Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #61
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy109
It might cost a bit of money to set up, which is probably why the NSW authorities have been "investigating" the idea for so long, but really would it be too much to ask for some of the revenue from speed cameras to be put into this project?
But as the government continuously tells us that saving lives is their main priority, not raising revenue, how can they justify not spending the money on lights?
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #62
parawolf
beep beep

*sigh* why not put a fence on the footpath that is about 5foot high with spikes on top so the kids and parents cannot climb over it to jay-walk across a road in front of peak hour traffic? Why not make these fences complete from one end of the 'school zone' to the other and just have the permanently in place. In addition, in the spots where there are crossings for these roads, have an hydrolic door to open when the little man goes green only. </sarcasm>

Seriously load of rubbish some stuff that comes out of Scruby's mouth at times...
Old 19-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #63
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

in south aust 25km/hr whenever children are present
that could be on the weekend, playing sport, late at night concerts etc, during the day, maybe leaving school early etc, any time there are children about....you are doing 25 km/hr
doesn't matter if there are signs, lollypop people, aor flashing lights. it's up to you , the driver, to see what is going on
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #64
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Yer flashing lights are good idea. Cause when the hell are school days
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper
So what you are saying, ltd, is that you have a problem reading school zone speed limit signs. But you have no issue with any other speed limit sign, even though they might also suffer from obscurity behind trees etc. Is that correct? If the sign is truly hidden, then that is your defence against the ticket.

I don't recall having any difficulty reading these signs when I am in Sydney. Or Melbourne. Or anywhere else for that matter.
No, again you're mistaken, I don't have any problems reading signs when they are visible. Where did I say I have no problem reading other obscured or otherwise signs that indicate anything else but a school zone? Don't make facts up or base your evidence on supposition to support your lacklustre arguement.

To entertain you I know for a fact that the majority of roads throughout suburbia are 50 or 60 kmh zones. This is ascertained by the number of lanes there are on a road ie, 1 lane is typically 50 or 60; you just keep up with the flow of traffic, and 2 lanes is typically 60. Again you keep up with the flow of traffic. This is the basic premise used when learning to drive, they teach you to interpret in the absence of signage. Obviously, an intellectual giant such as yourself would realise this.
Tell me, have you actually tried to defend a speeding offence in a school zone? Have you tried to tell the police man that the sign was obscured? I think you'll find that your complaint will fall upon deaf ears.

It is all very well and good for someone who says that they have no problems to look down from his ivory tower with scold for us mere mortals, but you sir are in the minority when it comes to public feeling on school zones in NSW. If you even had the slightest regard for children you would agree that alerting drivers to the activation of school zones is tantamount to reducing accidents. Unfortunately you prefer to try and start an arguement on baseless claims because you personally feel satisfaction or empowerment derived from some bizarre Edipus issue. Be ignorant as long as you like, and advocate the 25kmh limit, just don't expect anyone to care when you complain about the cost of goods going up due to increased freight costs, or the cost of fuel being more expensive due to a longer amount of time on the road with the engine running.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #66
Scott

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Be ignorant as long as you like, and advocate the 25kmh limit, just don't expect anyone to care when you complain about the cost of goods going up due to increased freight costs, or the cost of fuel being more expensive due to a longer amount of time on the road with the engine running.
Not buying into the argument but this statement is a doozie! :
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #67
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Not buying into the argument but this statement is a doozie! :
Actually, to be fair, his statement - is certainly recognised in financial terms at government level. The Commonwealth via ATSB undertook studies for a 130km/h proposal for some national routes using 'technology' like VMS to signal so. Key parts of the argument for doing so are certainly based on cost benefit analysis. Such financial analysis applies to all roads, those with value get greater funding and other attention, etc and so on.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #68
Scott

Ok, gotta buy in just a little.

On the "assumtion" that an average School Zone is 250m long, we are talking about the difference in time of:

40km/h - 22.5 seconds or
25km/h - 36 seconds

How will that 13.5 second's impact freight costs? Even if a freight crowd drive through 20 School Zones a day it would still only total less than 5 minutes more! I wonder how much more fuel a freight driver would actually use for 5 minutes of driving at 25km/h (assuming he goes through 20/day mind).

40km/h = safe
25km/h = revenue raising

As for the 130km/h suggestion, that would have an impact but it's hardly relevant (edit - to the 40km or 25km discussion anyway).

Last edited by GTP006; 19-03-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 19-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #69
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

40Km/h is slow enough, as a student last year driving to school, i found the same thing as fantz with people sitting up my @$$, trying to go around me, imagine it evan further reduced!

I think 40Km/h was a good idea around primary schools but aroud High schools it's a bit stupid, i think my mates and i should be smart enough by the age of 17 to judge crossing a road, Not having a dig at the law, saying at our age we should be able to do such things without such systoms inplace.

By the way before the 40Km/h speeds were brought in nobody had been hit at my school in years, after they were brought in, 4 people were hit, problem is people watching there speedo too much instead of the road.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #70
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Great i can see it now, freight trains no longer 100km/hr speed limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #71
Scott

FPV8U - probably right there with the "watching the speedo".
Old 19-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #72
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Great i can see it now, freight trains no longer 100km/hr speed limited.
I see a lot of stickers on a lot of trucks doing a lot more than 100! But still, not very relevant to this thread.
Old 19-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #73
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

this world is just turning ИИИИed

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #74
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I see a lot of stickers on a lot of trucks doing a lot more than 100! But still, not very relevant to this thread.
Quote:
The Commonwealth via ATSB undertook studies for a 130km/h proposal for some national routes using 'technology' like VMS to signal so.
you were saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #75
Scott

Nup, you lost me. I don't follow?
Old 20-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #76
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Mate, I didn't say that flashing lights would not get your attention. I asked if an alert driver really needed such a device. You can read other road signs without flashing lights, can't you?
yes but also in your post you were relating it to stopsign's etc, stopsigns dont go on 4 weeks holiday or have certain times throughout the day when they are not stopsign's, but schoolzones are 2-3 hour periods during the day and have about 16 weeks in the year when they are not in use, hence the lights to tell other motorists when they ARE in use.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #77
Kenster

if we end up going 25km/h during school zone oh i prefer getting out of the car and walking it i will get quicker than the car would or put my car on neture and just let it roll
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #78
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Hands up everyone who had someone Dunloped while they were at school?

Why not teach the kids something. I know when I was at primary school the whole look both ways before crossing the road was drilled into our heads. You got in trouble for not using the crossing. Or are we just going for the cheaper option now days?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with 40kph. But when we have to keep limiting things it's starting to get beyond a joke.

To add to that, drive through a school zone at 3pm. Watch how many of the stupid mothers in 4WDs just blindly speed along, or abuse you for doing 40kph. Perhaps they need a good kick up the ИИИИ.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #79
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Hands up everyone who had someone Dunloped while they were at school?

Why not teach the kids something. I know when I was at primary school the whole look both ways before crossing the road was drilled into our heads. You got in trouble for not using the crossing. Or are we just going for the cheaper option now days?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with 40kph. But when we have to keep limiting things it's starting to get beyond a joke.

To add to that, drive through a school zone at 3pm. Watch how many of the stupid mothers in 4WDs just blindly speed along, or abuse you for doing 40kph. Perhaps they need a good kick up the ИИИИ.
Agree 100%

Quote: