Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default BEWARE:- Apple iPhone Update OS 4.0 Version 4.0

Just updated my iPhones Operating System

BEWARE:- The Update deletes all the Names & Phone Numbers & Contact Details - email addy's in your Contacts

I tried to restore them back of my Sim Card but for some uknown reason my Sim Car was blank ..............

Which is weird as thats where i got my Contact from in the First Place

I thought BACKUP is that - it Backs up all your entire phone on to the computer but for the life of me I cant find restore Back Up

I only could find restore to previous factory settings

Anyway just a heads up - I am not a Whiz with the iPhone so you may be able to get around this

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Can't you just resync your contacts from itunes?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen this happen to a few people, i had no troubles at all though, maybe your contacts aren't being sync'd with the comp?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Just updated my iPhones Operating System

BEWARE:- The Update deletes all the Names & Phone Numbers & Contact Details - email addy's in your Contacts

I tried to restore them back of my Sim Card but for some uknown reason my Sim Car was blank ..............

Which is weird as thats where i got my Contact from in the First Place

I thought BACKUP is that - it Backs up all your entire phone on to the computer but for the life of me I cant find restore Back Up

I only could find restore to previous factory settings

Anyway just a heads up - I am not a Whiz with the iPhone so you may be able to get around this
To claim that it does this to all users, as you are inferring, is a big call considering that you are the first person I've heard of this happening to.

Try a resync, that generally fixes any issues. Did you have all of your contacts backed up to outlook?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
GT677
Starter Motor

Morning Sorted,

As above - If you haven't synced you contacts, calender etc with your mac or PC (ie. the only copy resides on your phone) then when the iphone get wiped in order to install the new OS, and no contact info etc will be uploaded as it has no where to pull the info from. But the phone/itunes should have backed up your info prior to installing the new software. For a mac (should be similar for PC), with itunes open and iphone plugged in, go to iTunes; Preferences; Devices - there should be a window displaying your recent backs ups, from there you should be able to restore the phone using your latest back up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

GT677
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

If you google it you will find it does it to some it doesn't do it to other - even in whirlpool it is mentioned

This is just a BEWARE - i am pretty sure thats what the title says

I am not claiming it will do it to everyone

I also stated i am not a WHIZ when it comes to the iPhone

I don't have my iPhone sync'd to my Outlook

I would of thought when it asks do you want to Back Up your phone thats what it would do including all the contacts ALSO they would have stayed on the sim card.

When i restored Backup i also would have thought that means restore contacts not restore everything except contacts UNLESS you have sync'd with outlook

My Nokia backed everything up and when i wanted it back you would just select restore backup and BINGO all back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT677
Morning Sorted,

As above - If you haven't synced you contacts, calender etc with your mac or PC (ie. the only copy resides on your phone) then when the iphone get wiped in order to install the new OS, and no contact info etc will be uploaded as it has no where to pull the info from. But the phone/itunes should have backed up your info prior to installing the new software. For a mac (should be similar for PC), with itunes open and iphone plugged in, go to iTunes; Preferences; Devices - there should be a window displaying your recent backs ups, from there you should be able to restore the phone using your latest back up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

GT677
I just have a PC not a Mac and i did restore BackUp but i could not find restore BackUp from say a backup i did a month ago - it only shows last back up

When i reconnected the iPhone it re-sync'd so i assume this is the latest back up now

In Any case all my SMS's and MMS's are still there so I just have to add names to the contacts list.

Hopefully i can pull the iPhone sim out and put it in my old Nokia and import the contact details on it and restore on the iPhone - the old skool way lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 08-07-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

when i updated my iphone to 4.0 it wouldnt let me install the new software till it backed up the data. When it backs up the data it should by rights back up your contacts

Just plug your phone into the computer and start itunes and it will say restoring backup or something along those lines?

if not right click on your phone in itunes and click restore from backup.

You should have all your contacts back

If that doesnt work, your contacts will still be on your sim but the iphone just doesnt show them off the sim. If you go into Settings - Mail, Contacts and Calenders and go all the way down the bottom you'll see Import SIM Contacts. It will then copy all the contacts from your sim.

The only down side is any contacts you have added on your iphone itself will not be saved on the sim. eg if you added Joe Blow after you got your iphone it will not be on your sim card.

Hope this helps with your problem
Reverse Parking Sensors, Full XR6 Body Kit, 18" XR8 Mag's, BMC Air Filter, F6 Typhoon Airbox with F6 Lower Intake & XR6 Turbo Upper Intake Snorkel, XR6 Turbo Exhaust, DBA Street Series Standard Front & Rear Rotors, Bendix GCT Front & Rear Pads
hopk88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Thanks for the heads up Sorted. The update option came up for me when I plugged my phone into the comp to charge it. Was planning on doing it later but thanks to your info, I'll back all my stuff up. Thanks again.

Krissy.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

At least one member gets that its just a Heads Up

I think my issue is that I didnt have my phone sync'd to my outlook as I have 1,000's of email addy's on my home outlook and i didnt want them added to my iPhone so i didnt select the outlook sync - i thought it was just for email addy's not actual phone numbers and contact names :(

KezDaMuss i tried the import from Sim - seems my Sim is blank :( which is weird as in December 2009 when i got the iPhone I imported all the contact names and phone numbers from the same sim :(

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

I think my issue is that I didnt have my phone sync'd to my outlook as I have 1,000's of email addy's on my home outlook and i didnt want them added to my iPhone so i didnt select the outlook sync - i thought it was just for email addy's not actual phone numbers and contact names :(

KezDaMuss i tried the import from Sim - seems my Sim is blank :( which is weird as in December 2009 when i got the iPhone I imported all the contact names and phone numbers from the same sim :(
You can select for it to just sync with selected email accounts.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
CFOUR
The Destroyer

didn't happen to me and I was even running a jailbreak prior to updating.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

My GF has an Iphone and it deletes contacts, songs, everything when she uploads new software.
Then she has to sync it to get it all back.

Pain in the butt IMO!!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

Quote:

with the outlook syncing it shouldnt be that because i dont outlook sync either and all my contacts got backed up when i accidently wiped my phone.

When you sync to outlook it only sync the emails etc i think (not sure because i have never synced to outlook)

that is very odd about the sim contacts though...maybe apples is deleting the contacts so you stick with them.

have you tried chucking the sim card from your iphone into another phone?
Reverse Parking Sensors, Full XR6 Body Kit, 18" XR8 Mag's, BMC Air Filter, F6 Typhoon Airbox with F6 Lower Intake & XR6 Turbo Upper Intake Snorkel, XR6 Turbo Exhaust, DBA Street Series Standard Front & Rear Rotors, Bendix GCT Front & Rear Pads

Last edited by hopk88; 08-07-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Weiry

No problem with above, however mine has slowed down since i updated(painfully slow) Any tips?
Weiry
Weiry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiry
No problem with above, however mine has slowed down since i updated(painfully slow) Any tips?
Weiry
i found that mine has too, is yours a 3g?, and is it jailbroken?

Guy i work with has a 3Gs and it is superfast.

mines getting the screen repaired atm but i will look into speeding it up when i get back.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I did mine yesterday and nothing was deleted.

Why does it only happen to some and not others?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
didn't happen to me and I was even running a jailbreak prior to updating.
Same here, didn't have any problems at all.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

It probably depends on a users individual settings.

My contacts are only on my sim, and they disappeared when I updated, but I did as Kez suggested, and went back into the settings to change it. Simple.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #19
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

My phone was Jailbroken, chose to update to 4.0, told me it was going to do backup, then installed 4.0, then performed backup to the phone. everything is there. i didnt touch Outlook. And strangely enough, one of my Jailbreak apps is still operating on the phone (lets you change the name of the 'Carrier' & shows a battery percentage) tho i cant access it to turn it off or change it.

I have a 3G. And it now runs at least 25% slower than it did before. Needless to say i'll be upgrading to a iPhone4 on release.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excuse my ignorance but WTF is "jailbreak"??I

Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had the same problem with my 3G, backed up then upgrade to 4.0.. then it was really slow so i had to format it, but luckily most of my contacts were sync'ed with my outlook.

Its still slow to read messages, im over Apple and their stupid upgrades.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
efxr8envy

i didnt have any problems with the upgrade only took 20 mins and the phone works perfectly. i didnt loose any data or any apps nothing at all.
efxr8envy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #23
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

i did mine the day os4 came out and i have had no problems and mine is iphone 3g

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
When your IPhone has been Jailbroken you can run other Apps which you get from other places, not through Itunes & the App Store.

I also did it to my wifes Iphone which was network locked to Telstra & she can now use it on the Optus network by installed an App after the Jailbreak.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As above Norm, but basically it an iPhone that has been jailbroken will work on any network. So its the same as any other phone that is sim locked to a certain carrier. And you can use 3rd party apps aswell as app store ones
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
As above Norm, but basically it an iPhone that has been jailbroken will work on any network. So its the same as any other phone that is sim locked to a certain carrier. And you can use 3rd party apps aswell as app store ones
Can also get paid app store apps for free
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys..!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

miss my jailbreak
after the 4.0 release cydia had some updates as well
which i installed and made my phone **** itself
so i had to de-jailbreak and update to 4.0
at which time i lost no contacts
opnly thing i lost was my 3rd party apps

as soon as we get past the beta 4.0 jailbreaks my phone will be all good again

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #29
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I finally updated mine. Took Sorted's advice and backed everything up. When I did the udate, I didn't lose anything from my phone so it worked well for me but still, glad I backed it all up, just incase.

Krissy.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

not gonna update my 3G to OS4... its slow enough as is :(