Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default The how to thread!!

I have given this some thought and people keep asking the same questions..I am not sure how much can be crammed in here but would love to see people with a helpful attitude. I am not sure how much can be covered but here goes nothing..

I need some advice on removing the au 1 hub assembly and bearings. So far I had removed the wheel, brakes and disc.From there I removed the cap. This is where things got confusing and can be a sticky spot for others..The retaining nut was not a single nut but 4 on top of each other. These are protected by a metal cover to stop them from coming loose.I literally broke this outer casing to get to the retaining nuts.It ended up being a 32 mm socket which removed these.I removed the assembly and installed the new one. The problem from there was that the 4 nuts did not line up perfectly when I tightened them. I ended up tightening the crap out of them with my body wieght. I took the car for a drive and voila..scraping noise still there and when I turn corners. What have I done incorrectly?
Does any one know the right way to do this? Lets answer this and then if anyone else has a how to question or how to do the type away.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

this would be a great thing for the AUBit ..

Move all the HowTo Stickies into a Seperate bit so i dont have to scroll halfway down the page to read the posts

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I have done this on mine but mine just went back together how you said and it worked. I had trouble getting the locking nut of but putting on it all just fell into place i was suprised at how easy it was. I guess i was just lucky.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

To me it sounds like the hub assembly is different for AUII and III.
All I needed to do was remove the 35mm centre nut and the entire hub just came straight off.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 18-01-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
To me it sounds like the hub assembly is different for AUII and III.
All I needed to do was remove the 35mm centre nut and the entire hub just came straight off.
Was it one bolt Simon? If so I may go to ford and get this bolt.Mine is the au1. I will for everyones benefit take pics of exactly how it is done .Also I will categorise the repair an put it under a heading along with other how to's.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 18-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have at look at the Technical Documents page link in the blue header at (inbetween Gallery and Timeslips) .... in there near the top of the listing is a How-To from Ronwest with a lot of pics.

It shows what his hub looks like ... and what the main bolt looks like as well.
Good clear pics and concise information in there.

actually ... here's the link:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=319
Old 18-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

That link isnt working for me? Neither does it when I click it at the top.?

Old 18-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Strange that one ... maybe the thread is else where.

Here's a pic of the old hub with the centre nut in place

Last edited by Mechan1k; 18-01-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 18-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Default changing wheel bearings..

Well here it goes...I have taken a pictures on how to remove it and reinstall.Firstly ,remove the wheel and remove the brake calipers.The bolts are 13mm and there are 2.Then prize the brakes off.The disc will go very loose so keep a finger on it so it doesnt fall. Then remove the centre dust cover with a screwdriver.This will expose the wheel bearing nuts which are enclosed in a metal sheet retainer.DO NOT TRY TO OPEN IT!!!This is the incorrect way and what I did yesterday.The nut assembly in au1 to au3 is the same .Inside it does have 4 nuts.Please do not open it!!!. Instead I used a 36mm hex inpact socket around the whole lot to remove it as is.I greased the hub up like we used to but I dont think it is necessary as it is sealed.The bolt must be retightened.I tughtened mine according to Max ellery handbokk which I do believe is wrong .It quotes 450nm!! I did mine to 50 foot lbs. I am unsure of the torque settings so maybe someone can shed some light on this.If so p[lease quote foot pounds and nm.

Despite my proffessional job I still had terrible grinding.I changed my disc and it got worse.I reinstalled the old disk and found less noise.I searched for where the heck the scraping sound was from and voila!! My lower drivers ball joint is holding by a bees finger.It scrapes just on the inside of the disc by a mm or 2!!

In the third photo across you can see my damaged nut and a new one from ford much like mechanik's

Last edited by Stav; 08-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 18-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

I realised I forgot something..once the nut is undone the hub assembly comes straight out if you pull it out gently.

Old 18-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crikey,my front right's been making a real racket lately.i was planing on changing both next weekend but now .......
stav is yours just one of those stubborn ones?
going buy the pics that hub asembly looks like a jig saw puzzle????
Old 18-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

The pics didnt come out in order mate.I just didnt have the knowledge but learnt real quick.Get a 36 socket mate ..its easy!! I treated the AU like I did the eb I had.This is why I had a few setbacks.Just that this setup is all one piece as far as the washer,nut and retainer goes. It takes 30 minutes to do..

Old 19-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder why 4 locking nuts ?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs
i wonder why 4 locking nuts ?
They are actually concave and seem to have a tensioning action on the next nut to lock it in.

Old 19-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

Default Simplifed how to..

Replacing hub bearing assembly

1/ Remove wheel
2/ Remove brake calipers held by 2 13 mm retaining bolts.
3/ Remove disc
4/ Remove hub abs plastic cover with a flat blade screwdriver.
5/ Insert a 36 mm hex socket and remove the main nut which hold bearing assembly to stub .
6/ Old bearing hub assembly literally slides out
7/ Slide new one on.
8/ Reinstall the main assembly nut with the 36 mm hex socket.Tighten to specs( 45 nm?)
9/ Reinstall disc,brake cliper and hub plastic bearing cover.
10 / Install wheel.
11/ Drive the car.

Replace front springs

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=27

Last edited by Stav; 19-01-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 22-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Also to add ... prior to installing the new hub ... clean up the spindle that the hub slides over with emery paper to remove any rust ... and I put loctite on the thread when re-installing the centre nut as well.

I had issues getting the damn hub cover back on though ... it only wanted to sit perfectly in one way I found (unless I damaged it removing the bugger).
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
The Mighty Red

the Hub Axle retaining nut is 305nm according to my Gregorys AU repair manual
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
accurate1

Stav, you need to re torque the axle nut to around 225ft/lb or 300nm, the way you have now is dangerous and not preloading the bearings properly.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
LPGUTE

sorry to dig up old tread but will 260nm bit close enough? it is hard to fine a torque wrench with anything more then 200nm

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post