Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
white_XR8

Default How low can you go ?

Wats the lowest legal limit when lowering a car ? I heard stories about a coke can and others say 100mm? i am not sure but keen to lower my car? also when lowering seeing i am new to this is it you only get the springs? would it be worth getting shocks etc ? anything else you guys reckon might be worth getting i got brand new hancook silica low profile tyres with 18inch BFGTP wheels, i got new brake pads and discs on the front antyhing else that would be worth adding ?

white_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lowest point under your car should be no less than 100mm apparently
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

yeah normally its the exhaust which is the lowest point, normally near the cat. 100mm is the legal limit but most places will go lower for you anyway. if you go to the legal limit then your best to get shorter shocks, i think you only need shorter shocks in the rear, apparently the front dosent need shorter ones but im not 100% sure there.
Old 18-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Kilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
lowest point under your car should be no less than 100mm apparently
Thats the legal limit in WA. Rule of thumb is that if you can driver over a coke can and the lowers point of your car doesn't knock it over, you should be ok.
Kilma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
vigilante000
/\/\etaL and V8s -Awesome

The 'official' rule is that you must retain 2/3's of your suspension travel to remain legal.

Thats the rule! Rules are meant to be broken though.
I think there is something in that for all of us!

Cheers
ViGiLaNtE351

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BA XR8 MKII

EB Falcon ThermoFan Conversion

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=vigilante000

BA Falcon ICC Speaker Wiring

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342785

BA Wiper Motor in XE

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=1#post5393955
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vigilante000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
micksta

here in vic .. the coke can theory is rubbish.

100mm
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Yeah, a coke can is like 130mm high
Old 18-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'd be surprised if my car could get over a coke can on it's side :P
Old 18-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

100mm AND not to be lowered more than 30% of original height in SA
Old 18-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

i went to the suspension center on monday and apparently they have raised the legal limit to i think it is 5 inches clearance (VIC) although i am not 100%

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksta
here in vic .. the coke can theory is rubbish.

100mm
where did people get this coke can crap from anyway? like a coke can would be used as a tool to see if your car is at a roadworthy height anyway, yeah and its 100mm from the lowest point of your car, do roadworthies at work
Old 18-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

100 mm at lowest point between front centre line (from centre of your front wheel looking across to the front wheel on opp side of car) to your diff or rear axle housing. Overhangs (front and rear bumpers) apparently dont apply to the 100mm rule. DONT FORGET THAT EXHAUST CAN BE TUCKED UP CLOSER TO FLOOR PAN IF NEEDED.
Old 19-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

I just lowered my car on King super super lows a couple of days ago and is the perfect height with 18" wheels, sits nice and low and havent had any trouble with speed humps and stuff. i researched this topic a bit on the forums and was advised that u definately need to replace the front shocks if u go super lows or lower otherwise ur alignment and stuff will be shite and ur tyres will wear very quickly. also was recommended doing the rear shocks as otherwise the springs will not be held down properly and can shift when jacked or hitting pot hole etc. I replaced all 4 shocks, very happy with the result!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
white_XR8

Well i was planning on getting super low king springs i think i was quoted about $350 from memory but didn't think of shocks until now, seeing i have the same car and wheels= size as you "XR6TickfordBoy" how much did you pay for the lowering and the shocks ? to give me a general idea? cheers
Old 19-10-2006, 01:26 AM   #15
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_XR8
Well i was planning on getting super low king springs i think i was quoted about $350 from memory but didn't think of shocks until now, seeing i have the same car and wheels= size as you "XR6TickfordBoy" how much did you pay for the lowering and the shocks ? to give me a general idea? cheers
I paid approx $660 for springs and shocks at REPCO. can get them cheaper if u shop around but I was in a rush on a sat afternoon. paid $250 for installation when I got the wheels put on. Just make sure u get shortened shocks as thats the difference as the car is lowered u need shortened shocks to hold the springs in place as stock one's are too long! u can take shortcuts as in only replace the fronts but i wanted to do it properly to avcoid future problems such as tyre wear, dont wanna falk out $200+ for new tyres so it depends how u wanna do it. if u shop around u could prob do it for bout $700. getting wheel alignment done is a must also! but worth it love the look of 18's and sittin nice and low. looks heaps tougher!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
Old 19-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Kilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_Lightning
where did people get this coke can crap from anyway? like a coke can would be used as a tool to see if your car is at a roadworthy height anyway, yeah and its 100mm from the lowest point of your car, do roadworthies at work
The coke can was only ever used as a rough guide to measure. It was never law.
Kilma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #17
white_XR8

XR6Tickfordboy how much did your Pod Filter, Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-Flo Cat indervidualy and how much KW Gain did you get from putting them oN? i have a ef xr8 pritty much same standard KW as yours but the only thing i have done to it is put a herrods exhuast from cats back ($800) and a hotdog, was looking to get a pod filter, extractors, pacemaker, not sure what a hi-flo cat is ? anything else you reckon ?
Old 19-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_XR8
XR6Tickfordboy how much did your Pod Filter, Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-Flo Cat indervidualy and how much KW Gain did you get from putting them oN? i have a ef xr8 pritty much same standard KW as yours but the only thing i have done to it is put a herrods exhuast from cats back ($800) and a hotdog, was looking to get a pod filter, extractors, pacemaker, not sure what a hi-flo cat is ? anything else you reckon ?
extractors $460 fitted
Hi-flo cat $300 fitted
pod & adapter approx $80
Power gain not sure getting it on the dyno for a power run on Monday morn.
But i can say that the extractors, cat and cat back system has improved the drivability of the car, feels fantastic to drive than pre the full exhaust. I would recommend doing a pod that is enclosed to get cold air as that will be where any real gains will come from! If ur good at handy work fit the pod in the original air box i plan to do this soon.
Hi-flo cat is the catalytic converter on the exhast at the endof the manifold (extractors) that is to purify the exhaust of toxic stuff that harms the environment, a stock cat can affect the flow of exhaust so u put a hi-flo which is designed to flow better than a standard cat, if you put extractors and a cat back system on ur car for better exhaust flow u may as well put a hi-flo cat to make sure the exhaust flows as best as possible!
Old 19-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
white_XR8

Thanks alot for all that info XR6TickfordBoy thats helped me heaps given me a better undersanding of what things go wear and what there for lol well i might go get a K&N pod filter fitt that tmrw my car is getting welsh plugs, fine tune, and service atm so should be running a dream when i get it back latter today extractors would be the next thing i have the herrods ezhuast from cat backs with the hotdog so thats that done, then a pacemaker, chip, few little things i will be getting up near the 150RWK cant wait thanks a lot mate... anything else i'l be sure to ask... cheers
Old 19-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

No worries u seem to be doing exactly what im doing, getting the dyno to see where the power figure is at then looking at getting a unichip insatlled and tuned then a cam want around the 150rwkw mark as well!
Old 19-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
white_XR8

Well heres a question for you, what is a cam and what help does it do to the car ?
Old 19-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

RTA dictates no lower than 100mm and a gradient of 1/3.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

For what state? As said above, SA requires 100mm ground clearance from all parts of the car except axles, and the suspension must have 2/3 of the original clearance.

SA police have a big book with the legal measurements of every car, and where to measure them from, if you call Transport SA, they can tell you the height and where to measure it from. For instance E-Series are from the wheel arch vertically down to the centre of the wheel hub, but most older cars have to be measured between bumpstops.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
white_XR8

OHHHH it Hurts, lol just spoke to the guy fixing my car $920 for my car to get fixed, had to replace all the welsh plugs, water pump hose, service, finetune, labour, few seals here and there, lucky for me it wasn;t a head gasket lol i would have been a lot more money out of pocket. :( oh well what needs to be done needs to be done lol its over now running like a car should be now
Old 19-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
For what state? As said above, SA requires 100mm ground clearance from all parts of the car except axles, and the suspension must have 2/3 of the original clearance.

SA police have a big book with the legal measurements of every car, and where to measure them from, if you call Transport SA, they can tell you the height and where to measure it from. For instance E-Series are from the wheel arch vertically down to the centre of the wheel hub, but most older cars have to be measured between bumpstops.
RTA is only NSW. there are different Motoring Bodies for different States.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Here in tas the body work must not be any lower than 100mm of the ground at any point.