Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
XR8AU2121

Default How good is Fordforums!

My AU1 XR8 recently developed a noisy camshaft synchronizer, (the gismo that sits in the slot where the distributor would have been in the older windsors V8s), when the bearing goes it makes a screeching sqeeking sound like a crook belt or shot pully.

After fronting up to the local Ford Dealer the spare parts man looked up the computer and said yes we can supply a replacement no problems that will be $838 plus another $150 for the plastic sensor cap that sits on the top.

Well after getting up off the floor I came home and did a search on Ford Forums for camshaft synchronizers and located a thread by COPEX in Jul 09 on the Winsor section where he had encounted the same problem with his AU V8 LTD and was horrified at the price Ford was asking, but found that a USA parts distributor www.rockauto.com could supply an after market replacement for $40 + shipping. (The 5lt Windsor EFI V8 was used in the US in 99,98,00,01 Ford Explorers and some other models).

After getting on the the website and double checking that the Ford part number was correct, clicked one into the shopping cart, punched in the visa card number, selected what level of Fedex shipping I wanted, and 5 days later the Fedex man knocked on the door with my parcel. Incidentally I was able to track the whereabouts of the shippment on line at every point right up to when it was put on the truck in Sydney for delivery.

TOTAL COST FOR SYNCHRONIZER + SENSOR CAP, SHIPPING AND EXCHANGE RATE CAME TO $83.

After comparing both parts they looked identical(probably from the same factory), but if the $40 replacement part only lasts half as long as the original I am still well in front.

I also noticed that a member on the Explorer Section of the Forum also had the same experience with Ford Australia for the same part for his 6cylinder Explorer with the asking price well over $500 but got his off Ebay for like $39 + shipping.

With new part safely installed (less than an hours work) the motor is now nice and quiet and running like a dream.

So thanks again to the Forum members, it is an invaluable tool for any Ford owner no matter what model they have.

XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post