Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Gibbering Fool
Starter Motor

Default Central locking "feedback" problem

Hi, I've had a few dramas with my central locking. Issues with the actuators. First the back lefthand dorr then the right too.

An auto electrician told me the motors in those two were gone and would need to be replaced. He also told me though, that the front two were having "feedback" problems and would need to be replaced or else they would cause the back one's to stuff up even if I replaced them. That sounded kind of suss so I bought four actuators from the wreckers for cheap rather than new ones. He installed them for me but the drivers door actuator I got was faulty and now it won't lock.

What I want to know is has anyone heard of this feedback problem? Because i plan to remove the broken actuator I bought and replace it with the original, which was locking fine in the first place. If there is such thing as a feedback issue I'd like to know so I don't waste my time.

Gibbering Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Robe

Smile

Have not heard of "feedback" in locks.

If you look back in this Forum you will see that most of the locking problems are due to the plastic gear shafts breaking.

Lock sets are RH and LH, but it is not hard to pull them apart. Keep all the bits. When required swap the busted cogs for OK ones.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go somewhere else get the job done without being riped of then go back and tell the first bloke what a rip off he is
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

What i dont get is people saying that with 1 actuator fault, you generally need to replace the lot... damn... i cant use my remote locking... i press the button and all the actuators go nuts, use the door lock and they lock... inside the car when opening a door, the locks go nuts again... I have no idea whats going.
Old 14-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Gibbering Fool
Starter Motor

I ended up buying some actuators on the cheap from the wreckers and got them replaced. I then took apart the driver's door actuator (labelled RF - right front) and found that the gear inside was broken. The passenger side gear wasn't broken though. The thing is the driver's door was still locking, so what I want to know is if you use a key in the lock of an actuator with a broken gear should it still lock? Also, if its gear is broken does that mean it will screw up the other three locks?
Gibbering Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe
Have not heard of "feedback" in locks.
The locks can tell the BEM what state they are in - locked or unlocked. That's feedback.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
csajjj
Starter Motor

csajjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
csajjj
Starter Motor

I had a problem last week after I realised the back drivers door wasnt locking. I took apart the door and singled the problem to the actuator (small black box). I opened it up and found that the gear inside was broken. I drilled a small pilot hole through the gear and inserted a thin screw which held it together quite well. But it still didnt work because the join causing a rough surface on the thread and was getting the little plastic 'nut thing' (which rotates around the gear) stuck. What I did then was use a lighter to heat up the join and soften the plastic, then rotated the 'nut thing' back and foward over the join. I done this numerous times until the thread looked as good as new and then used a mini file to file down any excess plastic. It seriously ended up look like a new gear minus the dicolouration and seemed to be quite strong with the srew reiforcement. I put the actuator back togeter and the door and now everythig works fine. Cost me nothing just a bit of time...
csajjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post