Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default people with spools

yo... only people with spools respond :P

I have a spool in my car, I want to know from someone who has experienced it, how much weight have you had in your car and didn't snap an axel? i want to know.. if I was to travel 1800k with a car load of stuff .. not near as heavy as say... when towing a fridge, dryer, washing machine etc.. on a trailer. just probably has heavy as 5 people in a car.. maybe a bit heavier.. so any ideas I should be fine yeah?

i have given my car hell with the spool, cornering the wrong way.. etc

just don't wanna get half way and my axel desides to snap because it doesn't like me driving styles!! and stranded

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

take a spare set of axles and tools. And I don't have a spool. :P
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You have a spool and are worried about axles snapping? I think you need to take the spool out.

Or man up.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

I have had a spool in my car on a few different occations and I say you're mad to drive around with a spool in your daily driver, but thats just me.

On the topic of your little trip I would say there's probably a 80% chance you'll not have a drama, especially if you have 28 spline axles. But then I don't like the spool for road use so I, personaly, wouldn't take the chance. But if you're keen just take the spare set of axles and some tools.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
DaNeoS
Banned

a XF on a tandem trailer behind mine, from Seaford to Parkdale not that far, but mine held up that was 2 months ago, the trip was about 20k's, coming back the trailers back wheels where off the ground coz my car is low compared to trailer....
DaNeoS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Woah, safety plus right there.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, just dont drive crazy on your trip when fully loaded... gotta drive to the conditions.

my gf's brother had a r31 skyline wagon, 28 spline axles, and gave it hell. never broke an axle. fully loaded with people, donuts etc... still donut marks on gympie rd after a few months...
Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

With spools the axles break not because of the weight or the power, but because of the constant twisting they get from winding up all the time.

Everytime you turn while driving the axles are getting wound (twisted) and then unwinding. this will eventually weaken the metal and the axle will break. If you get any peice of steel (except for springs )and bend it constantly it will break, axles are no different

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

*edit* bah, image bandwidth exceeded
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

by the way sorry for the stupid question but i have to learn - what is a spool? i have no knowledge at all about this part.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is a pic of a mini spool. it goes into your open diff centre to lock the axles.

Below is a pic of a full spool

you bolt your diff gears to this (i believe so anyway) and your axles go into it and also lock the axles.

say if your turning to the left, your drivers side wheel has to spin faster to turn the distance of the corner and your inside wheel doest travel as fast, as it doesnt have as much distance to cover.

with a spool'd diff, the inside wheel travels the same distance as the outside wheel.