Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should we introduce resitting license tests?

I had to travel down to my mum's house yesterday to help move some furniture. It's about a 55km journey each way. I started the trip driving out of the Barossa smiling thinking about how much I enjoy going for drives.

That soon changed once I hit the Sturt Highway and then on to Main North Road.

First, came across two P-plate drivers sitting in the right hand lane. One was in the 110km/h zone on the highway and if I'm not mistaken, P-plate drivers are only restricted to 100km/h here in SA, right? So this idiot was sitting in the right lane doing 100 in a 110 zone and not moving across. I just ended up passing him in the left lane.
Further down the road, hit the second P-plate driver sitting in the right hand lane again. This one was also on his phone to add to his misdemeanors!

Pass him on the left again and then hit Main North Road. For those of you that don't know, in some sections this is a 3 lane carriage way, each way. I swear we were doing between 60 - 70 km/h for most of that, all 3 lanes. This is an 80km/h zone. I don't know why this occurred, but there were no accidents down the road or emergency vehicles along the way, so I have no idea why everyone was travelling slow. Once again, if people adhered to the Keep Left Unless Overtaking rule, the traffic would have most likely flowed better along there.

I was quite annoyed with Adelaide drivers by the time I got to my Mum's house, but helped moved her furniture, spent some time there and left for home a few hours later. This was a little after 5pm so I knew the roads would be a bit congested so I was very patient heading back out again. That is until I hit yet another person sitting in the right hand lane doing 100km/h in the 110km/h zone once we hit the highway again.
This person I couldn't get past though as there was another slow car sitting in the left lane, doing the right thing. I ended up having to flash my lights at the guy in the right lane so I could get them to move over so I could get past. Once I went past, they then moved straight back in to the right hand lane behind me.

Why should driving approximately 110kms in a few hours be such an infuriating experience for me? Are we a state of people who drive and are completely oblivious to the rest of the cars that we share the road with?
It got me thinking, what can we do to help change the way people drive to make it easier for everyone?
Do we need to introduce resitting license tests, say every 10 years, so people keep up to date with road rules? Do we need to make it compulsory for drivers to sit defensive driving courses to help improve the way people drive on the roads?

In short, what do we need to do to help improve the driving culture on Australian roads?

Wouldn't the government be better of targeting driving initiatives like this if they are serious about improving driver safety and reducing the road toll?