Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bingle Insurance-interesting discovery

Anyone renewing or considering insuring with Bingle may find this helpful.
My wife is insured with Bingle and I upgraded her car this week so I logged onto their website to amend the vehicle details.When I did so I was informed that I would need to pay an extra $60 odd to insure the new car.
Stuff that,I thought,so I went back in and got a quote as a new customer to see if it would be any different.
One of the questions they ask is who is your current insurer and they give you a drop down menu to select from.For no particular reason I picked Coles Insurance and the quote came out less than what she was paying on her old car.No other details differed from what I put in to change the car on her existing policy,just the current insurer.I then had a play around with most of the insurers on their list and found premium differences of up to $90 depending on who you told them you were currently insured with.
It seems that they offer a much better price to customers of their closest marketplace competitors than to their own existing customers.
Even when I put in Suncorp,which owns Bingle,as the current insurer I got one of the highest quoted premiums.
I don't know if any other insurers play this game but it may be worth having a dig before you cough up.

Old 15-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bingle Insurance-interesting discovery

yep, if they already have you on the line as a customer, they figure you'll just cough up again and won't give you a chop out.

You'd think loyalty would be better rewarded...

not in this day and age.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

AAMI does that. Been like that for some years. A few years ago, a work colleague's insurance was up for renewal and was much dearer than the previous year. I suggested he got an online quote which he did and it was $180 cheaper. So he rang them up and took out an new policy using that quote.

Last year I queried this when my wifes AAMI insurance came for renewal and was considerably dearer, I managed to get a helpful advisor who worked out a way of reducing it, and was cheaper again this year.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Be careful with the generic quote you get online, if you decide to go ahead the quote will most likely increase as you fill in more precise details & usually new customers will get a discount for joining only (once off) but upon renewal it will jump up.

You are better off ringing the insurer for an accurate quote.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
What? And trust that new fangled telemebob? No better off hitching up the wagon and riding into town.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's cute to see this thread.

It's called Competitive Pricing

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Be careful with the generic quote you get online, if you decide to go ahead the quote will most likely increase as you fill in more precise details & usually new customers will get a discount for joining only (once off) but upon renewal it will jump up.

Problem then is you miss out on the online discount many offer.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I have seen the same with Aami. The Rangers renewal was double that on the previous year so I did the online quote and every address in the street was half the price. Drop in our address and the price doubles. Maybe my house is of a high meteor risk or something.
Anyways changed and the got a better price. It appears good deals with Aami have dried up with Suncorp taking them over and their pricing seems to have been bought into line.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I change insurers each couple of years for this very reason. The last few changes have been a flip-flop between NRMA and GIO.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
On past occasions I have taken a print of the "online discounted quote" into an insurers outlet and paid over the counter. They haven't knocked me back and asked me to pay extra as yet.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Not really, you can quote the online reference number you got but then again understand the online conditions they impose on you.

In other words understand the fine print, excesses, conditions imposed on you & pay out figures etc, you only get what you pay for!

Last edited by Itsme; 16-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
charlie200
please insert coins

Another trick I do with aami is that their premium is based off the value of the car in $1000 blocks, so insuring a car for $25,999 is the same premium as $25,000
Old 16-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There very little or no reward for being loyal when it comes to insurance. It pays to shop around when renewal time comes along.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Bosko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, Suncorp Banking owns AAMI, Bingle and a few others as well! This probably explains a few things!

Previous
1973 XB GT Coupe 351 4V, 4spd Top Loader and 9" Diff
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd been with AAMI (4 cars) for a few years as I was pretty happy with their pricing then 2 years ago they started playing silly buggers. They would quote a price verbally on the phone but the paperwork which followed was different (dearer of course).
I took them to task and they swore black and blue that I must have misheard.
Anyhow, I started recording the phone calls and got other quotes and was able to quote verbatim what was said. They started back pedalling and apologising. I ended up firing both barrels at them when the basically pleaded with me to stay. I'm now with RACQ.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, scroll down and watch the vid titled "Lazy Tax"

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/clips/
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
On past occasions I have taken a print of the "online discounted quote" into an insurers outlet and paid over the counter.
Why? Was your Carrier Pigeon sick that day?
Old 19-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
sleek7

A colleague of mine had his 2013 Aurion up for renewal with AAMI a few weeks ago, came in more expensive than last time. I told him to get some online quotes with different companies and sure enough they came in cheaper (one was close to $300 cheaper) but instead of jumping ship he rang up AAMI and told them that company X would insure him for $300 less and immediately they said oh we can give you a discount, just let me see if my supervisor will approve this...and sure enough they matched the price.

Loyalty counts for zip with insurance companies, much like banks and utility companies. It really does pay to shop around.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
rjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
Guys, Suncorp Banking owns AAMI, Bingle and a few others as well! This probably explains a few things!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suncorp_Group

Quote:
Suncorp also owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia, and Vero, Asteron, Guardian Trust, Tyndall, Vero Marine, Vero Liability, AA Insurance, SIS, CMV/AXIOM, Mariner, Comprehensive Travel Insurance and Autosure brands in New Zealand.
I got an internet quote off the RACQ about a month ago on my car ... you can list any mods in there ... at the end they give you a quote with a reference number [you print it off] and you can ring them up and use the number/quote for a month.
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been with he same insurer for 15 years and have all our polices with them: home, contents, cars and bike. Every year I get the renewal statement with the standard increase, I ring them complain about it and they reduce it. Every now and then I'll compare prices with other insurers. I recently had to take out insurance on my sons car, having just recently got his L's, got a quote from Budget Direct which was about $300.00 less that my insurer, rang my insurer and they said they would match that price. Sometimes loyality has it's benefits.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last week my brother went in to pay a new rego at the NSW RMS for his caravan, he had the blue slip and went to the RMS, they told him he needs a greenslip for the caravan, he insisted he didn't and asked for the manager and he wasn't available and he was told to got to the NRMA office around the corner, armed with his mother inlaws credit card he said ok and went to NRMA, then after explaining his side NRMA said we can sell you a greenslip for $680....WTF
why would he pay $680 for a greenslip on a trailer towed by a car that already has a greenslip?
so after not wanting to pay $680 he went back to RMS got anther ticket and after 3 hours stuffing around got another person and they took the blueslip and gave him fresh rego papers....some people are retarded
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry for the long story i just wanted to say NRMA would happily sell a greenslip when its not required...
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

hahahaha I'm looking at insurance, got a quote online from RACV and AAMI around $1600....I'm 26 with no claims and am still ****y at that price, especially since my mate a block over can get a holden gts for $900 insured and hes 2 years younger.....Anyways Bingle wanted $3600 for full comp and $1500 for Third Party.

Long story short I'm going third party, can't do the price of comp for myself at the moment, its just crazy.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think anyone will ever fully understand insurance. A bit like women I think.
Old 20-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Yep, scroll down and watch the vid titled "Lazy Tax"

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/clips/
Yeah I seen this. Doesn't work with RACV as if I was a new customer it would be $150 cheaper. Just waiting for the wife to turn 30 and then insurance drops about $300-400.
Old 20-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Wish my wife was only 29 lol
Seriously though if insurance companies already have you bent over they will just bend you over further...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
Hell Cat

My aami home insurance has jumped by $160 each year for the past 3 years. I call up each time and they only take $15 off.
Never made a claim (even though i have needed too but didnt because i thought it would keep my premiums down)

Next year i will shop around. Aami insist they have the best coverage. (Cover all expenses for house replacement if it ever burns down etc & will rebuild it exactly the same) our house is a pretty unique old house so i wouldnt want it replaced with a generic house.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post