Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Faded trimming, seals and door handles, Sprayed

Well i thought it was about time to give those faded black trmming around the edges of the windows, mirror, and the actuall door handles a spray in black. Currently im about 70% completed. I got some pics in progress.

I will have the other side completed by tommoro morning, as i ran out of masking tape :yeees: . I tried using this product that supposedly brings the shine back into faded plastic but it doesnt work to good. So i just deceided to clean it all down, cover the areas i didnt want to sprayed and went over it in a matt black. I will post more pics once i complete the other side, should come up good!.

SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

good stuff....i did similar earlier in the year to my car........

really makes them look just that bit better...

good stuff
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

i did that just recently too. also did the wipers and the wiper guard thingy..

i removed all the parts to be painted though except the 1/4 window piece.

i used matt black for the mirrors and wiper parts and did the rest in gloss black.

interestingly, well for my car at least, most of those trims were supposed to be like a grey colour. but it had faded to the point where the passing eye would see it as a black that had faded. i just did the whole lot in black and it came up sweet

don't forget to clear coat!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
RMCprime
EF XR6 5spd

what prep did u have to do be for u started with the black.

i hope i can do the same on the ef.

What sor t of paint did u use
RMCprime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the old man used to paint alot of cars and has a whole load of stuff sitting in the shed. So the prep i used had no lable lol. I went down to bunnings and got a matt black spray can for $7, just had a look at all the spray cans and picked out what i thought would do the job the best. Its just an all purpose spray with UV protection and a few other things. As for the clear coat thanks for reminding me Fairmont4.0, neally forget that!!.

I also pulled of the the side finishing panels and the moulding below the windsreen wipers and did them in the garage. It took a while and i had a look at pulling of the side mirrors, but its a pain in the neck trying to get it out!! So in the end thought id get some masking tape and newspaper and just do it like that.

I had a look at it this morning and its come up real good. I have only done one side at the momement and theres a big difference in colour. I was hoping to get the other side done now but its raining were i'am and the front driveway is the only place where i can work (double garage is full). Also there are uneven coats on a couple areas of the mouldings (cant really tell), but thats what you get for working in the dark. I know your supposed to do it on a moderate day but im either sleeping or out, and this was most likely the only weekend i could do it. Anyway sorry about the lecture i will finish it by today and post the other pics up.

SVT8
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8
As for the clear coat thanks for reminding me Fairmont4.0, neally forget that!!. SVT8
i did the wipers first and didn't clear coat them, about 2 weeks later the paint was damaged and seemed to be washing off!

i re-did them and did all the trim too then the clear. has been perfect since and washed many times.

*edit*
i also only used the $3 spray paint from supercheap auto
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Junkz0r

Hrmmmmnn..

I bought some 'Forever Black' stuff from Supercheap, it comes with a cleaning solution concentrate and a vinyl dye applicator, kinda like those boot polish in a bottle things.

Anyone else used it?? Or did I waste 8 bucks?
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I'm planning to paint all the faded plastics on my car in the near future, but I'll take the parts off before I do it. Looks good.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post