Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
phoenix99

Default duped!!

Well the story goes I signed up to a site for software downloads. It said the inital fee is $5 for a 3 day trial so I thought why not. Once I paid I get an email saying I will be charged $30 every 30 days so I thought I would download the software and cancel my subscription.

Well, onced signed up the software no longer exists!!did a google search and seems people are being screwed by the website and charged $100's of dollars on their cred card.

I have a debit mastercard so I am thinking I am just going to have to cancel it. How do I go about cancelling the card??? do i just go into westpac and explain all this?

Before you guys call be an idiot for paying and downloading, I have done it before and have had no issues (different site though obviously)

downloadnova.com=:

cheers

phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
Well the story goes I signed up to a site for software downloads. It said the inital fee is $5 for a 3 day trial so I thought why not. Once I paid I get an email saying I will be charged $30 every 30 days so I thought I would download the software and cancel my subscription.

Well, onced signed up the software no longer exists!!did a google search and seems people are being screwed by the website and charged $100's of dollars on their cred card.

I have a debit mastercard so I am thinking I am just going to have to cancel it. How do I go about cancelling the card??? do i just go into westpac and explain all this?

Before you guys call be an idiot for paying and downloading, I have done it before and have had no issues (different site though obviously)

cheers
Go to Westpac and say the card has been lost or stolen. They will cancel it and issue a new card with a new number and the old card number will be null and void and can not be used
Goodluck in this - you will need it
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF XR8
Go to Westpac and say the card has been lost or stolen. They will cancel it and issue a new card with a new number and the old card number will be null and void and can not be used
Goodluck in this - you will need it

that wont work either because what will happen is any drawings will be directed to the new card number.

contact teh bank though and explain the situation. you'll probably have to show that you made attempt to cancel with the merchant or sow they are dodgy. With any luck, they may already be know to the banks as a dodgy merchant.

Not sure how the internet purchases work these days, but use to be any mail / internet order debits have a 6 mths chargeback.

Anyways, enuff rambling, 1st thing to do is contact the bank. Cancelling teh card will not stop the drawings.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo2005
that wont work either because what will happen is any drawings will be directed to the new card number.

contact teh bank though and explain the situation. you'll probably have to show that you made attempt to cancel with the merchant or sow they are dodgy. With any luck, they may already be know to the banks as a dodgy merchant.

Not sure how the internet purchases work these days, but use to be any mail / internet order debits have a 6 mths chargeback.

Anyways, enuff rambling, 1st thing to do is contact the bank. Cancelling teh card will not stop the drawings.
so what happens if someone nicks your card and signs up to some site, the fee will be redirected to your new card?

whats the point in cancelling it then :
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
phoenix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
so what happens if someone nicks your card and signs up to some site, the fee will be redirected to your new card?

whats the point in cancelling it then :
Thats what I thought!!
Old 13-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Isn't there an emergency contact number with card issues for each bank?
I'd be looking into it and getting in contact with your bank as soon as possible.
At least try to get a hold put on the transaction until it can be investigated.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
phoenix99

I get charged the recurring payments after my "3 day trial" which started 2 hrs ago so I will cancel it first thing tommorrow face to face at westpac.

Plus being a debit mastercard I transferred my money out but i might get overdrawn i guess.

Should I bother explaining my situation or just tell them I lost the card?
Old 13-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be explaining the situation. I would imagine they would be able to block the "company from withdrawing funds. If not, cut it in half in front of them and tell them you lost it.
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

When you call up and cancel your card, you need to give the last transaction that you made on the card. So Simply make that the transaction before this one and you should be.

Any drawing after that transaction will be void, any before will stand.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post