Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Taking our Icon cars for granted

Like most of you I have been brought up with the traditional aussie icon. A Sedan with big lazy 6 or 8 out front. That was the norm it seems, until about a decade ago.

Before you ask…..i started out with valiant 6, that car got cleaned up, (some kid went through stop sign). then came an XE Fairmont, followed by Calais VL. That got smashed to pieces (my fault) so I had to settle for a corolla for a decade, as I couldn’t afford a proper car. I bought a jet ski so I needed a big car again. Finally got a VE commodore. My dad died not long after and inherited his EA 4speed auto. I used that as my tow monkey for the ski, as it did it easier than the VE!! So I had my fair share of lazy big aussie sedans.

To then buy a Holden Cruze with 1.8 auto was my last chance to get a new car with unbelievable trade in for VE. I tried Ford and they offered peanuts for VE.
The cruze…..although reliable to date, is the only car I driven with factory turbo lag, but with a normal aspirated engine!!! People used to laugh about starfire sunbird, but this is worse. So I bought a big 3 seater jet ski a few weeks ago. The cruze has a tow bar and I took it the first week. It’s a 90km trip through Adelaide hills and its roller coaster most of the way, not dead flat as in the north. I had to coax it all the way so the the engine was on the boil but not over rev it, keeping an eye on the temp guage. 1.8 4cyl, in a 1400kg car is not a good idea.

For our second trip, 2 Saturdays ago, my son was going to join us and rolled up to my house that Friday night, with a car he picked up for $1000.00, minutes before hand. (he buys old cars every 6 months) a 250,000km AU fairlane ghia….
It had a towbar!

Not in a million years would I suggest talking a totally unknown car up the river, towing, in 35 deg up hills, in the first 12 hours of ownership…..but he suggested it.

Checked the oil, coolant, power steering, hooked it up and away we went. With the tickford motor up front, I had to remember to only use 2mm of throttle, not 2 cms like in the Cruze. The temp gauge settled on sitting between N and O in NORMAL, for the whole day and did not budge, even on way back when it was 35 degrees in late afternoon. It pulled the ski out the water using .5mm of throttle and didn’t miss a beat all day. This with 250,000kms on the clock and 12 hours old in the family.

After this example of what I missed, a big ballsy aussie sedan, instead of driving a toy, I am now in market for FG XR6. I cant wait to get a real car again.

An Aussie ICON.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

Default Re: Taking our Icon cars for granted

I agree completely, unless you have an SUV, or 4wd, your up the creek for towing or heavy work, we will miss them when they're gone
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

So moral of the story is "Do not tow with toy cars!"
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be fair a jet ski normally weights less than 500kg even the Daewoo should be able to manage.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
To be fair a jet ski normally weights less than 500kg even the Daewoo should be able to manage.
My Ultra comes in at 423 kg plus 180 for trailer then add the 78 litres fuel and its quite an effort over rolling hills, with a small car. doable, but not comfortable.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Au fairlane Ghia/$1000, I'm jealous! Sounds like a keeper for your son.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

As a kid dad had the 95 family staple, an ef wagon, grandpa had an eb v8 fairmont, and my aunty an ea gl wagon. I miss the days of a full size wagon, my brother currently has an ed fairmont wags, and there isn't much you can't fit in the back. With the 1600 odd on trailer weight of my boat I much rather tow with the lazy bf then the other cars i have pulled the rig with have been a v8 vq caprice (broke down, no lie) cx9 mazda (better suspension, but not as torquey down low and alot busier), and a ml320 Benz (just weak). The bf 6 just suits better.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be fair to most cars, the Cruze is bloody awful.

A woman I worked with had one, and their kids had to get out at the bottom of the driveway when they got home. Car couldn't do it with 3 kids in the back. They got rid of it pretty quick.

Brother's gf had one, and also couldn't get rid of it quick enough.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post
My Ultra comes in at 423 kg plus 180 for trailer then add the 78 litres fuel and its quite an effort over rolling hills, with a small car. doable, but not comfortable.

Makes sense to be fair the Cruise is Corolla sized. not surprisingly the old Falcon easily out performs it.

You should have no troubles towing 680KG with a Mondeo or similar sized car. The FGXR6 your looking into wont even feel it on the back.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course the thing has crap power, the Family 1 1.8 lt engine dates back to the early 80s, it was dated when it appeared in the 90s in Opel Astras, it's still in use today for 3 reasons:
1-cost
2-cost
3-cost

I have the misfortune of steering one of these daily, my first Cruze was the turbo petrol which was designed this decade, and with the independent rear was a nice drive.
My current 1.8 is just soo dull, noisy and less economical than the turbo.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With no ‘benchmark’ Aussie cars to compare others with, the hole being left by our Falcadores will really hit hard in a few years time when we are looking for a replacement. I predict that our choices will be.....

Small affordable cars will be Chinese origin, to fill the gap as Jap and Korean cars move upmarket, with ever increasing purchase prices.
SUVs will be cheaply Asian sourced Euro, Yank, and other Asian varieties, but premium priced, with more emphasis on connectivity, driver aids, hybrids, and other must have requirements for the urban jungle, but not the wide brown land.
Medium sedans ? See above.
Want a larger RWD sedan ? Your choice of over-priced, over-hyped, high maintenance BMWs, Mercs, and Jags. Kia may be the lifeline for Aussies, but world demand will determine the bottom line for us.
A high performance ute ? With a V8 ? In your dreams. High riding, big wheeled Yank look-alikes with small turbo diesels that will pull a stump out, but fall over if pushed at the twisty bits.
Want to tour the wide brown land ? See above.

End result ........ Boring as ! The multi-national sheeple have decided our future .... so hang on to your icons.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

^^ cool story bro
Old 31-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ira you are correct with what the choices will be. Can't see why you earned that overused internet meme 'cool story bro'.

At present there are some of the last gutsy Aussie 6's in FG and Terry guise near-new at bargain prices... shedding a couple is always an option if you like them.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Those old falcons are great.
Drove back today from Sydney to Wang in Victoria with the just bought $1100 XF panel van loaded with junk and a 400kg packaged truck crane. Lumbered along at 110 all the way without a problem.
I reckon we need to get these stickers remade.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Drove back today from Sydney to Wang in Victoria with the just bought $1100 XF panel van loaded with junk and a 400kg packaged truck crane. Lumbered along at 110 all the way without a problem.

I agree. I'd stick one even on the ranger. Definately on the fairmont ghia and g6
Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Built with pride by the people of Thailand
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #17
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's the marketing angle that would prob have been the only thing that could have saved local manufacturing of cars

One of two things cause people to not place any value in buying local

1. Don't understand
2. Don't care

Those stickers and a marketing campaign could have reconciled no. 1

And then time would have shown the impact of number 2

Gone now, so we'll never know
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #18
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/gr...ntry-of-origin

This should amended to labour and materials and then applied to all goods and services sold in this county.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Falcon is the only reason I bought Fords. Currently nothing interests me in their range that would suit my needs.

Looked at a ranger but I would have gone triton cause these pick ups are overpriced.

Sad that kia has now made me more interested in their car.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #20
chizzy86

Those Cruzes really are junk tho. Even my Mum (mid 60's, drives pretty gently, gets massive kms out of tyres, brake pads etc, has zero interest in cars) commented on how gutless one was when she rented one.
chizzy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Managed to get a few of these on ebay a year or so ago, have one proudly stuck on the rear windows of my RTV and FGX XR8 keepers.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
^^ cool story bro
**** off anchor. Cool contribution. Bro.

Anyway.
Our icons were slagged to death. Wahhh wahh taxi guzzling rusty cheap made crap they said.

Now we have small engined bulky bodied but small inside cars built to a budget. Fwd i might add for those who care. Yep they dont rust much. People alternativly seek refuge in dual cabs if they dont want to pick from the fleet of Camryrollas that make up our entire market. They are the only things left with torque and rwd with a decent wheelbase. Except for the Hyundai Genesis but we miss out on the V8 option here for whatever reason (and its priced $60k to $80k). Not quite the same but a last resort if you can live with a v6.

I went for a spin down to the boat ramp yesterday. First time ive seen it super busy, the carpark was full. I spotted only one FG ute picking up a boat. Everything else was a mix of 4x4 and dual cabs. People are under the impression that you need either of those to do anything but go to the shops in. Somehow everybody forgot about fuel consumption which was a hate for Falcon (for some reason?? Theyre prefectly good for what they are). Cars are heavier now, consumption hasnt changed. Tyres are larger and thinner and cost more, small things add up to being more than what a Falcon cost. Dont get the logic. I dont hear anybody but me really bagging out our current market. Which makes me the bad guy boo hoo.

Rewind 20 years, if you wanted to do ANYTHING, youd buy a Falcon. School run, shopping, racing, offroading, cruising, weddings oh man you name it it was made for it and did it well. Nowadays god forbid one should do things with a Falcon. Its almost frowned apon.

Ive said it before, long live our Aussie Fords. There will be nothing like them ever again and whoever has one should cherish and preserve it.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #23
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

Anyway.
Our icons were slagged to death. Wahhh wahh taxi guzzling rusty cheap made crap they said.

Now we have small engined bulky bodied but small inside cars built to a budget. Fwd i might add for those who care. Yep they dont rust much. People alternativly seek refuge in dual cabs if they dont want to pick from the fleet of Camryrollas that make up our entire market. They are the only things left with torque and rwd with a decent wheelbase. Except for the Hyundai Genesis but we miss out on the V8 option here for whatever reason (and its priced $60k to $80k). Not quite the same but a last resort if you can live with a v6.

I went for a spin down to the boat ramp yesterday. First time ive seen it super busy, the carpark was full. I spotted only one FG ute picking up a boat. Everything else was a mix of 4x4 and dual cabs. People are under the impression that you need either of those to do anything but go to the shops in. Somehow everybody forgot about fuel consumption which was a hate for Falcon (for some reason?? Theyre prefectly good for what they are). Cars are heavier now, consumption hasnt changed. Tyres are larger and thinner and cost more, small things add up to being more than what a Falcon cost. Dont get the logic. I dont hear anybody but me really bagging out our current market. Which makes me the bad guy boo hoo.

Rewind 20 years, if you wanted to do ANYTHING, youd buy a Falcon. School run, shopping, racing, offroading, cruising, weddings oh man you name it it was made for it and did it well. Nowadays god forbid one should do things with a Falcon. Its almost frowned apon.

Ive said it before, long live our Aussie Fords. There will be nothing like them ever again and whoever has one should cherish and preserve it.
Is it bad that after reading that I agree? It's a mixed up world out there
Old 02-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #24
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

Anyway.

Oh boo hoo. if you miss them that much, why didn't you and the rest of you lot buy them when they were on sale? Judging by your list of cars (if it is up to date), the latest one you bought is from 1997. So, instead of sooking about the cars now and those that buy them, why didn't you (and other) put your money where your trap is and actually buy a new Falcon?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I agree. I'd stick one even on the ranger. Definately on the fairmont ghia and g6
Umm. You do know where your beloved Ford Ranger is made , right...?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #26
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Umm. You do know where your beloved Ford Ranger is made , right...?
Thailand
Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Oh boo hoo. if you miss them that much, why didn't you and the rest of you lot buy them when they were on sale? Judging by your list of cars (if it is up to date), the latest one you bought is from 1997. So, instead of sooking about the cars now and those that buy them, why didn't you (and other) put your money where your trap is and actually buy a new Falcon?
^^ cool story bro

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #28
Kicking back

https://youtu.be/MJPzQmfFZMU talk about hindsight, I reckon this is the least bias falcon related vid ever. I agree on most topics, but it's no bf...