Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default My pre travelling project

Just thought I'd share my little project of mounting my lights on the wagon with everyone. The lights are Lightforce 240 Blitzs' and I wanted to be able to take them on and off the car quickly and easily on the run if necessary and mount them onto a Smartbar. This presented a couple of problems, not the least of which was there really isn't anywhere on a poly Smartbar to actually mount spotlights. "Just go and get one of those Unibar mounting brackets that fix on behind the number plate", I hear you say; well I looked at them and they have 3 major drawbacks for my liking. Firstly, mounting the 240s' on one of these bars would have the lights close together and basically blocking the grill intake, secondly they'd sit too high for my liking and be out in the breeze too much as well as causing the lights to be in the line of sight where the covers would reflect back at me when the lights are on, and thirdly, and most importantly, when in place they only protrude 50mm from the front of the bar which isn't enough to get the Blitzs' to sit properly without major surgery to the bar, the light mount base or both. So what to do, hmmmmmmm.......... well, after a bit of research and a bit of a think I came up with a custom mount that I had fabricated at the local Metaland outlet out of 5mm aluminium for under $75 which is a very competitive price compared to the Unibars out there where I saw prices ranging from $65 at Kmart to $99 at Repco with the other auto supply places around here somewhere in between. Not only that but it's a damn site stronger than any Unibar I've seen and allows the lights to be mounted lower and wider so as to cause minimal interference to airflow and the headlights plus they're able to be put on and taken off in under a minute with a battery drill or power screwdriver and a spanner with the power leads tucked neatly away in the lower air intake when not in use.

It needs a coat of paint to match the bar I recon but otherwise I'm very happy with it

The number plate is more to cover the gusset and help redirect airflow back into the grill than to be seen as I'll have a sticker made this week that'll locate on the top crossbar so it's easily visible.

The whole thing not including the Blitzs' came to just over $500 bucks so I'm stoked.

Smartbar - $50 (ebay)
freight - $72.50
new mounting kit - $75.00 (old one lost in transit by Star Track: )
replacement 70mm fogs - $125.00 (Old ones broken)
Amber dye for bar lights -$10.00
dash switches -$8.00
auto electrician -$100
assorted bits& pieces - $40
Custom light bracket - $75
---------------------------------
Total $555.50

I do like it when things go right, I'm : : :

Cheers all
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post