Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Arcade heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The first PC (clone) I had only ran DOS (it was prior to windows).
You had to know your commands, or have a simple menu program like Xtree.

The # 1 pirate command: copy a: *.* b: (when you had 2 floppy drives).
Copy protection? What protection?

I still wonder how I ever thought a 10Mb hard drive was big. It held the equivalent of 25-30x 5.25" floppies! I made a slide hammer with the splindle out of that drive - because it was a double-height drive, the spindle was a cylinder of steel around 100mm high x 40mm diameter, with a 10mm hole down the guts. Nice & solid.

The turbo button on them was interesting - it actually worked in reverse (ie with turbo on it ran at its rated speed, and when turbo was off it slowed it down. Was a good cheat mode for games that relied on the processor clock speed, and slowed down as well.

Do you remember the early "rubber cup" modems for the old dial phones?

I bought the little Sega genesis classic thing a while back - never realised how woesful the graphics on Alex Kidd were.... and Sonic isn't much better.

I still own a Super Nintendo & dozens of games, buried somewhere in the garage, so I bought the mini when it came out a few months back. Mario Kart brings back some memories!
Would trade all the modern conveniences like wifi, smartphone, online shopping etc to have all of that back, those were the days. Simple, stable and built to last. All the modern overcomplicated tech has gotten so unreliable and with the built in redundancy where they don't last beyond the warranty period, it's all just a big rort..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post