Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Scott

Exclamation Donating Member - Why bother?

After reading another thread today I came across this question:
Quote:
What does a donating member get apart from a warm happy feeling inside?
I think it's a fair question and unfortunately I didn't get the chance to respond to it before the thread was wrapped up.

So, what do I donate? How did I come to decide to donate?

I was using this forum initially as a Guest/Visitor and after a couple of years of lurking now and then I decided to join up so I could ask questions and learn a bit more about my specific queries.

It didn't take long for me to realise that I was getting more out of the forum than I had expected and it became a "go to" place for all things Ford. I was getting invited to Dyno Days, Cruises and the like but I was also getting access to some great deals through sponsors and group buys.

My first purchase as a result of this site saved me about $100.00 and I thought it was reasonable that I kick the tin to help keep the site running at its best so that the benefits I had already gained would be there into the future. Call it helping out, call it recognition of a truly great site, call it feeling warm and happy inside - they are all quite apt.

When deciding at what level I should Donate, I chose Gold as it was $50 and half of what I had saved by consulting the forum for info. Seemed fair, it was a bonus for me so I decided to go halves with forum.

Since then, I have saved plenty. One great example was when I needed plugs for the GT. I had found prices upto $35ea!! I looked on the forum, found the Southside Ford offer of "trade for aff members" and gave them a call. IIRC, I paid $18ea and realistically saved more than $100 in plugs alone. I've been back to SSF several times now when hunting bits and the deal has never changed.

The freedom with which people on this site share information is staggering too, jump into panel & paint and ask a question about prepping your car and qualified tradies and great backyarders will give you accurate info for nothing more than thanks.

Ask a question about your new F6 and the blokes who own the fastest ones in the country will tell you exactly what they did AND what they learned along the way.

Thinking of getting or modding a BOSS? The best in the business will help you at no charge and those who've learned a hard lesson will give you the details. Don't forget the T Series fanatics or the X Series walking encyclopedias or the other bazillion niches that are well served here.

Did I mention the thread showing us how to potentially save $10k on a new Ford??

Since becoming a DM, the access to the extra wealth of information available has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars by giving me the tools to get back into doing my own work on the cars (along with the afore mentioned discounts from Sponsors).

The amount of Technical Data available in the DM Area is staggering and every time I look at it I wonder just how many hours were put into getting it all in there. My guess is hundreds and hundreds of hours in that one section.

For me, Donating was a "no brainer", this is the best Ford resource in the country and up there with the best in the world. It saves me money, gives me info, and connects me to like minded people.... I'll happily pay for value like that.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post