Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default swapping exhaust questions?

well today i got a letter in the mail stating that my car needs to go in for an exhaust sound test. i was spotted at shepp. at the springnats, on the Saturday at 11am on the main street of shepp. heading out to DECA.
its from the enviromental comminsioner (spelling!), so now i need to get it tested.
when i bought the car the guy said he thought it was only just over the limit, so im thinking i'll put my old standard exhaust on for the test, then swap it back after the test!!
so im wondering if its just a matter of unbolting and taking it off. i know theres rubbers it hangs on to as well so how do you take them off?
my exhaust is a 2.5" cat back with 1 muffler and a hotdog at the rear, thats all.
my standard exhaust sitting in the shed is a 2" with 2 mufflers in the middle and one at the back.
am i best swapping over the whole lot or is it possible to swap just 1 half of it? if so which half am i best swapping?
and if i just swap half will i need an adapter from 2" - 2.5"? this is why i am thinking its best to swap the whole lot??

sorry about all the questions! just want to find out as much as possible!!

cheers
Braden

ps. did anyone else get a notice?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Mickus
Banned

Hey man it musta been that time you were revving againt that little whiny sh1tbox car! In front of those 3 cops at the hotel! Man that was funny! LOL.

Im also interested in knowing to cause I wanna put on a new tailpipe on my car to make it more rumblier instead of stock tailpipe :P
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

na it wasnt then, that was late arvo, whereas the guy picked me up at 11am, just after we left maccas breakfast and headed out to DECA. proberly just before we pulled up next the gunmetal grey Fairmont at the lights, forum members car (sorry i forget which one!!).
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Mickus
Banned

hahahaha. So much for changing gears early to keep her quiet lol. It sounds so good but! Yeah I think it was Tiga_ELs car? Or Sunnys. I cant remember.

Damn cops. Just when we thoguht we'd gotten away clean!
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Why bother changing it??... Just make a gasket with a smaller hole as it exits the muffler, the restriction should quieten it down considerably and its easy as.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Jezzuz laws must be tough down there...

Cause you have 2.5"cat back with a hotdog and the muffler guy thought it was over the limit?

I have a custom muffler doesn't do much dedens drone thats all, with costomized cat to high flow with what is to be believed pacey's and it is 2.5 all the way through...

but yeah it's not all that hard you just unbolt it from your cat and it should come out once you un-hook the rubber things, just don't know how to get around the bit that goes over your diff?

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

took me about 2.5 hrs to take the rear section of the stock zorst off the EF wagon, weld up the first muffler and get it back on. just unhooks off the rubber then its a matter of manoovering it over the diff.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

it wasnt the cops, it was the enviromental comminers.
i might have a chat to my mechanic as he's serviced the car from the previous owner too so he knows the car a bit.

so say if i unbolt the rear section and take that off, and then put the original rear section back on, what do i need to do about the half inch gap from both sections? is there adapters?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
5L
[ 5L ]

that sucks, didnt know that they could do that. dont think they have that here in sa
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

yeah well it just more of a pain in the as$ than anything else! $35 for the test which is $35 i'd rather spend on other things!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
yeah well it just more of a pain in the as$ than anything else! $35 for the test which is $35 i'd rather spend on other things!
that doesn't sound right! You have to pay $35 cos THEY think your car is louder than its meant to be? :S
tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Why bother changing it??... Just make a gasket with a smaller hole as it exits the muffler, the restriction should quieten it down considerably and its easy as.
This method is the best!!! Much less hassles and easy 2 take off again after the test!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
That's what I did when I got my yellow sticker.

Worked np's.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #14
Rollin
Banned

As others have said, buy a sheet of gasket paper and cut the outside of it to the correct size, then just put some small holes (3x 1cm diameter holes should do it) then fit that instead of the 'proper' size gasket.

Just dont give your car a hiding on the way there, as you might break the paper.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

so can i just get this gasket paper from autobarn or an exhaust shop? so does it go just after the cat or between the first and second section of the tailpipe?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
EDXR6T

Put it in after the cat to the zorst.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #17
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

That is harsh, but Im sure Shepp was covered with those guys at that time.

My EA had a 2.5' catback with one muffler and thats it, never got in trouble. Although thats the risk we run of driving modded cars I guess.

You'll be fine, do what the others have said, but make sure you it right, test it before you go.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #18
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

well i went into autobarn and the only sheets of gasket paper they have is massive and $50 worth! the guy said just stick steel wool up there for the test! he also said dont stand behind the exhaust too as it'll shoot bits out and wont last long!

im wondering if thick sandpaper will work enough for the test? its only gotta last a couple minutes!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

bump :
Old 08-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
EDXR6T

Get a flat bit of steel plate and drill a hole about the size of a 50c peice

You can get flat bit's of steel any where. go to a zorst shop and ask if they have any offcut's of gasket paper. they wont charge you $50 for it.