Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
crannersEL
Banned

Default High Five To EPA Victoria! "How much" you may ask?!?

The CRANRS machine has been noted as too loud by EPA Victoria. Recieved my letter in the mail today and need to have it fixed and checked before July 5th

Say goodbye to $200 :-(

Cranners

crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Man thats so limp....

Have you got one or two mufflers? So they dont even have to pull you over? Just get your rego? What if you had a hole i our exhaust and you were on your way to get it fixed!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
crannersEL
Banned

Rego, location, date/time and your done....

A few of my mates have had the same thing happen to them in the last few weeks also.

Spoke to the exhaust shop bloke today and he said it used to be measured at idle but now they test the sound right up high in rev range which sucks....making all aftermarket exhaust too loud.

Ive got Pacies into high flow car 2.5" system 2 mufflers and a ressy at the back....

$35.60 for the EPA test and $240 for a stocko exhaust, then i got the decision whether or not to put the old system back on :-(
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Greenies...bah!

Id be stuffed, didn't keep any of my stock stuff. Although I guess most people throw it out. If you make a thread in the wanted section im sure you could pick something up pretty cheaply.

edit: Personally I think they should have to pull you over. Only reason I say that is, for example, what if they saw your car on this site, then most people talk about where they live. So then the EPA takes a stab and a major road you drive on. Send you a letter, then you dont pay attention to the location (or you might have be there around that time) and wella, automatic fine. BS if you ask me. But thats being a bit paranoid I guess.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
crannersEL
Banned

Ive worked a deal with the exhaust shop i do all my work through, they are really really good. He said i can "borrow" a new system for the test and then return it back within the day for the charge of labor only, which would be about $120 which isnt too bad i guess.....
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
[T1PTOP]
Banned

yer thats not a bad price i guess.

just fit and remove your self its easy enough.
[T1PTOP] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
bomber
Banned

awww crap mine might be in the mail too then, been waiting for one for like a month and a half now, was thinking the cop was trying to scare me because i hadnt got it yet. Its not avtually fine its more of a case of go and get ur car tested for noise if it fails and you dont fix it it becomes unroadworthy.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

That really sucks, Paul. I've kept the rear ressy on my exhaust because I don't want to be defected, but now it seems that still has the chance of happening.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Doesn't the stock system run 2 mufflers and a resonator? Just a smaller diameter pipe?

I reckon you would should get off with your current system, after all it depends on how loud the individual that reported you thought it was. Even a stock car makes a bit of noise when given a bootfull. It might sound loud but still be within limits.

If the test is only $36 its worth a shot, you never know, might pass and not have to worry about the labour of having a stock system put in and taken out again. Worst case you need to do 2 tests but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
That really sucks, Paul. I've kept the rear ressy on my exhaust because I don't want to be defected, but now it seems that still has the chance of happening.
Thats it mate, my exhaust isn't even that loud really, ive always thought it was quiet compaired to everyone elses with similar setups and systems..
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
[T1PTOP]
Banned

RWC worthy DB reading is no more the 98 DB (give or take)

when a mate of mine got EPA'd and got the test done he got a reading of 95DB from a full stock system!

so any after market cat back/zorst is going to be illegal in bracks's eyes
[T1PTOP] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T1PTOP]
RWC worthy DB reading is no more the 98 DB (give or take)

when a mate of mine got EPA'd and got the test done he got a reading of 95DB from a full stock system!

so any after market cat back/zorst is going to be illegal in bracks's eyes
I had an idea it had to be around 100db to be leagle, i am interested to see what my system reads so i might get it tested tomorrow just to see how far over or under it is
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
$35.60 for the EPA test and $240 for a stocko exhaust, then i got the decision whether or not to put the old system back on :-(
Or $5 for some steel wool and a can of harden the **** up
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_weapon

Whats that??
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
RMCprime
EF XR6 5spd

a 3db increase is aproximately double the sound intensity so it is actualy a fair difference. I would go get the test and see how loud you actually are.

Last edited by RMCprime; 12-06-2007 at 04:57 PM.
RMCprime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Whats that??
Its a saying that is as annoying as "it will buff out". :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
Sundeep
Banned

Damn that licks it hard.

My EA would fail hard out. EL would probably fail as well. If the EL gets an EPA it's going back to stock. It's annoying most of the time anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
Better go make it stocker than it already is then!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Better go make it stocker than it already is then!

Sundeep
Nope. I'm keeping the 2.5" exhaust on the car. It does sound a lot better than the stock exhaust, without being too loud.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Ok with 95 and 100db you vic blokes are lucky! double check the figures because i just got defected not long ago and the limit for a 6 cylinder was 90db and it had to be at 4250rpm - hold the revs then let off. My exhaust as in sig just made it 89.5db but i didnt let off quick i eased off the throttle so it didnt pop and crackle when i just let off the throttle it made 94.5
That sucks mate but if the noise limit is 95 you should make it with a 2.5" system.

Seriously though if your handy with a drill and angle grinder make a restrictor plate to go between 2 of the flanges mid way down the system. make the hole in it the size of a 20c piece and off you go.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
vic blokes are lucky!
Want to have a crack at the rest of the laws we have to deal with...LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
crannersEL
Banned

Ok just spoken to the local testing place and he said that in Victoria its 90db to be leagle, so ive booked in for tomorrow morning to see what mine is.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok with 95 and 100db you vic blokes are lucky! double check the figures because i just got defected not long ago and the limit for a 6 cylinder was 90db and it had to be at 4250rpm - hold the revs then let off. My exhaust as in sig just made it 89.5db but i didnt let off quick i eased off the throttle so it didnt pop and crackle when i just let off the throttle it made 94.5
That sucks mate but if the noise limit is 95 you should make it with a 2.5" system.

Seriously though if your handy with a drill and angle grinder make a restrictor plate to go between 2 of the flanges mid way down the system. make the hole in it the size of a 20c piece and off you go.
Im pretty sure that depending on what year your car was made, determines how loud your car can be. Its like some pre 1988 model cars can have a db limit of something just over hundred (this is becuase pre 1988 models didnt have resonater's or something based along those lines), while cars made after 1988 was around the 98 limit. Then the db for new cars made in the 2000 era is around the low 90. Dont quote me on this, but i remeber seeing this law somewhere. If you think about it, a bf gt with dual exhaust from factory opens up a fair bit at 4000rpm........its over 90db for sure....... confusing stuff, as a stock bf gt exhaust would be classified as illegal from factory!. lol

Cranners, the way EPA sent you a letter......i think it is the wimpiest method of giving a fine to someone! I dont think your car could make 98 DB from what you are claiming. If you want to check, you can buy the DB units from dick smith. You can use it a couple times then get a refund, or keep it. :P
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #23
Project_Corty

Quote:
Rego, location, date/time and your done....

A few of my mates have had the same thing happen to them in the last few weeks also.

Spoke to the exhaust shop bloke today and he said it used to be measured at idle but now they test the sound right up high in rev range which sucks....making all aftermarket exhaust too loud.

Ive got Pacies into high flow car 2.5" system 2 mufflers and a ressy at the back....

I had a mate who owned a clevo v8 that had been defected for noise. He had to make it go up to approx 3200rpm's which was the testing limit at that time (about 7 years ago).

Obviously it has changed now.
Project_Corty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #24
crannersEL
Banned

I have to rev mine upto 3600rpm, i read that before on the epa website
Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #25
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Dont worry its the same here. Apparently now the point in the rev range which they test your car for is dependant on engine size/capacity.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_weapon
From another forum...

"I wouldn't bother stuffing your exhaust with steel wool, they shined a light into my muffler and checked for steel wool. Also, they run a heat detector device thingo that they run from the front to the back of your exhaust to check for anything else dodgy, they will pick up your restrictor plate with that if go down that path and fail you too. :-(

I didn't bother with any of this, I just went to my local exhaust shop and paid $100 for a cheap nasty 1.5" (Or smaller lol) catback with 3 mufflers in it. I got my car tested with it and it scored 78db then swapped back to my Marlew exhaust just after the test."
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #27
Sundeep
Banned

Wrecker + $65 = Standard RW exhaust.

30 minutes + Correct tools = Above + under your car.

Why bother stuffing around when Falcons are so cheap and easy to work on?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i sold my el, and the rear muffler had a massive rust hole, so it needed to be changed for RWC. $150 installed for a brand new, standard redback rear muffler. it actually sounds better now than it did with the "sports" muffler.

i've had the EPA sitting behind my liberty, and thats loud as hell, its been a while and no letters yet
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
bomber
Banned

To be legal and pass the epa noise test it is 90DB at 3600 - 3700rpm depending on transmission, A 2.5" redback system with muffler and resonator with std cat is manufactured to be under the legal limit I had mine done just before xmas with the redback system stated previously with Genie tuned length extended headers and passed with a reading hovering 90 to 91db they had to take the lower limit because it fluctuated.

Cranners what date on letter did they ping you for?
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #30
crannersEL
Banned

Friday the 1st of June at 8.15pm was when i got spotted..

I just checked then, i have one muffler and the rear ressy