Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Damn Bodykit :(

So I'm still getting used to parking my AU, and because its lower at the front than what I've ever been used to driving, I parked it facing the gutter and scraped all the paint off underneath the front of my kit :(

Minor cosmetic damages, which can wait a while to be fixed.

Until.... reversing off the gutter. Broke a couple of clips on the passenger side and put a small crack in it on the side just under where the indicator gets to its triangular point. Anything over 60k's an hour and the bit that connects it to the underneath wheel arch blows back, rubbing against my tyre.

When I first inspected the car it had a similar crack on the back of the bodykit, which I requested be fixed before I took delivery. A great job was done on it, you can hardly tell its there (edit: that's a lie, you can't tell there was a crack there at all). By luck I have the name of the place that the dealership used to fix it, so hopefully it won't cost me too much more than a couple of hundred bucks to get this one fixed up. I can hold off getting the underside resprayed for now, but I just want it not looking dodgy with a crack and out of alignment anymore! Plus I value my tyre, I don't want all the rubber taken off by that guard thinggy.

That's my vent for the night.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Gutters, speed humps are a bugger.. you'll know now to avoid all :P

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How big was the curb? your car needs to be lowered 3" going by your pics..lol.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

LOL, the surprising thing is that it wasn't that big at all, just a normal height at the local shopping centre. I guess I was so used to putting the wheels of the Camry I used to drive against the actual concrete, I'll have to remember now that I can't do that anymore. Pity I've learned the hard way!

And one of the first things I want to get done to it is lowering it, now I'm not so sure, I think I need to fully get used to it first, if I drop it any lower I think I'm gonna be cracking the bodykit even more.

But yeah, I think I'll park in the more open section, facing other cars now, instead of against the bloody curb.

Speed humps haven't proved a problem.....yet........
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 21-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
LOL, the surprising thing is that it wasn't that big at all, just a normal height at the local shopping centre. I guess I was so used to putting the wheels of the Camry I used to drive against the actual concrete, I'll have to remember now that I can't do that anymore. Pity I've learned the hard way!

And one of the first things I want to get done to it is lowering it, now I'm not so sure, I think I need to fully get used to it first, if I drop it any lower I think I'm gonna be cracking the bodykit even more.

But yeah, I think I'll park in the more open section, facing other cars now, instead of against the bloody curb.

Speed humps haven't proved a problem.....yet........
I always reverse into car parks that have a gutter. The back usually clears the gutters no worries at all.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I thought that afterwards, when looking at my car side on from a bit of a distance to see how noticable the damage was, I thought the back looks a little higher, maybe I should reverse in from now on, or not park against the gutter at all.
Quote:
Old 22-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
eXi7w0unD

riska, same problem cept i havent dunn it yet. i got ts50 kit on and this sat its getting low, real low
Old 22-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Yeah just gotta be real careful of it on gutters, steep driveways etc. Mine went on the back of a tilt tray today and i tell ya that was a mission. both front and back skirts were just scrapping and thats with chocks of wood to help. I have seen what happened to you happen so many times before, people drive over the gutter, it scraped so they reverse off tearing the front bar off. I back in to most parks now aswell as the rear is a little higher than the front.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Lucky it wasn't torn right off.

Got under the car after work tonight in daylight instead of torchlight and it looks to be a couple of broken bits held with screws, but the main part was the front inner wheel guard which I managed to get clipped back onto the main bumper bar, so hopefully that will hold for a few more weeks until I get time to get quotes to repair the thing properly and get the crack in the kit fixed.

I'm going to be so much more careful in future, I've been driving the car carefully as, haven't even had the guts to give it a thrashing (I'm used to 4-cylinder vehicles that have about -1 dead horsepower)!
Quote:
Old 22-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on how bad the crack / tear in the bar is, i'd probably consider putting some sort of tape over it, as vibrations from driving may make it worse
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post