Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Big 'O' on the Harbour Bridge

Does anyone else find this a gross and disgusting abuse of power, tax payer money and, well, basically a hideous eyesore on the Sydney landscape?
So what, she might bring in a few tourism dollars, why should that be at the cost of selling our most famous landmark out to this lame TALK SHOW HOST.

Quote:
O YES! The Harbour Bridge will be adorned with Oprah Winfrey's trademark "O" to mark her visit next week. That means for the duration of her stay Winfrey will own Sydney's two most famous landmarks, the Bridge and the Opera House, where she will record two shows on December 14. Sources close to Winfrey's company Harpo Productions refused to reveal details: "Oprah loves to surprise her audience and never releases her plans in advance."

But a Government insider revealed engineers and designers had been hard at work for the past month on Premier Kristina Keneally's dream of branding the Bridge with Winfrey's personal logo.
What a crock.. I hate this government, i'm sick of their endless waste our highly taxed money on pointless crap.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Well apparently her appearance here in Oz will boost tourism or somesuch. I for one don't really like her at all.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Well apparently her appearance here in Oz will boost tourism or somesuch. I for one don't really like her at all.
How does it boost tourism exactly?
Like - I know she has an 'entourage' and there is the 200 odd americans coming with her...

Seems a big waste to me - but I suppose I'm not their target audience...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Damn, and I was thinkin' it was for Roy Orbison.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
How does it boost tourism exactly?
Like - I know she has an 'entourage' and there is the 200 odd americans coming with her...

Seems a big waste to me - but I suppose I'm not their target audience...
I read somewhere that WE are paying for it though - or atleast some of the visit. Can't remember where i read it though.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should have stuck it on top of that funny shaped white thingy.... The Oprah House...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
should have stuck it on top of that funny shaped white thingy.... The Oprah House...
where do you come up with this stuff ........
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
where do you come up with this stuff ........
not me.. its the voices..........
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well she's got the Opera house too apparently, its where the shows will be recorded.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1225964145625

This has just struck a nerve with me - it's not exactly the most important piece of news around..
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Apparently the shows will be seen by 70,000,000 people in various countries. Potentially 70,000,000 people thinking of Sydney when they next think of a holiday destination. Thats the theory anyway.

It is probably cheaper than specific advertising campaigns.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

oh, i thought this was about an Orgasm.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
oh, i thought this was about an Orgasm.
That's what I thought, congratulations for getting a sly one on an icon but AFF is no place to brag.

On topic though, Oprah is more powerful than God in some places of the US. As embarrassing as it is 1 Oprah trip will be better value than the last ten years of television advertising we've paid for.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the MILLIONS of people from ALL OVER the world who love Oprah will watch the SEVERAL special event shows see how awesome our country is and will come and see for themselves.

You people are very narrow minded. It will do huge things for tourism.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
the MILLIONS of people from ALL OVER the world who love Oprah will watch the SEVERAL special event shows see how awesome our country is and will come and see for themselves.

You people are very narrow minded. It will do huge things for tourism.
This is pretty much what I was getting at. Still, we shouldn't foot the bill. She's a billionaire, she should be paying for this(if it's true that taxpayer money is paying for it).
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think it's a great idea - though I am assuming she will be shot through it by a cannon?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like Rod's idea.

I think it's stupid as well, then again I think how famous she is for what she does is also stupid, so I guess it equals out.

Maybe when Ellen comes out they can have a giant picture of two girls hooking up? Or if GBush comes out a giant cawk?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I like Rod's idea.

I think it's stupid as well, then again I think how famous she is for what she does is also stupid, so I guess it equals out.

Maybe when Ellen comes out they can have a giant picture of two girls hooking up? Or if GBush comes out a giant cawk?
If Ellen comes they'll get a giant poster of her put up on a landmark building. Everyone will ask "who's the dude?"
Game. Reinvented.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring on Dr Phil he will solve all our problems....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
bring on Dr Phil he will solve all our problems....
Nah mate if ya wanna solve ya problems ya gotta start a thread about it ....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

If Oprah can convince people to come to Australia where Lara Bingle couldn't, well, I just don't understand Americans.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It won't do much for tourism. Americans think Australia is too far away and the idea of being on a plane for more than 9 hours frightens the life out of them. As for Oprah, I'm amazed that one woman is able to keep thousands of American women controlled like Stepford Wives. Frightening that people are so mesmerised by an African American woman with a ghetto booty.

Quote: