Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
paddle

Thumbs down Excessive fuel consumption

I have recently been having massive fuel consumption issues and a bad smell coming from the exhaust on my au1.
Yesterday I installed a brand new oxygen sensor (bosh) as I have heard they can be a problem after 80thou, IT WAS CHARCOAL and my spark plugs where the same,so I replaced the lot and also did the fuel filter while I was at it.
I reset the ecu and went for a nice drive,followed the procedure on a previous thread and thought all would be fine.
My mate took it to work this morning,Cranbourne to Port Melbourne and back so everything should be set right by now.
I put $40 fuel in it later that day,DTO said 308k to empty,got home turned car off at 305,turn car on later,it was down to 296,bottom line is i'm always "losing" fuel when I stop the car,then I go back later to have lost on average 6-10 ks per trip??,then whilst driving I can watch the DTO count down like a stopwatch!,keeps getting lower,it adds up after a while cause it now gets to just under 30k left and is out of fuel,I have replaced everything that I can think of,except the map sensor,where is it, what is it and can it be cleaned?
any pics would be nice as I don't even know what im looking for!
Im lucky to get 20k to $10 atm,
Is there anything else i may have missed?
I am at wits end,she is getting too expensive,any ideas what is wrong?
sorry for such a long post!

paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
XEESP_351

so running real rich?
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
XEESP_351

possibly coolant temp sesnsor faulty which is located in lower thermostat housing, assuming I6
If was map sensor it would be running really rough too
Old 14-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
JoesAu

it sounds pretty bad. My car usally drop 10km's on idle on the DTO, i think its normal cos it counts ahead wen u top it up with fuel and start it, then wen u turn it off then start it again it knows exactly how much it really has in the tank and u get an accurate reading on the DTO, my car has always done it ive never worried about it. Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected, fuel filter is correctly on. Hav u got a aftermarket exhaust cos i know the smell u have cos my car does it too it stinks bad, even with the stock exhaust it stunk. The car is running way rich take it in and get it analyzed on a dyno thats what im planning it will tell u your problems, I got 425km's out of a tank a month ago.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr t-series
possibly coolant temp sesnsor faulty which is located in lower thermostat housing, assuming I6
where do I find that and is it expensive? Could that be a reason my car is running cold too?
I have just replaced the thermostat (genuine) and coolant (nulon) and still seems to sit on the N bit of NORMAL
Old 15-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
JoesAu

N bit is where they run perfect spot on. unless its a 40 degree day it will move slightly, and if ur getting up it it mite move a little.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
XEESP_351

unsure of price shouldnt be dear just a sensor
It screws into the lower thermostat housing located at the front of the engine on the inlet side
i think it does control temp gauge too
Wot it does is it sends coolant temp to ECU to help adjust fuel mixture (lean or rich) (as do a few other senses) when engine running. If it senses that the engine is cold all the time it will sentd a rich signal to ECU. ITs there for start up to give more fuel to run properly when cold, like a choke does on a carburetter.
Any good parts stores should have 1 id recomend REPCO on a sunday
Should really take it to mechanic that has an exhaust gas anyliser they will tell u for sure
Old 15-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the temp guage is in the normal range you can rule out coolant sensor.
The DTE isn't gospel, it averages and will go up & down depending on driving conditions.

20k to $10 that is like 160k's / tank? You have a fuel leak my friend if that is the case.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
XEESP_351

does it blow black or grey smoke when u rev it?
Old 15-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What condition is the catalytic converter in???
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle
I have replaced everything that I can think of,except the map sensor,where is it, what is it and can it be cleaned?
The MAP sensor is located under the throttle body. In laymans terms, where the intake pipe joins the manifold, look under that.. there is a little black box screwed into it. It is not a cleanable item, they are about $150 to buy.

Quote:
No, it wouldnt. It would simply run rich. If the MAP sensoor dies the ECU goes into "default" mode and runs very rich, the actual 'feel' is simply a loss of power but the engine will remain as smooth as it ever was.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
If the temp guage is in the normal range you can rule out coolant sensor.
The DTE isn't gospel, it averages and will go up & down depending on driving conditions.

20k to $10 that is like 160k's / tank? You have a fuel leak my friend if that is the case.
I guess that rules that out as you said,no apparrant fuel leaks either,checked and rechecked the lines/fuel filter,all good.
Old 15-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
paddle

Quote:
does it blow black or grey smoke when u rev it?
was blowing black smoke till I changed the o2 sensor,still puffs a mixture of black/grey then it lightens up a biit with a hard "double" rev to 6thou a small backfire then greyer smoke (if that makes sense to you) but exhaust can still smell bad at times
Old 15-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the smell is like sulphur?
the smell indicates a really bad tune that, as you know, might indicate something is way out of whack. A reply here makes mention of your Cat - it might be stuffed now but eh cause really needs addressing.
systematically work your way through - check on simple things such as the air intake, filter etc first. reset the ECU and see if a difference is made - it could have spiked or it could be damaged.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
the smell is like sulphur?
the smell indicates a really bad tune that, as you know, might indicate something is way out of whack. A reply here makes mention of your Cat - it might be stuffed now but eh cause really needs addressing.
systematically work your way through - check on simple things such as the air intake, filter etc first. reset the ECU and see if a difference is made - it could have spiked or it could be damaged.
woops, noticed right now you reset the ECU.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post