Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Sweet_EL_

Default any suggestions??

ok ok, I'm since I'm coming up to a da big 160 mark, and well b going to get a full once over...

so since it going under the knife so to speak. I was thinking of dropping in a cam... but I don't want to go too silly with it...

so what would you reconmend, and/or is there something else I should do? and I was also think of getting a Megasquirt 2 ECU as well...

so what do u think??

Sweet_EL_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Sweet_EL_

Yeah I was ment to ask what cam you would reccomend??

oh also another thing... I do alot of traviling and fuel pricing is killing me. So I was wonder is there is any thing I can do to improve fuel eco?? eg changeing the trannie to a manuel?? is there 6 speed that fits in the EL??
Old 26-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

just a touque cam would be pretty good i'de think.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
evlelf
Banned

Mate, If your going to change your ECU i wouldn't sugest getting something cheap.. Megasquirts would have to be 1 of the very cheap ECU's.

A cam sounds good, But go somthing your dyno tuner ( if u have 1 ) like's to tune other wise it's going to be a hassle getting some1 to tune it good a proper..

Thats my opinion.

EVL-ELF>
evlelf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6spd conversion will probably cost $4-6000. A T5 would only be about $1200-1500 conversion.

Heaps of places make cams for I6 these days wade, jmm, RPD etc to suit what your after.

Dont know much about the megasquirt but im assuming with a good tune it should approve fuel economy.

But saying that your after more performance which usually means less economy, theres not really much you can do about economy the biggest factor would be to adjust your driving style.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
Sweet_EL_

yeah I know that my driving style has alot to do with with fuel eco, but when your sitting on a feeway 4 about 8 hours, there not much driving style there. I do this trip about 1 or 2 times a month. so I would like to get there and not have to fill up on the way...

ok i'll hav 2 hav a talk to a dyno tuner about ecu's n stuff.

as for the cam, i just want a little more of kick...
Old 28-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Sweet_EL_

I just had a quick talk with my mac. n he was saying that is not worh putting a cam in... It's top much hassel with getting it to run, idel and the relyableity isn't any good.

What do u guys think???
Old 28-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

if your getting a after market computer the idle of the cam would be fixed by the computer. have a look at www.crowcams.com.au i went a huge 2222543 but for yourself i'de go a torque cam or stage 1 or 2.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_EL
I just had a quick talk with my mac. n he was saying that is not worh putting a cam in... It's top much hassel with getting it to run, idel and the relyableity isn't any good.

What do u guys think???
He knows nothing... ??

You can get cams suitable for both autos and manuals to use the factory computer. i.e. Wade 1004-112 and -114, DEV cams (although some will need heavy duty valve springs etc)..

I myself had a Wade 1004-114 with stock ECU in my auto ED and it ran and idled fine. There was big pick-up from about 3k rpm. The other stockish EBs and EDs I raced noticed

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Sweet_EL_

I've had a qiuck look on net at a few cams. These are the cams I've got it down too. just wonder if theres any pros/cons about em which i should know... Also what the average power increase would be, as not all the sites say..

JMM
DEV 3 CAM

ALTEDPERFORMANCE
Stage 2

Wade Cam
1004-114

Crow Cams
2232549 or 2222519

I'm leaning toward the wade cam as I notice that the ppl who have this cam seem to be pleased with the difference..

Also as this would the limit of mods I will be doing to this car... Would it b worth getting a unichip or would something like do megasquart2??
Old 30-04-2006, 02:43 AM   #11
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

try a k&n and a full exhaust with extractors, weight reductions if your after fuel saving stuff
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 04:13 AM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlelf
Mate, If your going to change your ECU i wouldn't sugest getting something cheap.. Megasquirts would have to be 1 of the very cheap ECU's.

EVL-ELF>
I think that completely depends on your experience.
they may be cheap, but that doesn't mean they're bad.
they're an extremely good tool for those who have the ability.
not everyone has the ability to go and build/install/tune one of these units, but those who have have had awesome results.

they're cheap because they're not for everyone.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
They're cheap because you have to put them together yourself, and everything is open source, no-ones profiting from Megasquirt, apart from the hardware suppliers.

Going for a stock T5 will use more fuel on the highway, they have a 0.72 overdrive, versus BTR's 0.68. T5-Z's have optional 5th gear ratios including 0.65 and 0.62 which will bring the RPM down more on cruising, these might bring cruising RPM down too low if you fit a large cam though, and you will lose all your fuel economy.

What diff ratio do you have now? IMO cruising RPM should be just under 2000rpm.

A unichip is a lot easier to get running than a megasquirt, but a dealer needs to tune the chip if you want a custom tune.

Quote:

What do u guys think???
Find a better mechanic :P

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
Sweet_EL_

My car is tickford enchanced, so its got 3.45 diff in it, yeah it around the 2000 rpm. I'm not looking at large cams, I just a bit more a kick when I hit it..
Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #15
heckaz performance

Plenty to choose from, but keeping bottom end power would mean staying away from some of the bigger cams. Crow stage 3, idles not to great (or low down power), someone made 170rwkw with a stage 2 crow cam (and unichip, exhaust,..), which would suit your application. Good Idle, and bottom end power.
Similar cams could be reground for less $$$.
196deg @ 0.50, (same .050 as eb circuit racing, I'm pretty sure) for stage 2.
Then again if its Tickford, the cams have run good times, stock, and would most likely be of similar size. (I think theres a T stamped on the cam and a red dot)
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
Sweet_EL_

how well would it run with the stage 2 cam without the unichip?? coz I wasn't planing to chip it or ms2 or what ever for a few mont after, when I get the money for it..
Old 07-05-2006, 02:05 AM   #17
heckaz performance

They say fine with stock computer.

Probably just a little rich (are stock),
which could also be solved, with a standard gli fuel pressure regulator,
if yours is a ghia it should be xr6 (higher pressure) the stock reg adds power,
by leaning it out as it uses less pressure.
The reg mod may add more than the cam as yours should also be xr6,
and people have made good power and run good times with these fitted,
apparently they have high lift, for a stock cam.
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Sweet_EL_

how can u tell if it has the stock gli or the xr6 regulator...

I'll have to c if I can find the specs of the tickford cam and compare it the crow or wade cam that I'm looking at...

um dose any1 have the specs of the EL XR6 cam??
Old 25-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
Sweet_EL_

ok I'm gettin a unichip off 1 of the other members here... So would it be worth me putting in a stage 2 / 3 crow or a wade 1004-14 / 1604 or keep the tickford cam??