Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question A-Pillar Gauge Holder For AU Falcon

I was looking at chucking in some gauges to my AU XR8 and was wondering if anyone has or knows if it is possible to mount an A-Pillar gauge holder into an AU Falcon. It will come into handy as when i take the car to the track i can keep a close eye of whats going on under the bonnet. I was looking at something like this without all the carbon fibre rice look.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-Hole-Gauge-...QQcmdZViewItem
I Will be looking for one that is all black and will have some auto meter gauges in it to make it look less jap. Anyone have any ideas?

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

I would be checking as to what angle the gauges sit in the cups once on your pillar. as they may sit too flat- (hard to read). Would have to be made for a car with similar angles as falcon A pillar.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

As far as I know, they are against the law anyway.

You aren't interested in the gauge holder available that sits under the ashtray?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah im not really interested in the gauge holder that sits under the ashtray because it is not in the line of sight when you are driving. I want to have a close eye of the readings and i will be having more then 2 gauges so that type is not suitable for me. I might go down to supercheap and see if it will fit and have the gauges pointing in the right direction.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistedXR
Nah im not really interested in the gauge holder that sits under the ashtray because it is not in the line of sight when you are driving. I want to have a close eye of the readings and i will be having more then 2 gauges so that type is not suitable for me. I might go down to supercheap and see if it will fit and have the gauges pointing in the right direction.
Make sure you let us know how you go, if it fits it may solve my problem.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Here are the two gauges i have put onto my pillar, im not a big fan of the pod holders i was happier to have to autometer brackets and im happy with the result. I had three but it was too hard to get the third up above to run inline with the bottom two.. hence my new autometer air/fuel ratio gauge for sale :hihi: Sorry for the average camera phone pic

RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
JoesAu

You aren't interested in the gauge holder available that sits under the ashtray?[/QUOTE]

I am
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
aye you
The Origional, The Best

afaik, A piller mounted gauges are illegal? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Blacklisted XR, i undertstand you you want to mount them there though, let us know how u go
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
RUKIDN

Im under the knowledge that your able to mount anything on your pillar as long as its no higher than 30cm from the base.
Either way its not really a big concern for me.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

In NSW at least, the pillar mounted ones are illegal. I have sold them to guys at work (ricerbarn have them) who are still driving round with them, but its only going to take one cop to not like them and you will be done for them.

Personally I hate them and think they look terrible, I would rather have the ashtray ones. I just reckon the pillar mounted ones are too "in your face".
Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
sly
Sly like a G6

So no-one does a centre-dash pod for the AU?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heaps of my mates and people i know here in WA who own WRXs and skylines have gauges mounted on the pillar and they never get troubled for it. Im not sure if they are illegal in Perth but like i said ive seen quite a few cars with them and the cops dont seem to mind. Do you have any pics of your setup B2tf? The reason im going with that sort of setup is that i want it to be in my face so that i dont have to look away to see how everything is performing and on my mates cars it actually looks quite good and sporty. Really sets off the interior i reckon. If it doesnt look good i might just go for a setup like RUKIDN.

AU3 Fairmont I6

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistedXR
Heaps of my mates and people i know here in WA who own WRXs and skylines have gauges mounted on the pillar and they never get troubled for it. Im not sure if they are illegal in Perth but like i said ive seen quite a few cars with them and the cops dont seem to mind. Do you have any pics of your setup B2tf? The reason im going with that sort of setup is that i want it to be in my face so that i dont have to look away to see how everything is performing and on my mates cars it actually looks quite good and sporty. Really sets off the interior i reckon. If it doesnt look good i might just go for a setup like RUKIDN.
I don't have them in my car mate but I will see if I can get some pics of them and a copy of the brochure at work on Friday.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
RUKIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
its only going to take one cop to not like them and you will be done for them.
I totally agree with you b2tf, it can only take one cop and he will probly grill me too lol I think we have all experienced good cops and the bad ones...
So far though they have been there for a month or two i think and had no issues, i have had several police cars pass me by and havent recieved any troubles.
Its always been a regular question that i dont think has ever been 100% answered in regards on pillar gauges.. 9 out of 10 people would say illegal but unfortunatly knowone actually states that they 'actually' know they are... i went of the information with the 30cm rule (came across after surfing the forums on the topic) but im not at all stating to everyone that its 100% correct though.

cheers
chris

Last edited by RUKIDN; 11-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pm Grunter, from what I remember he has his gauges in a pillar mount/pod.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post