Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Default Alternator / Drive Belt / Battery Issue

Twice in the last week I have been driving and my dash lights (have had headlights on) faded to the brightness of the low setting and the volt gauge steadily dropped to about 11 volts. The battery light has not come during driving.

Car felt the same drive wise (if I didn't have lights on or a volt gauge I would not have known this happened) and then volts went back up to normal around 14+

Anyone had this happen before or have an idea of what it could be? Possibly battery as the car does take a bit longer to kick over on start up? Maybe have the alternator and battery tested?

Car is due for a service soon and I have to take it to ford : due to some warranty issues that need looking at. Just worried it will be one of those things that will be fine as soon as a mechanic looks for the problem.

Thanks

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
feebs
BrwnBstd

My first guess was going to be the harmonic balancer, but thrn you would notice steering issues too.

So, either a stuffed alternator or buggered battery connections
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
blacklabel

Charging system fault there somewhere-if it's alternator you should be seeing a flickering or constant battery light on your dash.
Seeing as you haven't (yet!), it could be connections or a relay,as suggested.
A loaded and unloaded electrical test should diagnose where the problem lies.
Certainly worth getting a pro to sort it for you-last thing you need is a dead car when you least expect it!
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same problem but the sterring seems fine, I'm going to clean the alternator out tonight and see if the problem persists.

Do Au alternators have a replaceable REGULATOR in them like the Eseriers ones?
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
BillC

I couldn't find one for the XR8. I went to an auto electrical supplyer and a couple of auto electricians as well as googled it on the net. I am not sure about the 6's though. I had to buy the whole alternator in the end and I was lucky to find one for $277. Ford wanted $1097
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote