Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #31
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
well i did the reset on mine. and it didnt seem to be as cold lately.

but the last few days its been doing the cold air steam trick again, so i dont know wtf is going on lol.

this crazy hot-cold weather is playing havoc on our cars lol

what is this reset thing? or can it only be done on the high end stuff with all the fancy climate control thingys....??
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #32
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
ok, so my air con use to be really awesome and it would get so cold and steam or whatever that gas was came out of the vents. i was lead to believe it was the core freezing and it was steam/condesation. like what happens in winter with your breath or whatever. you guys know what i mean.

anyway in these last few days, my aircon has stopped working properly. it wont stay cool, it goes cool, then it just warms back up again then cool then warm. mainly staying on warm, and thats with the climate control set at like 16 degrees with the fan on high.

does it need regassing? a leak somewhere?

cheers
Prolly needs some HiCHill ( thats lpg)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #33
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone got more info?... looking at those who have already posted in the thread... about the symptoms.. and what they did to fix it.....

taking the car to my mechanic on wednesday.. and was hoping to throw some feedback to him from you guys...

Thanks
Trent
Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #34
daneightball
My Other Toy

If you are talking about the big fat pipe that runs from the evaporator to the compressor then yeh it should be sweating (moisture on the outside of the pipe) but not icing up. I have been having some troubles with mine for a while now and i am waiting to take it to the local A/E in town to get them to have a look at it. Haven't had a look but I am not sure if my AU II runs an accumulator with orifice or a TEV (TX Valve) if it is a TX then I suspect that is is faulty and may need replacing as they do play up and can actually get stuck. If not then i am unsure as mine only plays up when I (accidently) push my accelator to the floor and get her working hard, so could be a small leak and only low on gas so the pressure switch could be cutting out to save the compressor.
daneightball is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #35
The Mighty Red

my XR does exactly the same as the thread starter , blows the steamy like air through the vents etc, Is only cold for a few minutes at a time especially on hot days .......I took it to an aircon speciallist 2 years ago ......he just said $1500 without even looking at .....I said arent you going to check it out, he said AU falcon I dont need to and then rattled of a heap of things he would need to change.....I guess I should go and get a 2nd opinion, maybe all it needs is a regas and he was trying to take me for a ride
Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #36
daneightball
My Other Toy

Wow sounds like he must be a magician. There are defianately model specific problems with air con's that have come up over the years N15 pulsars, evap in xf and ea falcons were another big one and so on but if he is quoting 1500 I would say that is a new compressor , R/D TX full flash and regas but like with anything there should always be diagnosis you wouldn't let a mechanic touch your pride and joy without at least looking at it so don't let them do it to your ac it may well be a recurring problem that he is aware of but that doesn't mean it is your problem.
Never ASSUME
Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #37
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Prolly needs some HiCHill ( thats lpg)
Don't use HiChill.
I used it as the A/C guy said mine needed a top up. So he recovered all the old gas and put HiChill in
In a week the A/C stopped working and the pipe from orifice tube to the dryer had frost on it.
Took it to another guy who changed the orifice tube and put the normal a/c gas back in and all is now O.K.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #38
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
can i ask a question those with a problem... if while running the air con.. the pipe that runs along the passenger side of the engine bay right at the top.. does that freeze up?... i have been havng probs with my air con.. similar to what ppl are saying...

i replaced the accumulator and tx valve.. and it worked a treat... for about a week... and now it's doing the exact same thing again.... could there be a blockage somewhere else in the system causing this?... any help would be awesome...

i have a series 1 Futura... going to see my mechanic again tomorrow.. he has been closed for 2 weeks.. heh..

Thanks
Trent
The reason I changed my whole system was because all the piping was full of filings and what not from the busted compressor. Does your compressor make any strange noises? If so, then that will be your problem.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #39
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes.. the compressor is quite loud....

well i think first thing tomorrow.. might change the tx valve... they are cheap enuf...

and if it stops working again.. i think i'll have to change the compressor....

thanks everyone for the replies .... gives me a good starting point for tomorrow...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #40
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The noise coming from your compressor could be pressure build up. When you change the orifice tube, see if it is full of crap. If it is, then you may have yourself an expensive problem.

Also, if it is full then it could be in your condensor as well, which would need a flush out or even replacing.

Oo\===/oO
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #41
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well... my mechanic pulled the gas out of the system.. pulled out the tx valve/filter.. or whatever you wanna call it.. it looked dirty... gave it a wipe.. but seemed fine... blew thru it to make sure it wasnt blocked... put it back in.. regased it... and the air con is working again... the compressor is also nowhere near as loud as it was before....

so guess there was a blockage somewhere.. making the compressor work harder.. but now everything is working again... will see what happens in the next week.. as last time it worked for about 4 or 5 days...

fingers crossed... if anyone needs more detailed info.. feel free to pm me.. and i'll try to explain in more detail what we did.. and why we did it...

Thanks
Trent
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #42
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aaand another update....

it's been working fine since i had it worked on... until today... the comrpessor cycles out.. but won't cycle back in....

if i turn the engine off then back on again.. the compressor will start again.. the air con also doesn't seem as cold as it was a few days ago... but it doesn't seem to be icing up.... which is the problem i was having last time...

could this be an ecu fault?...

also the car is running a lot hotter then it usually does when i have the air con running... in dash diagnostics mode.. it's reading as 95 degrees...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #43
daneightball
My Other Toy

Motor running hotter when the a/c is on is not completely unexpected probably going to be more noticable on a hotter day than a cooler one as the a/c works by absorbing heat in the cab through the evap and then dissapating the heat through the condenser which is right in front of your radiator. More than likely whith what you said about the noisey compressor and gunk in the TEV I would think that the compressor is probably shagged and is gonna need a replacement pretty soon make sure it is done by a fully qualified service technician as the system will need a flush. New drier and TX valve are standard replacement when a new compressor is fitted as warranties are voided if this is not done. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #44
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneightball
Motor running hotter when the a/c is on is not completely unexpected probably going to be more noticable on a hotter day than a cooler one as the a/c works by absorbing heat in the cab through the evap and then dissapating the heat through the condenser which is right in front of your radiator. More than likely whith what you said about the noisey compressor and gunk in the TEV I would think that the compressor is probably shagged and is gonna need a replacement pretty soon make sure it is done by a fully qualified service technician as the system will need a flush. New drier and TX valve are standard replacement when a new compressor is fitted as warranties are voided if this is not done. Sorry for the bad news.
Thats what I have been saying.

Oo\===/oO
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #45
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the drier in it is new... be ****ed if i have to change it again.. :S...

but yeah.. looks like changing the compressor is the next step.. hopefully that will fix it... but the compressor is not making any loud noises anymore....

i ran the a/c tonite.. outside temp is obviously cool... and the compressor was cycling in and out not a problem....

damn cars...

thanks for the replies...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneightball
.... mine only plays up when I (accidently) push my accelator to the floor and get her working hard, so could be a small leak and only low on gas so the pressure switch could be cutting out to save the compressor.
This is normal - the air con disengages at WOT.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #47
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll have to try that one.. hehe
Old 13-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #48
daneightball
My Other Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
This is normal - the air con disengages at WOT.
That sure explains a lot thanks for that i didn't know, sweet at least that means my system is ok
Old 16-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #49
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another update... sorry to keep bringing up this thread.. but thought it might help anyone with a similar problem....

well we finally found a leak.... my compressor is leaking from the front seal... and that is why it worked for a while.. then slowly got worse and worse.. and it seems the pipe that froze up.. was freezing coz of the low gas level... so now the leak has been found.. we can fix it.. and hopefully all will be well...

i can get a second hand compressor for 165 from a local wrecker... they are expecting the wreck in this week.. and i got a quote of $615 plus gst for a brand new one... and my mechanic was also looking at finding a seal kit... so he can just change the seals.. and that will fix it... will update again once it's sorted....

anyone got any better quotes for a series 1 in brisbane?...

Thanks
Trent
Old 16-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #50
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Where did you get the $600 quote from? I got a reconditioned compressor from Ford for about $350 IIRC.

Oo\===/oO
Old 16-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #51
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the price my mechanic was quoted... not sure who from... but that is Brand New...
Old 16-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #52
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Bit off topic, but my air con (fan i think)
Is making a vibrating noise like something is stuck in there, increases with the fan speed..
It was sucking from inside the vehicle when it happened??
Any ideas?
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #53
HLC
Audi S3

probably a bit of garbage stuck in there. leaf, docket, wrapper etc. i use to just make the fan speed vary heaps and then it would eventually come loose
Old 16-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #54
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or if you take the glove box out.. you can access the fan blower... which i have also recently replaced....
Old 16-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #55
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

hello guys ! my el falcon futura ! is doing the dame leaking from the front seal ! i know au compressors are cheaper than the el falcon ! i live in maryborough ! and i dont particually want to spend 1000 dollars fixing it up just after i spent $900 doing the head gasket and the solenoid in the transmission !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #56
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Bit off topic, but my air con (fan i think)
Is making a vibrating noise like something is stuck in there, increases with the fan speed..
It was sucking from inside the vehicle when it happened??
Any ideas?
More problems, What is with our air con's all of a sudden???

When I turn the control to blow the air through the varies places, it doesnt do anything, no sound. I had the dash apart today and all the hoses seem attached and ok.
Still got the vibrating noise near the glovebox but its got a different note to it now. Buggered to know what is going on...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #57
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

bugger ! i think it is just summer ! really we havent really had a summer this year ! hmm if that person could tell me who could but new bearing and seals in the compressor it would save me $$$, gees i could wish i could help you but iam no mechanic :-( bloody ac ! we are better off winding down our window and breathing in the smog ( i dont think so )
Old 17-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #58
HLC
Audi S3

i think people thought it was just normal lol

and now they've noticed that their aircon is crap lol
Old 17-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #59
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

mine is still normal,but when the mechanic was doing the head gasket on the el falcon he said that the air con is leaking oil !!
Old 24-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #60
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

is hteir any one in brisbane that could ! do the air con and put a new seal on the ac becasue i dint want to put a new ac unit in it !!