Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
peewee

Angry AU series 2 front end knocking

I have a 2001 serie 2 Au seden have developed front end knock service centres unable to diagnose problem knock start low speed and goes after getting to 100 anyone with information much appriciated

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

No idea. Sorry
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
COLCAMSport
AU2XR8

Have your lower balljoints pressure filled with grease. Should help.
colcam
COLCAMSport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
sbcb
BA Xr8

AUII XR8 had a low speed knock, annoying inconsistent noise that was the upper ball joint. Once replaced shes as quiet as a mouse, apart from that V8 rumble of course!!

Get a second opinion. If your service centre isn't a ford one take it to one, or if it is a ford service centre, take it to another ford centre (second opinion) - I have found them good at getting to know the AU's in and outs well now.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLCAMSport
Have your lower balljoints pressure filled with grease. Should help.
colcam
How do you do this? Is there a grease nipple, or do you have to force grease in manually?

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

interesting read, my AU sedan is getting this same inconsistant knocking sound, i will get the ball joints looked at
Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
couz^man

yeah ditto with mine
couz^man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
CongoAU2
AYE YOU

mine is a little bit to. i'll check mine.
CongoAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had both my top balljoints replaced under warranty at about 50,000km. At 108,000 another noise has developed which isn't balljoints. Original thought it was something to do with the steering rack, but that was replaced (under warranty) at about 95,000km. I'm suspicious its the swaybar bushings? Anyone else had problems with those?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

I'd suggest spending the 20 odd bucks and replace both your swaybar rubbers, replaced them in my ute, found the old ones to have about 2mm of play. Once replaced found the front end a whole lot quieter but discovered a lot of little rattles that had been covered by the noise
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Hitman
Way over here

Does it happen when on smooth road or only when going over bumps?
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I got a Pedders suspension check done ... and found the driver's side side hub needs replacing ... will get details off the checklist and post it up.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
GTHOXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
How do you do this? Is there a grease nipple, or do you have to force grease in manually?

GK
You have to fit grease nipples your self. I think you can buy them at Repco and they just screw in. I will have a look in the service manual if you need.
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Au2/3 falcons have a differnt sway bar set up 2 au one falcons. THey have little link rods which can have the lightest bit of movement in them and can create a nice amount of noise.. I would get the stab bar d bushes repalced. And un bolt (14mm socket) the link rods of from the lower control arm, see if u can get any movement from them.
THe D bushes are cheap, the link rods are a fair bit dearer.
. Also check the front bush in the lower control arm, these can tear if the lower arm isnt put back in correctly and tensioned when the car is level, this allowes the front part of the lower arm to rattle and move in and out ...
ever way have some fun... and the ball joints have been checked ??? just some ideas for u
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #15
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Had my balljoints done TWICE! The problem was the original grease, wasn't right, so they did a recall, which meant a re-grease. I had that done, but it came back, so they fitted new ball joints. No problems since.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
COLCAMSport
AU2XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
You are in Melb New Oak Service in Caufield has a special tool to do the job.
Colcam
COLCAMSport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLCAMSport
You are in Melb New Oak Service in Caufield has a special tool to do the job.
Colcam
Ok thanks,

Price? Time to do the job?

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post