Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default My pre travelling project

Just thought I'd share my little project of mounting my lights on the wagon with everyone. The lights are Lightforce 240 Blitzs' and I wanted to be able to take them on and off the car quickly and easily on the run if necessary and mount them onto a Smartbar. This presented a couple of problems, not the least of which was there really isn't anywhere on a poly Smartbar to actually mount spotlights. "Just go and get one of those Unibar mounting brackets that fix on behind the number plate", I hear you say; well I looked at them and they have 3 major drawbacks for my liking. Firstly, mounting the 240s' on one of these bars would have the lights close together and basically blocking the grill intake, secondly they'd sit too high for my liking and be out in the breeze too much as well as causing the lights to be in the line of sight where the covers would reflect back at me when the lights are on, and thirdly, and most importantly, when in place they only protrude 50mm from the front of the bar which isn't enough to get the Blitzs' to sit properly without major surgery to the bar, the light mount base or both. So what to do, hmmmmmmm.......... well, after a bit of research and a bit of a think I came up with a custom mount that I had fabricated at the local Metaland outlet out of 5mm aluminium for under $75 which is a very competitive price compared to the Unibars out there where I saw prices ranging from $65 at Kmart to $99 at Repco with the other auto supply places around here somewhere in between. Not only that but it's a damn site stronger than any Unibar I've seen and allows the lights to be mounted lower and wider so as to cause minimal interference to airflow and the headlights plus they're able to be put on and taken off in under a minute with a battery drill or power screwdriver and a spanner with the power leads tucked neatly away in the lower air intake when not in use.

It needs a coat of paint to match the bar I recon but otherwise I'm very happy with it

The number plate is more to cover the gusset and help redirect airflow back into the grill than to be seen as I'll have a sticker made this week that'll locate on the top crossbar so it's easily visible.

The whole thing not including the Blitzs' came to just over $500 bucks so I'm stoked.

Smartbar - $50 (ebay)
freight - $72.50
new mounting kit - $75.00 (old one lost in transit by Star Track: )
replacement 70mm fogs - $125.00 (Old ones broken)
Amber dye for bar lights -$10.00
dash switches -$8.00
auto electrician -$100
assorted bits& pieces - $40
Custom light bracket - $75
---------------------------------
Total $555.50

I do like it when things go right, I'm : : :

Cheers all
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

I'm pretty sure that you will find your light mounts deemed an "illegal foward protruding extension" that doesn't meet "adr airbag requirements"
But other then that well done on the budget front and as long as it does the job you want it too all good.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
I'm pretty sure that you will find your light mounts deemed an "illegal foward protruding extension" that doesn't meet "adr airbag requirements"
But other then that well done on the budget front and as long as it does the job you want it too all good.
i have to agree orbit, that light bracket could remove limbs in the wrong circumstances , if the law guys pull you up they might well ask for removal of it, i have been knocked off for less, it looks a good job all the same.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I also agree guys that it's probably not to ADR requirements that's why I needed it to be able to go on and off quickly and easily. The idea is to leave the lights on it permenently, and hopefully correctly adjusted for the most part, so I can just pull over at dusk, whip it out and put it on then at sun up or there abouts pull it back off again. It was never intended to be on while in built up areas just for open road night driving. I don't think there's ever a need for driving lights in populated areas so having big lights on in town is overkill for the most part and just something else to get damaged in a busy car park. Having said that, if I get harrassed about them it won't take much to add a nudge bar on that protrudes out past the front of the lights. I considered that but didn't want to add the extra weight unnecessarily considering its intended use.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice install ... the Unibars that you can buy are absolutely crap ... I tried one ages ago ... and it was weak as anything.

So I bought a nudge bar.

I see you have a Combo Filter and a clear cover ... I have found the Combos on both lights will be fine ... as you can still get a decent spot from the light (as the actual spot beam comes from outside the diffuser and concentrates in the centre (about 750m down the road).

I still need to upgrade my globes to the GL06 ones though ... I have been meaning to get around to it Orbit ... trust me :hihi:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Nice install ... the Unibars that you can buy are absolutely crap ... I tried one ages ago ... and it was weak as anything.

So I bought a nudge bar.

I see you have a Combo Filter and a clear cover ... I have found the Combos on both lights will be fine ... as you can still get a decent spot from the light (as the actual spot beam comes from outside the diffuser and concentrates in the centre (about 750m down the road).

I still need to upgrade my globes to the GL06 ones though ... I have been meaning to get around to it Orbit ... trust me :hihi:
Bought a pair of GL06s' last week and am giving them a try out in the Blitzs' on my work truck this week before they go into the wagon lights at the end of the week and yes, the difference is significant to be sure. But there's a question mark over the durability of them compared to the GL01 as the filiment is so much finer. I figure if they survive on my truck which travels on dirt roads every day(in daylight) then they should certainly be good to go for highway use.
Also , I like my clear covers and one combo is enough for me as I think the +50 globes in the headlights throw enough lateral light for me to see anything I need to worry about, especially as I tend to straddle the centre line unless there is other traffic coming at me, so I've got maximum time and space to react if something jumps out at me.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have been using the GL01's for about ... ummm ... nearly 2 years ... still going strong ... and they get a lot of use out on the highways at night ... and out near home in the evening.

I might try a GL06 and a GL01 side-by-side and see what the difference is going to be.

I find the peripheral light beam from the Combos to be bloody awesome ... there is a massive difference compared to using the factory headlights with +50s (as I am using projectors with +50s on my AU ... and I find the peripheral beam on mine fantastic .... I just find my 240 Blitz with the combos great indeed.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

The GL01's will last longer and are therefore better if you travel dirt alot.
The GL06 are a highperformance globe with about half the life of the GL01's Remember you have the option of both vertical and horizontal filaments, if you need to see far you need the vertical if you want spread you want the horizontal.
Also you the best upgrade you can do is to blue combo filters.

The survival test of the GLO6 on your truck during day will amount to a pooftienth of SFA... The only significant damage that occurs to a filament (in general use) is while it is hot, a filament is ALOT stronger when it is cold... especially with the GL06 as it is thinner and "burns" hotter is more prone to thermal (on and off alot) and physical shok while in use. But even so you will get atleast 50hours out of the Gl06 on very corrugated roads, before the vibration fatigue stresses become too much.
The GL06 is a significantly better globe to the GL01 in terms of output and as such more then justifies it's added expense of more regular replacement.

ORB>
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

BTW the nudge bar weight is not heavy enough to even be a consideration in economey etc.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I find my Bpcar nudge bar was lighter than I expected ... and the ECb Nudge Bar on the Territory (larger nudge bar) ... was bloody light as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I would have gone for Cibie, you could have solved a few problems, they're smaller than the Lightforce (albiet twice the price) therefore they would'nt block airflow or the numberplate (dont try driving in NSW like that ) The bracket may not block the grille airflow but how much air is it blocking from the front bar?

Dont forget the lower the lights the less effective they are.
Old 13-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
BTW the nudge bar weight is not heavy enough to even be a consideration in economy etc.
The extra weight has nothing to do with economy . It has to do with extra weight further forward of the mounting points on the poly bar which is only really the 2 bolts into the embedded threads in the bar. The more weight further forward- the more stress is put on the threads and over time they might begin to pull out. I say "might" as I don't have any experience with poly bars so don't know what, if anything, might happen, plus, I figured the more weight forward the more tendency to want to shudder, wobble and vibrate on rough surfaces in theory which would only stress the globe filaments more. Having said all that and after reading your thread about and seeing the killer setup on your ute I bow before your vastly superior and extensive knowledge of all things lightforce, as you're obviously a connoisseur of good night vision, and welcome your input immensely .........and would love to pick your brains one day about the HID conversion as your light setup is truly awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOlane
I would have gone for Cibie, you could have solved a few problems, they're smaller than the Lightforce (albeit twice the price) therefore they wouldn't block airflow or the numberplate (don't try driving in NSW like that ) The bracket may not block the grille airflow but how much air is it blocking from the front bar?
I already had the Blitzs' and the Cibies are allot heavier as well which makes a difference (see above) and as for airflow, if you mean the flow to the lower radiator intake at the bottom of the bar then it's not reduced much more than it would be with the original number plate and not enough to effect the cooling of the motor significantly I would have thought, especially at night when air temps tend to be allot cooler on the whole.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 13-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

I really wouldn't be concerned about the extra weight foward of the front suspension ect. i've not ever seen anyone with any problems like you describe might happen.

And gasolane....cibies...the list of cons well out weighs the pros.
1. they are heavy..leading to morE vibration and bulb failure.
2. they use (last i checked) vapour deposited instead of electro deposited reflectors, also the alloy LF use for their reflector is much much better.
3. cibie are harder to mod to HID
thats just to start.

which cibie model were you talking about being twice the price?
Old 13-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I already had the Blitzs' and the Cibies are allot heavier as well which makes a difference (see above) and as for airflow, if you mean the flow to the lower radiator intake at the bottom of the bar then it's not reduced much more than it would be with the original number plate and not enough to effect the cooling of the motor significantly I would have thought, especially at night when air temps tend to be allot cooler on the whole.
If you already had the Blitz's great, I thought you'd just bought them.
RE: Airflow, I meant the Oscar's are a smaller diameter light and could be mounted higher giving a better spread down the road.

There's two mounted behind the grille on my old Sportsman below. Yeah I know, the grille would affect the output, but I was prepared to lose some light for the benefit of not having a nudge bar and the fact no one could steal them. Plus the added benefit of scaring the crap out of people that drive in the daytime with their lights (unknowingly) on high beam

Quote:
And gasolane....cibies...the list of cons well out weighs the pros.
1. they are heavy..leading to morE vibration and bulb failure.
2. they use (last i checked) vapour deposited instead of electro deposited reflectors, also the alloy LF use for their reflector is much much better.
3. cibie are harder to mod to HID
thats just to start.

which cibie model were you talking about being twice the price?
Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to have to go in to bat for the Frog brand here

1# Heavier maybe, but much better built than most Aux lights around.
2# ? Dont know.
3# Couldn't you just buy HID lights instead of modifying.

Cibie Oscar. I paid around $200 each 5yrs ago.
Maybe I'm just getting old and loosing track with current trends but we used to use Cibie's for rallying. the lead crystal glass lens allowed maximum light to the road and the standard 55w globe didn't drain the engine of power. This was very important as we had 100w headlights and four 55w Oscars. Total light output was then 300w, had we used 100w spotlight globes it would have been 600w and drained far too much power from the motor.

But like I said earlier to Bushbasher, had I allready owned a pair of lights that I liked I would'nt throw them in the bin then run out and Buy Oscars.
Old 13-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

No worries gasolane!!
not bagging just pointing out a few things.
The weight issue is a big thing, the strenght of the lightforce GRP housing and lexan lense is an insurmountable combination that can't be approached by a regular glass steel/alloy body and lense combination. The LF are much much stronger and more durable(no metal fatigue) they also wear very very well.
As for the size i he could have gone the 140 or 170 BUt the air flow isn't really that restricted. Premium xenon filled quartz envolope bulbs 10w to 100w are availalbe.
The cost of modifing the LF blitz to HID is about 1/3rd of buying OEM HID and only takes up 2hours of the most clumsy persons time. The other problem with Cibie are that modding them to HID will drastically shorter the reflector life as there is no UV sheilding or sacrifical coating on the cibie lense as there is on the 240.

Not wanting to flame anyone, just point out that technology has moved on ALONG way since metal cases that crak or are heavy and glass that is the same.

ORB>

Yes LF are more expensive but they are just such a better light...better built, better output, longer life if well maintained and customer service is second to none.
Old 13-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

One of the guys at work has Cibies ... and I do admit they are a good light indeed.

He is kinda jeaous that I have the LFs though ... he was surprised how light the LFs are and how strong as well.

After seeing a 4" chunk of coal come off the back of a truck ... bounce on the road in front of me and smacked my driver's side driving light (then flew over the roof missing the rest of the ute) .... I literally had to change my pants ... as I thought the coal was going to come through the windscreen and hit me.

I checked the light afterwards and there was not a mark on it ... I was in disbelief .... I was doing around 100-110km/h at the time following a truck and hand no time to avoid it.

This was when I had the clear covers over them (before i bought the combo covers).

I thought at the time I'd spend a little more for the lights (after reading many reviews in the 4WD magazine) ... but I didn't have the cash at the time to fork out for the HID version .... I also opted for the lower model Blitz as they had adjustable beam as well (as the XGTs were fixed beam along with the HID versions).

I have my left LF driving light wound out a bit ... and the right one not quite on pencil/spot ... and I have lined them up that the right one is dead centre inside the left beam (kinda like a bullseye) .. and then the combo filter over it to give the flat beam of light across the road.

I think the only lights at the moment that will give the LFs are a run for their money though are the newer Hellas (they are getting close in size now and they have HID OEM version as well) ... will be interesting to see how it all goes.

And the Good thing about LF ... they are Australian Designed/Built/Owned.
Old 13-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
I really wouldn't be concerned about the extra weight foward of the front suspension ect. i've not ever seen anyone with any problems like you describe might happen.
Sorry Orbit, I think you mis read what I wrote, I didn't mention the suspension which has nothing to do with it, it has to do with the embedded bolts/threads in the front of the poly bar that the whole bracket and lights are bolted to and the possability that they might pull out over time with the added weight tugging down on the bolts on rough surfaces or from sharp jolts etc.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 13-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few of the guys at work use LF on there line trucks, while other use IPF and the LF out preform the IPF's no end. The only thing with the LF's is they don't like hitting 'roos at 110km/h but then i don't think any light would.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

no worries bushbasher... i thought you were talking about using a nudgebar like on mine...which mounts to the metal framing behind the bar.