Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default History of Aus Petrol octane

Anyone know the facts of Australia's history of petrol octane ratings.

Just off the cuff.
By the looks of Holden from 1949 compression being 6.5:1 and they ran on Standard fuel and no Holden ran on Super fuel until the red motor in late 1963 with 8.8:1 high compression and the low compression 149 was 7.8:1 running Standard fuel.
So this points to the ratings came up as the years went by, not to mention the last of the grey motors had gone up to 7.2:1 by 1960.

Then we see in 1971 the HQ Holden has a low compression 173 with a whopping 8.3:1 on Standard fuel.

Valiant Slant 6 had 8.2:1 did they all run on standard, the last VF Pacer I seen claimed at 9.2:1 this maybe true ? but the VE slant 6 with 2v caby were still 8.3:1

XK to XP 144 low comp was 7.5:1 and high comp were up to 8.7:1 and the XR Falcon 200 had 9.2:1 but the 1967 XR GT was 9.7:1 I think. then the 1971 XY GT is 11:1 and the 1970 HT 350GTS 10.25:1

I only remember Standard rated at 89 and Super at 97 Octane I believe.
Then we got that crap unleaded at 91 or sometimes rated at 92 but I do not remember when the 95 Octane came in, or 95 was not Australia wide at first.

I remember a low lead fuel or half lead came out as well in about 1989 if I remember right and I do not remember the Octane of it, it may not of been displayed, it may of been 95 or so maybe I tried it once in my HX 308 and it was fine.

Everyone I have asked has not a clue of such things. how can we just let such as our History be washed away.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post