Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Krakey
love thy ford

Default lame......

well last night me and a few mates went for a little burn around town and after we decided to head off to maccas my mate noticed a puddle of water under my car as i took off. about 10 - 15km later we pulled over because my mate kept flashing his high beams and he said that he saw a puddle under my car when i took off before. Alarms went off and i checked the water levels and it was bone dry! I poured some water in and found a heater hose had burst, so my car had run at least 10 - 15km without water so i called the racv and they came and temorarily fixed it and i am replacing all the hoses today. I'm just hoping that no damage has been done to the engine!

Krakey :togo:

Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Get an Exhaust gass analysis test... same thing as a head gasket test really :P
Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Krakey
love thy ford

was just wondering if the engine has had it would a ba or bf engine fit or would it be too long?

Krakey
Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon at the very least the water pump seal will be pretty second hand, how cold was it last night? and did the cylander shutdown thing happen?, last weekend i had fans out to do harmonic balancer seal to fix an oil leak, only to find out after spending hours getting the harmonic off with an unsuitable pulley remover :( the leak was coming from somewhere else :(, anyway my brother gave a hand to put the fans back in, the next day TOO MY HORROR an audible alarm sounded during a traffic jam caused by a rolled over truck, the temp gauge was in the red but coolant was still full and not boiling (but it must have been close, ........little brother had forgotten to plug the fans in, plugged the fans in and it cooled back to normal in less than a minute, it appears no damage was done, i`m thinking if it was a cold night you might be lucky, Blueprint has the right idea i reckon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

These engines are pretty hard to cook. If it runs on petrol, then the failsafe cooling would have kicked in had it got too hot.

I think you will find that it's OK.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Krakey
love thy ford

this is what i was thinking but does anyone know if the cylinder shutdown runs on an internal censor in the engine or does it run off the thermo?

Krakey
Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
These engines are pretty hard to cook. If it runs on petrol, then the failsafe cooling would have kicked in had it got too hot.

I think you will find that it's OK.
I agree with JC. You'll be right.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakey
was just wondering if the engine has had it would a ba or bf engine fit or would it be too long?

Krakey
will bolt in but needs a bonnet bulge. thats not the drama with a b sreies engine in an earlier model .AFAIK no one has sucseded in getting a b series 6 to run properly in an AU . the wiring and electronics are just not compatible . you can't hook the b series ECU up the the AU bem as the b series uses can bus which is a first in the falcon making communication between the older and newer systems impossible. an Au ECU won't run the dual VCT so that option is out,
maybe an aftermarket ECU will work but it would need to be able to run dual VCT

good luck

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
I poured some water in and found a heater hose had burst, so my car had run at least 10 - 15km without water so i called the racv and they came and temorarily fixed it and i am replacing all the hoses today. I'm just hoping that no damage has been done to the engine!

Krakey :togo:
Good coincidence mate, I burst a heater hose in a car I bought last night as well!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
this is what i was thinking but does anyone know if the cylinder shutdown runs on an internal censor in the engine or does it run off the thermo?

Krakey
It would run off the ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, which drives the temp gauge as well as giving temp to the ECU. Engine itself should be fine due to cylinder shutdown. If the water pump is damaged at all (unlikely IMHO) you can get a Japanese one from Supercheap for 1/3 the price from Ford. You will need a new pulley for it though unless you have the right pulley puller to get the existing one off.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

and have fun getting the pulley off. Auto one sells a pump with pulley attached for $61.00. (or was 2 months ago.)
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or just buy a pump pulley put-er-on-er tool ..ABW make them which is a fairly well priced brand

and the pulleys are cheap as chips
Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from Super Cheap and Repco they have the pulleys on them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
from Super Cheap and Repco they have the pulleys on them.
Supercheap sell with and without pulleys, i was stung with this last time. LOL
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
XR6Stu

You would be surprised how much punishment these motors can take... I reckon you will find it is ok. We had a manual XR6 in at work with a radiator support repair, meaning the radior and ai core had to be taken out, one of the bright spark apprentices started the XR6, and ran off to the paint shed to clear a spot for it to be put into, then got side tracked, and left it running for a good 15 to 25 mins without coolant, and despite getting very warm, and smell like burning metal, it seemed to be pretty right. It is yet to come back due to any motor complaints, which we warned the owner about, and that was a bit over 12 months ago.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just look for a "/WP" after the CWP0000(not correct number) number

indicates its with pulley attached..
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #17
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Krakey
its has a seperate sensor at r/h/r of the cylinder head....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It it called the Cylinder Head temp sensor ... the sensor screws straight into the head (although not into a water gallery). ECT's were done away with at the end of E-series (I think the hybrid engines went to CHT sensors ... as they were literally AU1) ... the old ECTs were mounted in the thermostat housing at the front of the engine.

Did your temp gauge rise at all????

If at night ... the car probably didn't get all that warm anyway.
You would have noticed cylinder shutdown ... it's similar to LHM ... the car would have driven like crap.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post