Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
SB4
E-Series Member

Arrow Need advise on buying a new CAM :D

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a cam for my ED, just not sure what to go for, where to get it from, and how much it'll cost me to have it fitted. Im running an EL XR6 motor with shaved head, have 2.5" exhaust system, jmm extractors + high flow cat, EL bbm (switching at 3,800rpm), XR6 300kpa pressure reg, EL thermos, k&n filter, Exedy heavy duty clutch, EA T5, XR6 ECU, 3.45 diff. Where have you guys bought your cam(s) from - had it installed/dialled in, etc and which ones would you recommend? And finally what rough prices would i be looking at?
Cheers
Sam

Last edited by SB4; 10-10-2006 at 12:42 AM.
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Wade 1636 in Grechies engine, with roughly the same setup (EB/ED engine) made 146rwkw, and has proven a 14.43.

My car, wade 1004 112, same setup as you, 139.6rwkw. No quarter yet.

Both those cams will cost you $120 change over.

OR

If you want some serious power, get another head, have it ported, shaved, heavy duty valve springs, and put a DEV 5 cam in it from JMM. That will cost roughly $500-600 for the head (reco and port+polish and valve springs) and $490 for the cam. This should see around 150rwkw.

OR

If you want to get MORE power again, you will need to follow procedure 2, but instead of a Dev 5 cam, grab a wade 1521a, and get a chip, such as a Unichip or chiptorque, have the cam tuned, as you should see in excess of 160rwkw.

It's up to you how far you want to go Sam. I reckon 140rwkw is a good place to be. Not much breaks around that kilowattage. And for $120 change over, it's a very good bang for buck mod, and i can even install it for you ;)
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
SB4
E-Series Member

Thanks for all that yagz! So if i was to go for a wade 1636 or a 1004 112, i woudn't need to have any dyno tuning done?
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
My car, wade 1004 112, same setup as you, 139.6rwkw. No quarter yet.
pfft! Get a V8 up ya :nutsycuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Christiaan

Well, I installed my cam. I just bolted it in with 12 shims (because it was a regrind) and away she went.

You can get a vernier gear as well, which replaces the stock cam gear, and enables you to dial the cam in. All this does it ensure power is being made at the correct RPM positions. My cam is spot on though. Makes maximum power at 4800rpm. The power band for the cam is meant to be 2200 - 4800rpm. My cam feels exactly on par.

Dyno tuning with a stock eec, I don't know of anyone who does this? You can set the timing yourself, with the car stationery, and advance it until it starts to ping a bit, then retard it slightly. You will always have to run premium if you set the timing on premium though. After you install the cam, you could get a dyno printout, or AFR reading from a diagnostic machine at ultratune, or ford, etc, just to make sure you're getting enough fuel, etc.

Unless you get a chip, there's not much dyno tuning to be done after installing a cam..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Christiaan

But just so you know, i'm beginning to know why people rave about V8's.

My EL XR8 had 150rwkw, and a 15.5 (gearbox issues) but it felt a HELL of a lot quicker than my 140rwkw I6. It had alot more pull, and felt nicer to rev than the I6.

N/A I6 is a waste of time. You end up pulling a maximum of 170-180rwkw with about $3000 worth of effort. (if you do all the installing/etc)

If you want big power, chase a turbo setup. Bolt on 220rwkw, minor engine mods.

But then you run into legality issues. Ah, e-series suck.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Im interested in a cam too. Where would a good place to go to pick up a wade 1636. I presume it would be a similar result in my EL XR6, manual with intake and exhaust?
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

You can either buy a second hand one, or have your existing cam reground to the 1636 specs.

I've been informed by wade that new cam billits are no longer available for the 4.0, so a reground cam is the only option.
I got quoted $154 to have my xr6 cam ground to a 1604 profile. Then factor in the costs for shims, vernier gear etc...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Christiaan

shims are bugger all from the wreckers if you spend some time pulling apart an old ef/ed engine.

EB/ED shims are bigger than EF/EL shims.

Vernier gear is not a neccesity.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Christiaan

Oh, and if you're a fordmods member, a cam is $120 when you supply a cam.

I have 2 91DA cams here ready to be ground.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Excuse my ignorance but what are shims and where would I get my cam reground to 1636 specs, would the reground cam and shims be all to keep the car running and gain power as it sounds like a cheap way to get that bit extra power. Still learning alot of this stuff so your advice is extremely helpful!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
Allen

when a cam is reground, they grind the existing lobes of the cam to the new specs. This takes material off the cam causing its base circle to become smaller. The shims go under the hydralic lifter to make it taller to compensate for the smaller base circle of the cam.

To get you cam ground, call Wade http://www.wadecams.com and they should point you in the right direction.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 10-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
Christiaan

As stated above, you take your existing cam into wade, and they put it on a grinding machine, which basically transforms the lobes. The lobes of the cam are ground down a few millimeters, to change things like lift and duration. So that the rest of the rocker gear and valves operate like normal, shims are added under the Lifter that pushes onto the valve, to compensate for the stuff ground off the lobe.

To understand how that works, you've gotta know what a cam does. An overhead cam sits inside rocker gear. The 'rockers' rock back and forward as the cam lobes hit it. As the rocker rocks, it pushes onto the top of the valves, where there is a spring. The valve then opens for a certain amount of time, at a certain distance.

I think this is right, someone with more knowledge might want to correct me, but to get more power, the cam lobes are changed, so that the valve opens wider (more air) and for longer. More air, equals more flow, which in turn, means more power. There's also other factors involved with an overhead cam, but I think they are the main ones.

It is a very cheap mod, but in all honesty, I didn't notice much more power with the wade cam. As i said above, I6 engines need about $2000-3000 worth of work (heavy cam, chip, stiffer valve springs, tune, etc) to get them boogying.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Thanks for the advice but as u said if it only costs a few hundred to do, the power gain by the sounds of it makes it worth the money. Im just looking for reasonably cheap mods to get it going a bit quicker than stock, the car is only prob putting out 100-110rwkw's so if that can get up to 120rwkw+ than I think it would be worth it.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TickfordBoy
Thanks for the advice but as u said if it only costs a few hundred to do, the power gain by the sounds of it makes it worth the money. Im just looking for reasonably cheap mods to get it going a bit quicker than stock, the car is only prob putting out 100-110rwkw's so if that can get up to 120rwkw+ than I think it would be worth it.
Yeah it's worth it, but don't expect your car to suddenly go like a rocket. It's not boost. It's just a little bit more power.

I was at KK's the other night, and was served by a lovely dark haired girl, her name was celeste.

Get me a date with her!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #16
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
Yeah it's worth it, but don't expect your car to suddenly go like a rocket. It's not boost. It's just a little bit more power.

I was at KK's the other night, and was served by a lovely dark haired girl, her name was celeste.

Get me a date with her!
Celeste she's tall, dark and hot? Only prob she's only like 15 or 16, doesn't look like it but she is. If your willing to risk jail time go for gold! Any extra power is a bonus at the moment!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #17
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TickfordBoy
Celeste she's tall, dark and hot? Only prob she's only like 15 or 16, doesn't look like it but she is. If your willing to risk jail time go for gold! Any extra power is a bonus at the moment!
15 or 16 doesn't bother me.. It's how big/strong/tough/anal her father is, that's the problem.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Allen

A cam will only perform at its best when combined with exhaust and intake modifications, so dont get caught into the trap of thinking a cam will give you a large increase.

When I install my cam, it will be going in with a shaved and ported tickford head, full exhaust, CAI system and a megasquirt ECU.
Even then, i'll be happy if I get 250HP at the flywheel.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
Christiaan

shaved ported tickford head and megasquirt.. What cam?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #20
Allen

Quote:
shaved ported tickford head and megasquirt.. What cam?
Wade 1636... Im swapping my tickford item for the wade cam off another member.

Im only really going for the megasquirt so I can have full control over it for tuning + it will cost me nothing for the megasquirt

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #21
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Wade 1636... Im swapping my tickford item for the wade cam off another member.

Im only really going for the megasquirt so I can have full control over it for tuning + it will cost me nothing for the megasquirt
Megasquirt for nothing eh?

What did you barter for that?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #22
Allen

Quote:
Megasquirt for nothing eh?

What did you barter for that?
My dad builds them himself for race cars... he's done quite a few road cars too...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
My dad builds them himself for race cars... he's done quite a few road cars too...
any chance he could make me one, i would pay of coarse,
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #24
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
You can set the timing yourself, with the car stationery, and advance it until it starts to ping a bit, then retard it slightly
Dude if you get a stationery car to ping with no load, and then back it off a little bit I can guarantee as soon as you accelerate while driving with some normal load it will ping off it's tits.

Best bet is to advance it a couple of degrees, take it for a spin and listen, if it still doesn't keep going so forth. That's if you don't want a dyno tune. I'd recommend running premium with any amount of timing advance though.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #25
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Dude if you get a stationery car to ping with no load, and then back it off a little bit I can guarantee as soon as you accelerate while driving with some normal load it will ping off it's tits.

Best bet is to advance it a couple of degrees, take it for a spin and listen, if it still doesn't keep going so forth. That's if you don't want a dyno tune. I'd recommend running premium with any amount of timing advance though.

Sundeep

Sorry, should have clarified. Of course i meant drive it and check if it pings. Pinging won't occur unless the car is under load. It's almost like a rattling noise.

Yeah, clarification is a must on these forums..
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #26
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

im lookin into using a wade 1636, what chip it best for it and can it be used with NA and boosted engines???
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

you dont need a chip for the 1636, its only a mild cam with similar lift. the only real change is to the exhaust lobes, well thats on the 87 da cams(ea)

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #28
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
you dont need a chip for the 1636, its only a mild cam with similar lift. the only real change is to the exhaust lobes, well thats on the 87 da cams(ea)
do you have to get new springs and stuff with the 1636?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #29
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_Lightning
do you have to get new springs and stuff with the 1636?
No. It will work fine with the stock head.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #30
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

Quote:
No. It will work fine with the stock head.
any idea on the idle quality of the 1636?