Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Default AU engines pre-modified

Guys,

Just came accross this on ebay. AU Engines that come with the alternator AND modified sump to fit any EA-EL. They have alloy welded the sump by the looks of it, which is pretty expensive unless you know someone who does it.

Quite a good price too.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Modified-AU-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers.

BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not bad.... That won't suit the 3belt setup though ;)
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Not bad.... That won't suit the 3belt setup though ;)
Very true, but what kind of a sucker would put an AU engine in with multi belt?? ;)

Lucky I just converted to Single belt
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 20-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Very true, but what kind of a sucker would put an AU engine in with multi belt?? ;)
Some kind of cheep bastard! :P

Freight wouldnt be huge.. definetely under a $100 id say
Old 20-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

mmm.. nice
perfect for EF/EL owners!
wonder what freight would be worth though.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
mmm.. nice
perfect for EF/EL owners!
wonder what freight would be worth though.
The last AU engine we got down from Queensland to the workshop was around $55 freight.
Old 20-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt the whole point of doing the swap to get the single belt and bbm really so it seems a little pointless to me.
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
Isnt the whole point of doing the swap to get the single belt and bbm really so it seems a little pointless to me.
No.

The point of the conversion is to get a MUCH more refined, stronger, more powerful long motor into your E-series.

I've got a single belt on my ED engine, and BBM isn't worth the effort.

An AU engine is SUCH an improvement over our leaky, crappy E-Series engines.
Old 21-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
No.

The point of the conversion is to get a MUCH more refined, stronger, more powerful long motor into your E-series.

I've got a single belt on my ED engine, and BBM isn't worth the effort.

An AU engine is SUCH an improvement over our leaky, crappy E-Series engines.
Ok no worries, my EB came with AU power with bbm and single belt, i just think that if ya gonna do the swap you might aswell swap the lot. But i guess ive never had the h/f's of doing it lol
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

not really... AU engines will generally have low km's, i know if i was changing the main reason would be for the lower KM's on the engine.
the serpentine belt and BBM would simply be bonus
Old 20-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU engines also go a lot better and rev a lot smoother. Even with 3belt setup and EA-D manifold AND they dont leak oil!
Old 20-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
Christiaan

Quote:
AU engines also go a lot better and rev a lot smoother. Even with 3belt setup and EA-D manifold AND they dont leak oil!
Amen!

It's amazing that Ford didn't refine the 4 litre before the AU. They had 8 years to do something about them. Took way too long.
Old 21-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i was doing it again id definetely go the serpentine setup.. so much easier just a bit more expensive.
Old 21-10-2006, 03:53 AM   #14
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

I still don't understand what's wrong with just grinding the ribs back on the front of the sump to make it fit. That's what I done to mine and it hasn't even come close to hitting anything.

$400 for an 80,000km motor that seems to be light years ahead of what I had previously, is more than a bargain
Old 21-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
I still don't understand what's wrong with just grinding the ribs back on the front of the sump to make it fit. That's what I done to mine and it hasn't even come close to hitting anything.

$400 for an 80,000km motor that seems to be light years ahead of what I had previously, is more than a bargain
because thats not enough for EF/EL's.
Old 21-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

so for it to fit into a EA all you have to do is grind the fins?????
or do you have to modify the sump (weld/Cut) aswell.....??....
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
white_XR8

So what the KW this thing pulls out ?
white_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

All I done was grind the ribs back on the front of the sump and tapped the bar foward just slightly for safe measure.

KW, I'm unsure of yet it will get dyno'd in December at the Geelong Dyno Day. It pulls waaaay harder, revs smoother, and the BBM isn't connected yet. I can't fault it, and I can beat things I couldn't keep up with previously.

That give you a fair indication?
Old 21-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
All I done was grind the ribs back on the front of the sump and tapped the bar foward just slightly for safe measure.
Was that for an EF/EL conversion or for an earlier model E series?
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU motors are sweet. I drove the GF's AU last night and it feels so much smoother and has more torque at low revs. Not quite as fast as mine but nicer to drive.

Auto is so much better than manual!

I reckon a BA motor would be better still though :
Old 21-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #21
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

the au engine are soooo much better !!!

$1200 is a bit rich though!!
i payed 550 with all accesorys and 60,000 then all i did was grind the ribs off the front of the sump and she went in no problems!!!

ba motor would be sweet as but $$$ conversion modifying ...

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #22
Christiaan

Ok, It seems alot of people don't know the difference between an EA-ED k-frame, and an EF-EL k-frame.

The EA-ED k-frame has a the bar type setup that ned is talking about. The only necessary measure is to grind the front fins from the sump, and push the bar slightly forward so that there is around 3-5cm's clearance. EA-ED is easy, but more expensive, as the single belt system is preferred over converting the AU engine to multi belt.

The EF-EL has a completely different k-frame. It's alot thicker, and only allows a small gap for the sump to poke down into. The AU sump fouls the k-frame heavily, and the only way to get the AU engine to fit, is to either;

a) Remove the sump and cut/weld it to fit (as the guys in the ebay advertisement have done)

b) Modify/weld the k-frame to allow for the extra size of the AU sump.

Both of those options are quite expensive. Alloy welding is a specialty, and not as easy as steel. And the other option, I would NEVER cut the k-frame on a car, simply for structural integrity. If someone who had modified the k-frame improperly, without an engineers assistance, got into an accident, the frame could bend alot easier, and make the car unsafe.

These engines are pricey, but a god send for EF-EL owners. EA-ED owners can get a cheaper, un-modified AU engine, but will have to spend more money on single belt system.

Hope this clears things up.
Old 22-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Ok, It seems alot of people don't know the difference between an EA-ED k-frame, and an EF-EL k-frame.

The EA-ED k-frame has a the bar type setup that ned is talking about. The only necessary measure is to grind the front fins from the sump, and push the bar slightly forward so that there is around 3-5cm's clearance. EA-ED is easy, but more expensive, as the single belt system is preferred over converting the AU engine to multi belt.

The EF-EL has a completely different k-frame. It's alot thicker, and only allows a small gap for the sump to poke down into. The AU sump fouls the k-frame heavily, and the only way to get the AU engine to fit, is to either;

a) Remove the sump and cut/weld it to fit (as the guys in the ebay advertisement have done)

b) Modify/weld the k-frame to allow for the extra size of the AU sump.

Both of those options are quite expensive. Alloy welding is a specialty, and not as easy as steel. And the other option, I would NEVER cut the k-frame on a car, simply for structural integrity. If someone who had modified the k-frame improperly, without an engineers assistance, got into an accident, the frame could bend alot easier, and make the car unsafe.

These engines are pricey, but a god send for EF-EL owners. EA-ED owners can get a cheaper, un-modified AU engine, but will have to spend more money on single belt system.

Hope this clears things up.

cleared a few things up on how to fit it, yet i still don't know why you should. why are they a better motor? whats different between the EA to AU?
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #24
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
cleared a few things up on how to fit it, yet i still don't know why you should. why are they a better motor? whats different between the EA to AU?
For starters, engine reconditions are not cheap. It can be anywhere upto $1500 for a reco for your engine. Why not fit a 60,000km AU engine for $800?

Plus, as has been said alot in this thread, AU engines are smoother, more refined, they don't leak, they have less headgasket troubles, they use a 110amp alternator, the bottom end internals are stronger, etc.

All around, they are a better engine.
Old 21-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #25
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or they can harden the **** up and get the grinder out to make the 3 belt system fit like Doug did many moons ago.
Old 21-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #26
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Or they can harden the **** up and get the grinder out to make the 3 belt system fit like Doug did many moons ago.
Yeah, I did it to an AU engine a few weeks back. It's not hard, but it's a whole heaps of stuffing around. Just grab the Single belt stuff and don't be such a tightarse ;)
Old 21-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #27
niko
likes falcon's

im sure a full reco el xr motor with au internals is better than a grinded up au one :P
Old 22-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #28
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Main changes are Better head, longer rods (therefore higher piston pin height), crank better balanced, cross bolted main caps, better valve train geometry.
Old 22-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #29
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Main changes are Better head, longer rods (therefore higher piston pin height), crank better balanced, cross bolted main caps, better valve train geometry.

so the main caps are 2 bolt, but go in on an angle? how is the head better?

thanks
pete j
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #30
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better flow (unless you have an EF/L XR head) with smaller ports = better air velocity, smaller valve stems, supposedly has better coolant passages too for more even cooling.

The mains have standard Bolts going straight in but then also have bolts going in at 90deg to the other bolts.