Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Default XR front end on Forte....How hard to do?

Would it be a big job to put an XR front end on my 99 Forte wagon? What do I need to do it?
Any help much appreciated.

Old 25-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Well, you need the associated XR parts obviously, but with yours already having a low series bonnet, you shouldn't need anything out of the ordinary.

XR parts you will need are the front nose cone (obviously), the headlights and the headlight brackets.

I'm sure others will add anything I have missed.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Well, you need the associated XR parts obviously, but with yours already having a low series bonnet, you shouldn't need anything out of the ordinary.

XR parts you will need are the front nose cone (obviously), the headlights and the headlight brackets.

I'm sure others will add anything I have missed.
As above, plus Front bar brackets & XR indicators. May need to do some wire shifting between the Forte loom and the XR plugs, but it's mostly pretty simple.
Have a look through Ron's thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11246213
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Thanks, Just what I needed!
Old 25-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud
Thanks, Just what I needed!
Been there and done that - it's a lot easier than it looks - just takes a few hours (and helps if you have a Haynes/gregory's manual)

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 25-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv got a series one forte, whats the average cost of taking the car into a workshop and having the conversion done by a pro. Eg. all new parts? Or at the least a salvaged front end and lights?
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Iv got a series one forte, whats the average cost of taking the car into a workshop and having the conversion done by a pro. Eg. all new parts? Or at the least a salvaged front end and lights?
New front bar from ford is over $1300. Lights are around $450 per side. Labour would be a few hours, and then there's painting etc. So I'd say around $3k - much better to trade yours on one.

If you get a good second hand bar in the right colour (doubtful for yours - not many XRs made in "funny green"), then you should be able to get the bar and lights for under $1k total. Fitting should be under $300. I think Ronwest got his for around $400, but it was slightly damaged so not sure of his overall end cost.

When I did mine, I bought the bar and bonnet off Bucky for $600, and the lights and indicators cost me another $600 odd. Labour was free, as I did it.

Last edited by JC; 25-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 25-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Bring it found to my place and I'll charge you a third of what a pro wants to fit it.

BYO parts of course.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And while Dan is stuffing around with your car, sneak around behind him and steal the XR and not worry about changing the front end

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, trade in sounds much better.
Considering a cheap but well maintained original XR8.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post