Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
UltraLowEd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Paint help

I have no idea what im doing and im need some help, I have decided to try and paint my Grille off my ed, Ive cleaned it, and i have sand paper from 80 gritt to 400 gritt and ive sanded it back with the sand paper now im ready to prime, how many coats of paint should i do?

UltraLowEd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

400 is a little rough, i'd be finishing off with no less than 800

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first mistake was using 80 grit! That's coarse as. Make sure you get most of the deep sanding marks out before you paint it. As for priming it, give it lots of light coats allowing a few minutes between coats. This will build up the primer without getting any runs.

Let it dry for 24hrs and rub it back with 600, 800 then 1200 wet and dry (making sure the paper is wet). I imagine your using a touch-up can to spray it, so using 1200 to finish it off is a good idea.

Spray the colour the same as the primer....lots of light coats slowly building up the colour until your happy with it.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
Skooter

exactly what every one else said, preperation is the key to success!, if you are using a gun, and if your painting in acrylic you will need a clear coat over the top, and if in 2pac no clear coat is required.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
fullysick1
more of an alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
exactly what every one else said, preperation is the key to success!, if you are using a gun, and if your painting in acrylic you will need a clear coat over the top, and if in 2pac no clear coat is required.
wtf : since when dont you use clear on 2pac and you dont need to use clear on acrylic unless its metallic
fullysick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

year i used like 80grit for the final sand, boy was that a mistake, i thought the prima would fill it in, oh well, throw them mirrors out..clear coat looks heaps better on 2pac..
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

i went to a auto paint shop (perrows) and asked about getting some paint to do the strips around the car and the door handles. he gave me this great big list of stuff, ie. paint thinners, hardner etc. there was heaps of that kinda stuff. whats it all needed for? i reakon id need the guy to give me an instruction booklet with the amount of stuff i was needed for. the price was pretty good, $130, iv forgotton how much paint that was!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
i went to a auto paint shop (perrows) and asked about getting some paint to do the strips around the car and the door handles. he gave me this great big list of stuff, ie. paint thinners, hardner etc. there was heaps of that kinda stuff. whats it all needed for? i reakon id need the guy to give me an instruction booklet with the amount of stuff i was needed for. the price was pretty good, $130, iv forgotton how much paint that was!
Well, you need reducer to thin the paint and hardener to umm harden it :P Also there's plastic primer if the moulds are unpainted, prepsol to clean the surface before spraying, possibly Hifill primer aswell to prep the surface. There's a fair few ingredients you need :P

I'll be glad to never hear those words again after this weekend :

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 11-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

im spraying mine on cup weekend. in relation to the primer color, if i just use grey primer filler, is that a wise choice because im spraying the car a particular shade of RED.

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I'll be glad to never hear those words again after this weekend :
Stone

Chips

:P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I thought 2pac was killed in 1996?

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Panel

Beater :P