Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Default Vicroads: Creating congestion to save lives WTF?!?!??!

Well theyve officially lost their minds.

Reading in the Herald Sun today, the outgoing Vicroads chairman had made a conference where he had admitted that Vicroads had been focusing on the "speed kills" policy to the extent, that they had PURPOSELY ENGINEERED TRAFFIC CONGESTION so that traffic speed would be kept lower in the attempt to lower road deaths!!!

"Well you can either have more deaths on the road and have a faster traffic flow or you can have congestion and less people dying and obviously we chose the latter."

He went on to descrive Vicroads operations as "disgraceful".

Has the world gone insane? Who put these retards in a position of responsibility?
Why the hell is did they just implement a Fast Rail project (that failed abysmally i might add) if speed is such a tyrant in their eyes???

Last edited by T_Terror; 04-08-2006 at 09:56 PM.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Congestion will probably lead to more deaths though, not to mention enviromentally not friendly.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate vic roads so much.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Kryton

yep, more accidents happen at lower speeds. although maybe not so many people will die, insurance premiums will go up.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I hate MLB with a passion. But I love country Vic. Just spent a couple of nights in Yea. Beautiful, cold, but beautiful.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Do these self gratifying bastards even consider that congestion is the fundamental cause of rage, frustration and anger? Don't they realise that people take stupid risks on the road to try and get ahead of congestion?

Quite frankly, it is political BS that is just too hard to swallow.
They don't have the money nor the foresight to actually fix the problem, so they just tell everyone they meant it. Man I hate politicians.
Reminds me of the proverbial kid showing off on his bike, falls and just as everyone is about to laugh he says; "I meant to do that".
Worst part is this tosser probably travelled the world on the taxpayers dime in order to witness other practices in other countries, only to find no solutions.
And people hate lawyers.........Man alive, what a bunch of useless bastards.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Do these self gratifying bastards even consider that congestion is the fundamental cause of rage, frustration and anger? Don't they realise that people take stupid risks on the road to try and get ahead of congestion?

Quite frankly, it is political BS that is just too hard to swallow.
They don't have the money nor the foresight to actually fix the problem, so they just tell everyone they meant it. Man I hate politicians.
Reminds me of the proverbial kid showing off on his bike, falls and just as everyone is about to laugh he says; "I meant to do that".
Worst part is this tosser probably travelled the world on the taxpayers dime in order to witness other practices in other countries, only to find no solutions.
And people hate lawyers.........Man alive, what a bunch of useless bastards.
i completely agree. I think sensible drivers will take more stupid risks with this sort of congestion. Yes morons make the rules.....
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Well theyve officially lost their minds.

Reading in the Herald Sun today, the outgoing Vicroads chairman had made a conference where he had admitted that Vicroads had been focusing on the "speed kills" policy to the extent, that they had PURPOSELY ENGINEERED TRAFFIC CONGESTION so that traffic speed would be kept lower in the attempt to lower road deaths!!!

"Well you can either have more deaths on the road and have a faster traffic flow or you can have congestion and less people dying and obviously we chose the latter."

He went on to descrive Vicroads operations as "disgraceful".

Has the world gone insane? Who put these retards in a position of responsibility?
Why the hell is did they just implement a Fast Rail project (that failed abysmally i might add) if speed is such a tyrant in their eyes???
I am surprised this made it to press, but yes - I have for some time now tried to have Vic Roads adopt the NSW motorway/freeway keep-left text, where we ask you to use the left lane if it is clear always, as opposed to the middle. The NSW RUH text would be slightly modded to take into acount he right lane E Tag lanes. So advocated year in year out on my part to combat what I consider (in Melbourne) to be the western worlds worse driving behaviour for a right hand drive jurisdiction, in relation to motorway lane discipline.

Any form of improvement in this driver behavioural area is resisted, including the lane start layout markings being standardised.

It is true that some speed managers or employees oppose the keep left rule and simply don't try to improve things in driver education (the initial driver manuals) to further that ideal.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
Kryton

i havent read the actual written document (only what the first post stated) but where does it mention that not keeping left is the governments form of planned congestion?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i havent read the actual written document (only what the first post stated) but where does it mention that not keeping left is the governments form of planned congestion?
yeah that was pretty out of left field (pardon the pun).

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
yeah that was pretty out of left field (pardon the pun).
I think you have to read between the lines here. I think he's saying that VicRoads is deliberately using the lack of lane discipline to slow things down. Sheep straying all over the road so to speak.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
paulvdb

Not being a Victorian I can't name the road - one of the city link routes west of the city. Goes from 90 to 80 to 60 in the afternoon - all in freeway conditions. You get to the 60 zone (eventually because you get stuck in the traffic jam caused by 60 zone 10km ahead), and there's nothing there! The 60 zone is completely artificial! It has no relationship to weather, road conditions, roadworks, houses, entering/exiting lanes - nuffink!. It's quite clear that the traffic jam is artificial and as a NSW driver I sit there and ask "WTF???"
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #13
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb
Not being a Victorian I can't name the road - one of the city link routes west of the city. Goes from 90 to 80 to 60 in the afternoon - all in freeway conditions. You get to the 60 zone (eventually because you get stuck in the traffic jam caused by 60 zone 10km ahead), and there's nothing there! The 60 zone is completely artificial! It has no relationship to weather, road conditions, roadworks, houses, entering/exiting lanes - nuffink!. It's quite clear that the traffic jam is artificial and as a NSW driver I sit there and ask "WTF???"
That would be the Western Ring Road.. Variable speed limit on a time basis...
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Now it all makes sense when thinking about the totally inappropriate variable speed limits that they set on the Western Ring Road.

As I said in a previous thread, the speed limits they set actually caused congestion. I know, because a couple of times the variable speed limit light system wasnt working, everyone was doing 100 kph, and there was no congestion whatsoever AND it was completely safe. And this wasn't during holiday or non-peak times.

Obviously these people go by train to work, sit in their ivory towers during the day and wouldnt have a clue what their policies are doing, or not doing. These people should get out in the real world and try to understand what is really the best way around the situation, or they should get another job.

When I say the best way around the situation, I mean improve lane designs to make them more free running, to avoid drivers having to change lanes when merging etc. The Calder Hwy between Melton Hwy turnoff and Calder Park is a prime example also of incompetency within VicRoads. As it is now it is a complete shambles with that 80 kmph limit (lowered from 100) over some 6 or so kms. I have already seen accidents since this was changed recently. And Vicroads say it is in the interests of safety!!!
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Obviously these people go by train to work, sit in their ivory towers during the day and wouldnt have a clue what their policies are doing, or not doing. These people should get out in the real world and try to understand what is really the best way around the situation, or they should get another job.
They're the same people who brought in another earth shattering Victorian first - the mandatory wearing of lifejackets at all times in boats, even when you're asleep, in the shower, or trapped below decks trying to swim down to get out of a sinking boat. There are many good things about Victoria but where the f... do you get your public servants? From Canberra?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Tell me, these varying speed limits wouldn't have anything to do with fixed speed cameras would it? It's certainly one way of ensuring an income stream.
Shifting the goalposts happens all the time in local and state government.
Just a further complication of %*&@face-itis!

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
LeMans

Let me guess that a report is about to be published that the Government’s policies are causing traffic congestion. In an election year, this would be a disaster. So in come the spin doctors who closely analyze the situation and fabricate a story that will guzump the negative media hype before this report can be released. Immediately, the Government announces that traffic congestion is deliberate so that it can save lives, and if you disagree with their policies then you are an irresponsible baby killer. Now try arguing against this report.

Incidentally, it is well known that an increase in congestion has a direct effect on respiratory diseases and consequent deaths. This argument has been used for decades to justify the existence of freeways. This expected increase in deaths can be calculated with a reasonable accuracy and is accepted within the scientific community as being credible. I wonder where these government figures are accounted in their congestion policy.
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #18
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans
Let me guess that a report is about to be published that the Government’s policies are causing traffic congestion. In an election year, this would be a disaster. So in come the spin doctors who closely analyze the situation and fabricate a story that will guzump the negative media hype before this report can be released. Immediately, the Government announces that traffic congestion is deliberate so that it can save lives, and if you disagree with their policies then you are an irresponsible baby killer.

THats a interesting theory, could very well be the case here, i cant see the government critisizing themselves for nothing...

Spot on about arguing with government policies. Since theyre all protected under pretense of safety, anyone who stands up is shot down as a baby killer, a "bloody idiot" or worse yet, a hoon....
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #19
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

The unfortunate thing is that public servants like vicroads employees arent voted in by any democratic means which means that short of a public outcry, they arent accountable for their actions (to any real extent anyway).
Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
The unfortunate thing is that public servants like vicroads employees arent voted in by any democratic means which means that short of a public outcry, they arent accountable for their actions (to any real extent anyway).
Perhaps then the responsible government minister should wear it then. But then it will be like water off a ducks back. A no-win situation.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

There are speed cameras along the variable speed limits over the Westgate bridge, and along Western Ring road. I do know with the Westgate bridge if entering from Todd road, you can be over the top of the bridge, and past a set of cameras, before you realise its set at 60kmph instead of the usual 80 kmph. There is little opportunity to notice the variable limit signs while trying to avoid surrounding traffic (and accidents), since these signs are so inappropriately positioned. (but appropriate for maximum revenue)

I cannot confirm however if they are linked to the varying limits, or just set at the highest limit. Can anyone confirm?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Keepleft

What can we do to ensure Mexico adopts the keep left legislation?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why alot of drivers stay in the middle lane is that if you saw how many people here are unable to smoothly merge onto the freeway at 80km/h+, you'd see why we stay in the middle lanes. If you sat in the left lane you'd need to hit the brakes every time you came up to an onramp. I see it constantly - car hits 60km/h-70km/h half way along the onramp, then stays at that speed. Then they merge, causing cars to hit the brakes to wipe off 40km/h, then the merging car accelerates slowly to 100km/h. Next onramp, repeat process. It's hard enough keeping the slowpokes from clogging up the right lane.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
The reason why alot of drivers stay in the middle lane is that if you saw how many people here are unable to smoothly merge onto the freeway at 80km/h+, you'd see why we stay in the middle lanes. If you sat in the left lane you'd need to hit the brakes every time you came up to an onramp. I see it constantly - car hits 60km/h-70km/h half way along the onramp, then stays at that speed. Then they merge, causing cars to hit the brakes to wipe off 40km/h, then the merging car accelerates slowly to 100km/h. Next onramp, repeat process. It's hard enough keeping the slowpokes from clogging up the right lane.
This seems to also be part of the Vicroads mentality.

Refer to a post of mine on another thread:

I think I know the real problem why drivers want to stay in the RH lanes, at least here in Victoria.

It is the way "traffic engineers" design the entrances and exits to freeways, where anyone entering has to merge with traffic before they can get up to the speed of this traffic. This is because the run-up and exiting lanes are far too short. Therefore anyone in the LH lanes have to keep braking for these cars joining/exiting. Why not just stay in the RH lane and not be disrupted by these cars?

In England, the motorways are much better designed to actually promote driving in the LH lane. This is done by making the LH lanes continuous, so that entering traffic does not have to change lanes when entering. Traffic travelling in the LH lane can continue without having to worry about traffic merging into their lanes, and when safe, they actually merge left into the new LH lane. It is the RH lanes that end, merging into the next lane. Therefore you cannot stay in the RH lane endlessly.

Have a look next time, here in Vic, the LH lanes end, and its so frustrating having to change lanes all the time when travelling in the LH lane. Hence most like to travel in the RH lane.

Personally I think the "traffic engineers" here need to be sent overseas to see how it should be done. This also includes roundabout traffic management (another issue).
Old 07-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #25
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
This seems to also be part of the Vicroads mentality.

Refer to a post of mine on another thread:

I think I know the real problem why drivers want to stay in the RH lanes, at least here in Victoria.

It is the way "traffic engineers" design the entrances and exits to freeways, where anyone entering has to merge with traffic before they can get up to the speed of this traffic. This is because the run-up and exiting lanes are far too short. Therefore anyone in the LH lanes have to keep braking for these cars joining/exiting. Why not just stay in the RH lane and not be disrupted by these cars?

In England, the motorways are much better designed to actually promote driving in the LH lane. This is done by making the LH lanes continuous, so that entering traffic does not have to change lanes when entering. Traffic travelling in the LH lane can continue without having to worry about traffic merging into their lanes, and when safe, they actually merge left into the new LH lane. It is the RH lanes that end, merging into the next lane. Therefore you cannot stay in the RH lane endlessly.

Have a look next time, here in Vic, the LH lanes end, and its so frustrating having to change lanes all the time when travelling in the LH lane. Hence most like to travel in the RH lane.

Personally I think the "traffic engineers" here need to be sent overseas to see how it should be done. This also includes roundabout traffic management (another issue).
Some on ramps are a little short, especially the uphill ones, but so many people just seem to level out their speed well before they reach the freeway. I've driven my mechanics crappy 20 year old loan cars with 1.6 litres and a power sapping 3 speed auto and managed to hit the speed limit before the freeway. Most of the people easing up are driving larger cars with more than enough go to do the job without revving it hard.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #26
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I know, this happens in NSW too. But driving skill and awareness can help. In the UK in this situation drivers move into the middle lane if they see someone coming down the sliproad - they do this as a courtesy so the incoming driver doesn't have to reduce speed and so they don't have to slacken their own speed. Then when its clear again they move back into the left lane. It all works well based on politeness and commonsense. Here if you're coming down a sliplane you get mown down by someone doing 110k who hasn't taken any initiative to move to the middle when its clear. In NSW also the sliplanes (like roundabouts) will be filled with vegetation insisted on by those f... greenies so that nobody can see a thing until its too late.

Here there's also aggression that you don't get in the UK. The other day I came in from a sliproad and this Mercedes van who was a long way back suddenly accelerated up behind tooting his horn, falshing his lights and slamming the brakes to teach me a lesson. Only trouble it was raining heavily. Last I saw of him in the rear vision mirror his van was doing the Blue Danube waltz all over the motorway and all the other cars had stopped in terror while he finished his Dancing with the Stars routine.

The other issue with those motorways in Victoria is they were probably funded by us all through the federal govt. Victoria's form on that is illustrated perfectly by the standard gauge railway from Melbourne to Albury. Given to them by the Feds in 1960 and allowed to run to ruin. There has been a train capable of doing Sydney to Melbourne in 10 hours since 1981 (the XPT). It took the Victorian govt about 15 years to let it cross the border. It is capable of doing 160kph between Wagga and melbourne. It does this from Wagga to the border then has to slow down to a rock n' rolling 100 the rest of the way. So its not like they're trying to encourage public transport either. I think they just enjoy being bureaucrats.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #27
Zephyr
Old rookie

It's ironic that Vicroads no nothing about Victorian Roads...

That's why they are terrible to drive on!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

I find it ironic that they (Vic govt) would spend the entire GDP of a small nation buiding such a massive network of highways and freeways with heaps of overpasses and bridges etc, which is designed to speed up travelling, reduce congestion and get people to their destinations faster.... and then coming up with strategies to slow those people down on the said highways by just posting lower, ridiculous speed limits, to increase congestion and.... save lives?

Are they admitting that the money they invested in that entire network was now wasted and that the entire system is causing road fatalities??? Perhaps I was mistaken in my belief that the whole road system over there was designed to REDUCE congestion... my bad!

*XRchic sniffs and smells the nasty stink of revenue raising justified by contradictory and flawed road safety policies native only to Victoria*

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #29
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These ******* are frustrating and need to go.

Vic roads and the stupid bracks govt. Im never going to victoria
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #30
EL_futuraistic

HAHAHAHA LOL!

The Victorian Govt. and its associated departments are a never ending source of amusement.

BRACKS, TAX AND LIES

Im so glad i pay my $560.20 each year for VicRoads to play "the italian job" and to pathetically justify it as trying to save my life.......
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post