Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
jonohall

Default tranny fluid change

hey guys

Could i please get info on changing the tranny fluid in an auto EL falcon. How to go about it and what fluid to use please?- photos would be great if available. Its getting a bit rough changing gears etc.

cheers

jonohall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
poomba
xc - my other love

ok, first a search wouldnt hurt on this but...

1: go buy tranny service supplies (1*filter, 1*gasket, 1*oil)

2: Jack car up and make sure IT IS SAFE, use stands or ramps, and chock the back wheel

3:undo all the pan nuts, crack them first, and loosen the back ones. you will have oils starting to dribble out (you can use an oil catch pan, or shower in it if you want)

4: once oil has slowed, remove pan and let the rest of the oil drain from the box

5: while this is happening, you will see a magnet on the pan you just removed. clean all the metal fillings off that.

6: while the oil is still drining, remove gasket from pan, and clean surface from any **** (goob, whatever) (feel free to eat the old gasket, you don't need it anymore)

7: Get your a*s back under the car and look at the filter in the transmission. if you don't know what one looks like, look at the one you just bought (One in the tranny may appear dirty)

8: note where the spring clip goes across the filter and mounts onto the castings of the transmission *Rember this*

9: remove spring clip, remove filter, wait for some more oil to drain (feel free to shower in it again)

10: replace with fresh filter and re insert clip (hold your tounge the right way for this)

11: put gasket on pan, and bolt pan back to transmission. be cearful that gaskt does not slip off its mount here, take your time and get it right. bolt up even and tight (not insanly tight, just firm)

12: check that gasket is as it should be

13: check it once more, then think, and check again (tranny oil is hard to clean off concrete)

14: let car off stands and put on level surface

15: pull out gearbox dipstick (drivers side, yellow knob right near firewall)

16: fill with tranny fluid down the hole the dipstick came out, be cearful not to over fill it, just do a bit at a time, using how much of the old stuff that came out as a basic guide. let it settle and check again, adjust where necessary.

17: take it for a drive, get it nice and hot (tranny may play around here, if it does, check the fluid levels and adjust.

18: get home and check for leaks and the likes

19: sit back and sink p1ss, with the self satisfaction on the fact that you yourself have just completed a transmission service... let the women come and the beer fall from the skies.

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL

Last edited by poomba; 21-12-2006 at 05:18 PM. Reason: i like pizza
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
penrith_panther
EB II

[QUOTE=poomba let the women come and the beer fall from the skies.[/QUOTE]

LMAO :hihi:
penrith_panther is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
jonohall

thanks for the replies. being an EL it is going to be a little different. My gf got me the gregory's manual for chrissy. Ill read that thoroughly then get back to ya with questions i have!

cheers
jonohall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

what dammage can be done by over filling it, i have a manual but im interested
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

well being an EL it may not have the dipstick like us earlier BTR drivers have.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
poomba
xc - my other love

i doubt you wil see a dipstick on a manual, and its hard to overfill because it will just flow out the filler hole, but on an auto, i guess the dangers in over filling here: oil pressure?? burning fluid? fluid comming out the dipstick?? not sure, just made it good practise to do it right, and tranny fluid is expensive...

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
(you can use an oil catch pan, or shower in it if you want)
haha i choose the second option! i need a shower.

Quote:
and its hard to overfill because it will just flow out the filler hole,
ROFL

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just be aware that the method given by Poomba, while an excellent method, won't change all your fluid. To change it all you really need to flush the entire system or get it flushed. It cost me $200 to get a full power flush done (pumped 12 litres of all through before it started looking clear). The fluid was a very dark brown. Now I'm sure the fluid is (mostly) clean it will get a regular part change by me using the method given by Poomba.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

there are cheaper and easier ways to flush the system see http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf

You should also adjust the bands after the fluid change.
Old 23-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the oil your after is TQ95...