Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Who here, over the age of 40, thinks they'd pass a driving test?

Well, I thought I'd be ok when I went for a taxi ticket drive around yesterday. I decided NOT to sit down and read through the learners manual, try to remember it all, then get stressed out during the test. I decided I'd be better off staying calm and relaxed so just drive the way I normally drive and just to see how I'd go. A big risk when I paid $100 for the test but I figured if I blew it at least I'd know what to focus on next time.

If I'd been a spotty youf, I'd have failed a driving test dismally, but only on 3 things, although you get a point deducted every time you don't do one of them by the book, and 5 points and you fail. I'd have failed 5 minutes into the test. Thankfully he pulled me over and explained what was expected by the taxi inspectors and I adjusted accordingly.

What would have failed me if I was 18?..... well...

Firstly, my approach to a stop. The rule is, you must check your rear view mirror and indicate your intention before you touch the brake. I tend to use my right door mirror and not my interior rear view mirror to make the check. Years of truck driving got me into this habit as your RV mirror is useless to look behind you. (I used to angle it to check my left side blind spot). This is a fail.

Secondly, right hand turns out of a junction. I tend to swing around in a nice parabolic arc into the middle of the lane, again, a legacy of having to take wide turns in a truck, but also it gives a smoother ride for everyone in the car IMO. FAIL. The rule is, you turn from hard against the centre line to hard against the centre line then drift to the left. There is no way to do this smoothly and not have to tighten the turn up at the last moment so you don't cross the centre line.

Thirdly, the shoulder check.Whenever you change lanes you are required to look over your shoulder to check your blind spot. I only did it when I knew someone was close by. 2 things here, spacial awareness of knowing who's around you at all times by having constantly checked your mirrors, again truck driving teaches you this. So unless someone has magically materialized in your blind spot from another dimension you know nobody is there plus, I can't get my head to turn that far comfortably thanks to an MVA back in 89, so I tend to lean forward while checking the door mirrors which lets me see the blind spots just to be sure. When I know someone is close I do the shoulder check but it hurts my neck.

So did I pass after all that? Well yes I did actually, but not without a couple of other things I need to adjust. The 2 second rule is now the 3 second rule, which I knew, but the instructor said a was still border line on that for him to be totally comfortable. Posture, I tend to rest my elbow on the door, and keeping both hands on the wheel at ALL times.

What saved me I think was he factored in my 35yrs of driving experience, my spacial awareness and the fact I gave him a smooth and relaxing ride that at no time made him nervous being in the car with me.

So what about the rest of you, do you really think you'd pass a driving test if it was sprung on you , or even if you had a weeks notice? Me, I think even knowing what I know now and having been through it I still don't know that I'd ace it on any given day without a complete change of mindset.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post