engine with a long screw driver. Take notice of the tensioner because you are going to have to reassemble it properly before placing it back when it comes time to reassemble. I've decided not to give you the second option, so just use the first.

Undo the bolt that goes through the sprocket into the cam. Wiggle the sprocket off the cam and gently place it down on top of the chain guides. Now undo all of the bolts holding down the rocker gear, starting from the outside and working your way towards the middle. Do not try and remove the bolts from the rocker gear, just undo them until they are clear of the thread in the head.

Now you can lift the rocker gear off, be especially careful that the lifters don't drop out, it's handy if you have someone to watch and retrieve any that drop, and place them back in the bucket they came out of. The cam can now be lifted out.

Refitting the cam is just a reverse of removal, paying attention to the following
1. Sit the dowel pin of the new cam in the same spot as the one you removed, before refitting the chain, make sure on the harmonic balancer that the engine hasn't moved, then place the chain and sprocket on the cam and sit the bolt in but only screw it in one turn.

2. Refit the rocker gear and do them up in stages, working from the middle out to the outside.
3. Now do up the cam bolt.

4. Now it's time for the tensioner, you need to have it as a single unit compressed together, hopefully you understand what I mean by looking at it. Slide it into the timing case and push it up to the guide, make sure that the groove in the tensioner fits around the back of the guide. Now you need to seperate the centre bolt in the plug and the plug itself. Once you have done this, screw in and tighten the plug, then insert an allen key(I think a 4mm) and turn (I think anti clockwise), you'll feel the spring tension come back against your hand, and the chain should tighten. Then screw in the centre bolt and tighten.
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Anyone want to do it for me as i cant be ИИИИed comes with free beer
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend