Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
aussiemart

Default xr8 rebel manual vibration and bad idle

Hey guys i just picked up a very clean au11 xr8 rebel manual ,,it has two problems,,first is it idles rough, sounds like a hot cam.

Second problem is that it got a harsh vibration from about 3 grand and keeps getting worse as the revs climb under load.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers Marty

aussiemart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemart
Hey guys i just picked up a very clean au11 xr8 rebel manual ,,it has two problems,,first is it idles rough, sounds like a hot cam.

Second problem is that it got a harsh vibration from about 3 grand and keeps getting worse as the revs climb under load.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers Marty
Check the leads, make sure they are all working for starters, plugs aswell.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Also check that the Harmonic Balancer is still running true and hasn't developed a wobble, which it seems, is a common fault.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the same engine rough idle thing when i bought my xr8,the bloke i bought it off changed the plugs,leads,fuel pump and airflow meter and still no good lol it would have cost him a fortune to do that,i tried some injector cleaner and took all the leads of and checked them a week later it ran fine,i know a lot of people say injector cleaner is a load of crap i thought the same but it fixed my problem.
Might be worth the $10 to try it
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
aussiemart

Thanks guys,,actualy it idles fine with the a/c on so im thinking somthing to do with the injection,,i know they have a idle air valve to keep idle speed constant so i think this extra air is making it idle ok,,sounds to me like a rich fuel mix at idle.

balancer seems to be running true but ive put a paint line across the pulley then the balancer and the trigger wheel just to see if it moves.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
aussiemart

Default May have found idle prob

Hey guys,,i may have found my rough idle problem on my 220 xr8,,was looking around the inlet manifold and noticed the fuel pressure reg pipe was sitting behind the manifold,, it was attached to the pipe but the pipe is not attached to anything,,does anyone know were this pipe goes? does it point down into the lower manifold or does it go long ways towards the upper plenum.

Thanks for any help Marty.
Old 23-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
aussiemart

Okay the bad idle is fixed found were the pipe went and reinstalled all good.
Old 23-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemart
Okay the bad idle is fixed found were the pipe went and reinstalled all good.
so did that also fix the vibration??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
aussiemart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
so did that also fix the vibration??
Oops sorry i shouldnt have said ALL good,,it just fixed the bad idle.